Advice on a job decision

JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everybody,I've came to another point in my life where I have to make a career decision. As I don't have "a lot" of experience in IT, it's difficult for myself to make these types of decisions. I graduated last year with an A.A.S in Computer Networking Technologies while working Help Desk with the school's IT department. Once I graduated, I was able to land a job at a small ISP doing Tier 1 duties (verifying power/equipment, checking duplex settings, etc.) which I've been doing for almost 10 moths. They pay for my WGU tuition and any networking certs I want to take. The company really likes me and says my advancement opportunities will come soon.I just got offered a job at a MSP for Level 2 support. It's a smaller company as well, supporting small businesses. It seems like there will be advancement opportunities here too (something that's really important to me). The job would give me a 25% increase in pay. Should I stay at my current position or take the job at the MSP? Is there anything I should be thinking about in making this decision? Any advice would be useful.

Comments

• NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    JD20,

First off, try to develop a spreadsheet to see the apple-to-apple comparison on compensation. Also, do include what any commute would cost you. Second, does the MSP provide a path to get where you want to go professionally quicker?

For the smaller company I would have asked during interviews who has moved up. How long it took. Why was that person able to move up? (IE: company growth, departure of someone, so on.) Also, go on linkedin and see if you can find anyone who used to work there, and left. Try to take them out to coffee. You should get a good feel about the people, and culture.

HTH
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Will the new job also offer tuition reimbursement?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you not happy with your current role? 10 months sounds like a too short of a timeframe to start jumping ship.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also ask yourself if you would be okay with billing hours. Making sure you offer solutions to those small businesses that you have to support. Sales/Technical support working with a MSP. But like others said you need to do a comparison apples to apples, pros and cons.
  • IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jump ship to where the experience is at. A 25% pay increase with more experience is great. But like everyone else say weigh the pros and cons. But if your not there tech wise don't be delusional. If you do choose to jump ask your old company for a 25% raise or a promotion. If they decline they can't feel sour about you leaving.
  • JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nutsy wrote: »
    JD20,First off, try to develop a spreadsheet to see the apple-to-apple comparison on compensation. Also, do include what any commute would cost you. Second, does the MSP provide a path to get where you want to go professionally quicker?For the smaller company I would have asked during interviews who has moved up. How long it took. Why was that person able to move up? (IE: company growth, departure of someone, so on.) Also, go on linkedin and see if you can find anyone who used to work there, and left. Try to take them out to coffee. You should get a good feel about the people, and culture.HTH
    Thanks, Nutsy. That's a great idea. I will definitely get a detailed comparison going to hopefully make my decision a little easier. As far as the commute, they are both the same distance. From what the people I've spoken with say, they are always looking to promote people within.
    IIIMaster wrote: »
    Jump ship to where the experience is at. A 25% pay increase with more experience is great. But like everyone else say weigh the pros and cons. But if your not there tech wise don't be delusional. If you do choose to jump ask your old company for a 25% raise or a promotion. If they decline they can't feel sour about you leaving.
    Yeah, I believe at the MSP I'll be able to get experience in various parts of IT. A 25% is certainly very nice.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    How long have they been in business? INHO, I wouldn't say anything to your current company that you are thinking about leaving, just to see if they can give a raise/promotion.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    How long have they been in business? INHO, I wouldn't say anything to your current company that you are thinking about leaving, just to see if they can give a raise/promotion.
    The ISP I'm currently with has been in business since 2002. The MSP has been in business since 2007. Yeah, I'm still unsure if I should tell them I'm potentially leaving. IMHO, I would probably stay if they could match the pay.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Just don't tell them you are thinking about leaving....
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A bachelors is a nice thing to have. A free bachelors is even nicer and not all places pay for those. But if 25% exceeds the cost of tuition at the end of the day, well the bottom line is the bottom line.

From a money perspective, I'd say go for the offer. From a human emotional perspective, I'd wait it out until you get that bachelors.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say stay there since they pay for your tuition and certs, get the most out of them. That's a good pro I'd consider, maybe 2 more years, then you can move up with more experience, a degree, and some other certs. I wish my company would pay for my WGU, who wouldn't take that opportunity?
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    My experience working for an MSP was always terrible. I was at one for almost a year and another for 3 days before quitting. It takes a certain type of personality to enjoy the MSP lifestyle. I hated being on-site working on anything because some customers would fuss about how long specific things will take, knowing they are paying per hour, etc. Sometimes stuff isn't a quick fix and they would act like you should've walked in, fixed it in 5 minutes and not charged them for it. It was frustrating.
    I am not sure of your age, but benefits is always the second thing I look at after knowing the monetary base pay. This could easily outweigh the other if one has really good benefits and the other doesn't.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nutsy wrote: »
    You should get a good feel about the people, and culture.

This is a very important consideration and to be more precise, try to ask around on the immediate superior you'll be working with as he/she will definitely have an impact on how happy will you be in the MSP (should you choose to jump ship).
    yoba222 wrote: »
    A bachelors is a nice thing to have. A free bachelors is even nicer and not all places pay for those. But if 25% exceeds the cost of tuition at the end of the day, well the bottom line is the bottom line.

Since you're working on your bachelors, you might also want to consider the workload in the MSP (if it will be manageable enough to allow you to pursue your bachelors should you decide to).
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]