Wierd Cisco 3850 issue

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
When I do a Show Flash: or DIR on one of my Cisco switches it reports no files, directory empty Has anyone seen anything like this before? It's up and running, maybe memory is just wacked and a reboot will resolve it?
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure about that particular model, but I know there are variations to that command. What about show flash0: or flash1: ? I also saw some reference online to slot0: and slot1: for onboard PCMCIA slots.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Incase if there is a typo,

can you try:
    #dir all

Should show everything
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dir all helped, thanks. Listed files for Flash-2: and Flash-3:, I tired to upload my IOS update to Flash-2, and it uploaded and verified, but it wouldn't install for all 3 switches from there. I'm assuming specifying switch 2-3 it might work, but then I'll have a IOS mismatch. I'm planning on scheduling some down time and renumbering one of the other switches to switch 1 and see if that works, if not I'll have to replace the problem switch.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How are you trying to install the software? Is the stack in install mode or bundle mode? Recommended is install mode as reboots won't have to extract the image everytime if its in bundle mode. Also, to make the reboot quicker i recommend you copy the image to ALL of the switches in the stack not just one so the master doesnt have to copy to all of the slaves.

To verify if it is install you can see it from show version

If it is install mode
    software install file flash:cat3k_XXX.bin switch 1-3
    then it will prompt you to reboot the shelf
    Install Mode, I tired copying the bin file to all the switches, verifying the MD5 hash, and running the install. So far, most stacks work fine, a few give me an "version of bin different then flash" error, this stack is the the most flaky because Switch 1 doesn't list anything in it's flash:, gives an I/O error when attempting to copy or run an install from another switch.
    An update to this issue, after the switch was rebooted the flash0: directory had files in it again, and was functioning normally. Actually I'm surprised people don't run across more issues on Cisco switches then they do, switches often run for years perfectly fine without a reboot, show me a Windows system that's half as reliable.

As for the IOS upgrade issue I was having, when I ran the command from the USB drive, it unpacked and installed fine.