Marketing yourself only for remote work

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Assuming you want to work only remote or partial remote, (3 days a week from home) do you capture that somewhere on your resume, indeed profile, linkedin etc....? Trying to filter out butts in seats positions.

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also subscribed.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I went ahead and in the heading section on my indeed profile, partial or full remote positions only.

Still debating about LinkedIn since I am connected with people I work with....... On the resume I still am trying to find a nifty way to convey that as well.

No reason for me to leave my job unless I can get remote.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't mention it in the resume, I just negotiate this in the interview. They need to see that you are competent enough first? I dont know

Some positions are advertised with the 'work remotely' keywords in them nowadays
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Sub'd as well. Although I'm not thinking of leaving my current employer, I do get hit up about jobs on a very regular basis. But I also don't want to deter people who may be recruiting for the Amazons and Apples of the world with amazing high dollar and relo opportunities either....
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Assuming you want to work only remote or partial remote, (3 days a week from home) do you capture that somewhere on your resume, indeed profile, linkedin etc....? Trying to filter out butts in seats positions.
    You need to be very subtle about conveying this. Most managers want to see their staff and while there are opportunities for remote work, they generally don't go to people who are very blunt about wanting to work remotely. Rather than asking for a flexible work schedule, offer a flexible work schedule and turn down the jobs that want you to do swing shifts. Also understand that lots of remote work is often the reward for people who have been there longer. You might get it if you have been there for a year or two as opposed to being offered the schedule immediately. There's no harm in asking if you phrase it like "so, are there options for working remotely once you have shown yourself to be a consistent worker?"
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    EANx wrote: »
    You need to be very subtle about conveying this. Most managers want to see their staff and while there are opportunities for remote work, they generally don't go to people who are very blunt about wanting to work remotely. Rather than asking for a flexible work schedule, offer a flexible work schedule and turn down the jobs that want you to do swing shifts. Also understand that lots of remote work is often the reward for people who have been there longer. You might get it if you have been there for a year or two as opposed to being offered the schedule immediately. There's no harm in asking if you phrase it like "so, are there options for working remotely once you have shown yourself to be a consistent worker?"

This isn't in tune with what I have seen. I have several former co workers and college friends who work mostly remote....... (In some cases 100%). They were offered this right off the bat.

No need to candy coat my expectations, I am not looking for a butt in seat position.

As mentioned earlier I went ahead and placed a line in my heading only looking for remote or partial remote positions. We will see how this fares. I have profiles set up on several other sites as well, tonight I am going to set up a similar message.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just apply to the jobs I want. If they do not specify remote I see if they are open. If not we go our separate ways.

As far as marketing it, I guess there really isn't any other way than to just put it on your resume/LinkedIn. Personally I don't do anything like that. I despise recruiters contacting me so I don't really do any kind of public resume. Still getting random calls from 10 year old resumes online....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.