** Questions on career change **

Sirhc_Jay85Sirhc_Jay85 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon all,

New to the forums and looking to find out as much knowledge/opinions on the subject as possible. The past couple of months I've been conducting a lot of research in order to find the answers I'm looking for, however the amount of directions possible in the IT/Computer field is unbelievable. First I'll give a little history about myself... Bachelors in Criminal Justice, United States Air Force, Currently Employed with the State as an Ombudsman for the Workers Compensation Administration. Prior to this position, I was with the State Probation and Parole office as a PPO 1 and prior to that position I was a Nutritionist for the State WIC Department. I've been employed with the state for almost 5 years now and the reasoning behind my job "jumping" has always been because of pursuing higher pay bands.

I've recently had time to spend with some of my outside family members who are in the computer field and they are doing well off. Being able to witness this kind of success has been life changing considering the road I've come and the road they have gone.

I would first like to remind you all that I'm not seeking to follow exact footsteps as family members mentioned above, but I have done some soul searching and would like some recommendations/opinions on how I could get started in the field of IT.

With all that being said, I've looked into taking the GISF, and again I've seen a lot of people state that its a waste of time and to just shoot for your GSEC?

My question to you all is what route would you guys recommend? How should I take on this approach? I figured that with a bachelors in criminal justice and basic cyber security certs, alongside the numerous amount of time I spend at a computer (irrelevant I am sure but still stating), I may possibly be able to open a door for opportunities elsewhere at a basic level in cyber security?

Hope to hear feedback.

Thanks again,

Sirhc_Jay85

Comments

• Sirhc_Jay85Sirhc_Jay85 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bump.

Anyone? LOL
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    basic level in cyber security

The problem is there isn't too many companies out there that are willing to put someone in a cyber security role unless they have IT experience already. Basic level cyber security opportunities usually go to people with a few years in IT already. Whether they come from a job in networking or the systems side or programming side or whatever. It all depends on what that person is most interested in doing and what area of security they want to go into.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem is there isn't too many companies out there that are willing to put someone in a cyber security role unless they have IT experience already. Basic level cyber security opportunities usually go to people with a few years in IT already. Whether they come from a job in networking or the systems side or programming side or whatever. It all depends on what that person is most interested in doing and what area of security they want to go into.

I second NetworkNewb's assessment. Not to discourage you, but it is extremely difficult for someone not in IT to land a position as in demand and complex as security. The best route would be to cut your teeth in an entry level tech job (which in itself can be difficult to land given your non-IT work history and education) and then progressively increase your responsibility to include security tasks until you can make that jump.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What concerns me is pursuing a similar path as your outside family members solely because they are doing well in that field. How passionate about computers, IT, programming, security, etc. are you?

I don't think I've ever seen an IT job ad that asks for a criminal justice degree. You might be able to get your foot in the door as a business analyst or slight possibility a risk analyst and then pivot into a more IT related role.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    I understand your thought on that statement, and as for being passionate, I would certainly say that I am passionate when it comes to computers. I enjoy building them, upgrading them, while also installing, updating and helping people with minor issues that take place at my current workplace However being passionate in regards to IT, Security, well I wouldn't know if I have a passion for those as I've simply never had experience in those fields. I do however know that I made a huge mistake by getting a degree in criminal justice. Im 32 and would really just like to get into a field that is going to pay decent while enjoying the actual job.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Changing careers because you heard another field pays better... is a mistake.

Changing careers because you HATE/BORED with what you do currently..... is a legit reason.

Figure out what you think you like about IT, and go that way.
    Maybe start with A+ work on being a desktop tech. That can lead to being a Server guy.

or maybe you like Networking, or programming, or what not.
    an "Affordable" Community College may help.

But... forget about Security.
    Generally speaking; you can't start in Security.
    you can move into Security later in your career; AFTER you've become an expert in another discipline. (desktops, servers, networking, databases, etc).

With that being said,
    i know a guy at my job.
    he has same Criminal justice background.
    he was the K9 guy that comes out to inspect suspicous packages (bombs).

He quit that career, and got a job answering calls on a helpdesk (at an MSP).
    2.5 years later, he landed on the SOC team (Security team).
    he put in the effort; got his Secuirty+, and is always trying to learn more.
    he's making 50k.

So... i guess it is possible to leverage your Criminal Justice degree in that regard.

but dont expect to just 'jump' into IT and making nice $$$.
    NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

(But if you have Passion... definitely pursue it)
    Awesome to hear your guys insight, I really appreciate it... With what I gathered, my best bet would probably be to pursue a help desk job or maybe even a Network Admin position? Of course after maybe taking some general certs like the CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+?

I did conduct a little research last night and honestly a network admin sounds exactly like the type of job im wanting. Would love to pursue that route.

Would a desktop position have to come first before ever becoming a Network admin? What type of Certs would you guys recommend to go this route?
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome to hear your guys insight, I really appreciate it... With what I gathered, my best bet would probably be to pursue a help desk job or maybe even a Network Admin position? Of course after maybe taking some general certs like the CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+?

I did conduct a little research last night and honestly a network admin sounds exactly like the type of job im wanting. Would love to pursue that route.

Would a desktop position have to come first before ever becoming a Network admin? What type of Certs would you guys recommend to go this route?

A desktop position could be useful and is the usual way to progress to an administrative role but if you could jump directly to it that would be great. Keep in mind that with any jump, you'll have to justify to hiring managers that you are just as skilled as your experience/educated counterparts

If you want to go the NA route, CCENT/CCNA could prove useful in addition to the + certifications you already mentioned
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)