Options

Interface Vlan

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Someone explain to me the relationship between a vlan and the interface vlan's please. The book i studied never covered it. Until recently I figured that the Int vlan was pretty much like a loopback interface, a virtual interface you could ssh to and ping.

While following some labs I had to set a new native vlan to vlan 20 and create int vlan 20 too. I'm assuming that theres more to what the interface vlan does.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you familiar with the concept of routing on a stick? It's a similar concept without an external router. It's built in functionality. Imagine someone stuck a router inside your switch and the SVI (Switched Virtual Interface = Vlan Interface) is the same as the sub interface in the router on a stick.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    its a make believe interface, aka logical interface. Layer 3 switches use this interface as exit points when receiving packets destined for different VLANs. Think of it as having a make believe router within the switch as opposed to two different networking devices. If you have two devices, the router's interface gets an IP address corresponding to it's VLAN/Subnet. But if you have a Layer 3 device which combines these features, we would still need this VLAN interface to act in place of a Router's interface. These VLAN interfaces, or even a interface on a separate router, is used as the default gateway of clients. (the exit point to get to a different network)
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    thanks for explaining this one guys. I think I mostly get it now, though I wouldn't always be too sure when a vlan interface would be required to get a configuration working.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nik 99 wrote: »
    thanks for explaining this one guys. I think I mostly get it now, though I wouldn't always be too sure when a vlan interface would be required to get a configuration working.
    They are found on Layer 3 Switches. Required for routing on them. Your next question is when and where do you use Layer 3 switches.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    They are found on Layer 3 Switches. Required for routing on them. Your next question is when and where do you use Layer 3 switches.

Ok. So when and where do you use Layer 3 switches? To my understanding it's not required as you can just use a router and layer 2 switch to achieve the same result.