Which training camp is good?

SecurityMan9SecurityMan9 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□

My employer is paying, so I think it would be good to take one.

Comments

• GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219

My employer is paying, so I think it would be good to take one.

This is like saying which car is better. I have a loan from the bank.

What kind of car?

How much money did the bank lend you?

What kind of car are you interested in?

Do yourself a favor and substitute car for training. Do yourself a favor and substitute bank for employer.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Bigger question, gimme HP and torque on that vehicle before I make a decision icon_smile.gif

Golden question for bootcamps, do you already have some experience in the subject matter covered in CISSP?
  • SecurityMan9SecurityMan9 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Bigger question, gimme HP and torque on that vehicle before I make a decision icon_smile.gif

Golden question for bootcamps, do you already have some experience in the subject matter covered in CISSP?

Yes, I have some experience in the CISSP subjects, so I'm looking for more a review, or some material on exam topics I haven't worked with before. Rather than a start from scratch boot camp.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bootcamps can be extremely pricey (i.e., overpriced). Some of them just teach you how to take the test and send you on your way. Think about whether you can get what you want through self-study via study guides, YouTube, Cybrary, etc., for a lot less money.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use this money to go to another training... something more specialized than CISSP. CISSP is well covered by books,CBT and other means. Ask to go to a SANS event, or least something that you can't get with 2 Google search. Sorry by CISSP is not an exam that should be "crammed" at least if you really want a career in IT Sec
    tedjames wrote: »
    Bootcamps can be extremely pricey (i.e., overpriced). Some of them just teach you how to take the test and send you on your way. Think about whether you can get what you want through self-study via study guides, YouTube, Cybrary, etc., for a lot less money.

They may be pricey but even if they help you get 1 or 2 questions right, and you just pass by 1 question, is it worth it?
    They may be pricey but even if they help you get 1 or 2 questions right, and you just pass by 1 question, is it worth it?

IMHO, no. it is not worth the 3-4K$ + expense for a bootcamp.
    IMHO, no. it is not worth the 3-4K$ + expense for a bootcamp.

L'argent n'est pas un objet.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□

As SteveLavoie said, SANS is the way to go. Sure, the courses run in the neighborhood of $5000 each, but not only will you learn so much more than an average bootcamp, you'll also have a certification that is very well respected in the security community. I wish my agency had the budget to send our team to SANS training.

Du Quebec?

Even if it is not your money, I don't think it is a good idea. Maybe, it is because I am working in a SMB where I can talk to the one footing the bill, but I prefer to ask him money for thing that really worth it.