Starting the journey to the MCSE

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Passed 70-410 now onto 70-411 hoping to smash it in 2 months or so...
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • stunnedsoupstunnedsoup Member Posts: 120
    Congrats! That's great news. Let us know how your 411 studying goes.
    Cisco: CCENT COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR CCNA COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR || MCSE: 70-410 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-411 [ ] 74-409 COLOR=#ff0000]✔[/COLOR 70-534 [ ] || VMWare: VCP [ ]
    Thanks amigo I plan to start on Monday reading the MS Press book and watching some CBT Nugget videos for the 70-411. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, hoping to be following you shortly.
    How many hours do you get to study during the week?
    I can usually do 2 hours a night during the week and 6-7 during the weekend.
    God deserves my best
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    Congrats man, hoping to be following you shortly.
    How many hours do you get to study during the week?
    I can usually do 2 hours a night during the week and 6-7 during the weekend.

Thanks man it wasn't as bad as I thought. The hardest areas for me on the exam were the IP v6 questions and a question on Group Policy here and there. I studied about 2 hours a day give or take during each week. The weekend maybe a hour or two since I like my free time outside of work/IT.... lol

I know right, feels like I'm back at school sometimes.
    Happy hunting with 411!! Don't forget to check for that 50% off when you schedule it.
    God deserves my best
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Passed 70-410 now onto 70-411 hoping to smash it in 2 months or so...

You Gat this Brother..........you Gat Thisicon_study.gif
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    I know right, feels like I'm back at school sometimes.
    Happy hunting with 411!! Don't forget to check for that 50% off when you schedule it.

At times it does lol... I will definitely consider that but I fortunately get the student pricing discount per my WGU email and my employer will reimburse me upon passing each exam. :)

greg9891 wrote: »
    You Gat this Brother..........you Gat Thisicon_study.gif

Thanks brotha!! :)

The next exam 70-411 is scheduled for the end of March/beginning of April. I'm moving through the content quite fast with lots of review on AD and GPO. I did get a nice refresh on VPN and remote access technologies. I definitely need to focus on NPA/NPS before attempting the exam.. icon_lol.gif

Update:

I am almost finished with all CBT Nuggets videos. It’s time for some review of MS Press and Technet articles. Afterwards practice exams and more practice exams...lol

Powering through, good for you. I have just exhausted the videos for the 410, hoping to get back into the groove of reading the book.
    God deserves my best
    Powering through, good for you. I have just exhausted the videos for the 410, hoping to get back into the groove of reading the book.

Yup I want to get it knocked out as soon as possible to spend time on other personal and professional goals outside of IT!! icon_lol.gif

Yup I want to get it knocked out as soon as possible to spend time on other personal and professional goals outside of IT!! icon_lol.gif

Outside of IT!!!!! heresy!!!
    Yeah I understand, wife wanted me to learn a foreign language with her but MCSA is so much more fun :)
    God deserves my best
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Outside of IT!!!!! heresy!!!
    Yeah I understand, wife wanted me to learn a foreign language with her but MCSA is so much more fun :)

Good choice, since September I have been going to night classes to learn how to speak German. Then coming home and continue studying for my Server MCSA. I am also in a full time job. Doing all is very hard!
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

My goal is to be done by August/September with the MCSE because I am going on vacation in October... icon_lol.gif

sounds doable, I would like to be finished by the end of the year the latest. Once I'm finished the MCSE will move onto CCNA.
    God deserves my best
    sounds doable, I would like to be finished by the end of the year the latest. Once I'm finished the MCSE will move onto CCNA.

Awesome the CCNA would be a great cert to add to your portfolio. ;)

Passed the 70-411 this morning will start on 70-412 on Monday!! :)

My resources: TechNet, CBT Nuggets, MS Press, and Sybex Server 2012 R2 Guide.

that's awesome guy. Powering through. How was it compared to the 410?
    God deserves my best
    that's awesome guy. Powering through. How was it compared to the 410?

I found it easier to be honest except for the NAP/NPS technologies which was new to me in some ways. This is because I hadn’t used it/implemented it outside of studying for the exam.

I was super familiar with VPN, Group Policy, and AD but I needed some review on some syntax lol..

• drakerdraker Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    Break time..!
    Thanks!! :)

Failed the 70-412 with 618 so close... I’ll try again in 2 weeks pushing my timeline to mid July... icon_sad.gif

It is what it is not a fan of certificate services and federation services guess I’ll have to drill that area a lot harder.

• backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best of luck on your re-take.

I actually found myself checking in here as I used some of your guys 410/411 study materials to get me over 742. I'm not sure if the same applies the other way around.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
    Aww man that sucks. But like you said, no time for pity party regroup and attack. All the best for the second attempt. I had to put my studies on the back burner for a bit but hoping to complete the first exam before month end.

Looking forward to hearing (seeing) the MCSA 2012 msg in time for World Cup 2018 :)
    God deserves my best
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed the 70-411 this morning will start on 70-412 on Monday!! :)

My resources: TechNet, CBT Nuggets, MS Press, and Sybex Server 2012 R2 Guide.

geezzzz now that was fast... Wish I could study that fast and pass the exam. I'm having a hard time sticking to the material after being off for a year.

The book you use from Sybex was it. MCSA windows Server 2012 Administration study guide exam 70-411 from William Panek?

I used the pluralsight site for a few days since I tried the trial. It was okay but wonder if the CBT is better for the 70-411. I want to get this done by end of July.

Any other material you use?
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    geezzzz now that was fast... Wish I could study that fast and pass the exam. I'm having a hard time sticking to the material after being off for a year.

The book you use from Sybex was it. MCSA windows Server 2012 Administration study guide exam 70-411 from William Panek?

I used the pluralsight site for a few days since I tried the trial. It was okay but wonder if the CBT is better for the 70-411. I want to get this done by end of July.

Any other material you use?

That’s about it aside from drilling TechNet and some YouTube MCSE series. :)

Aww man that sucks. But like you said, no time for pity party regroup and attack. All the best for the second attempt. I had to put my studies on the back burner for a bit but hoping to complete the first exam before month end.

Looking forward to hearing (seeing) the MCSA 2012 msg in time for World Cup 2018 :)

Thanks for the encouragement and I’m feeling good on the second attempt as I was really close. :)

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on 412 mate. You should nail it second time around.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE