CySA+ final thoughts

meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed CySA+ yesterday and wanted to sound off some final thoughts on the exam. I used all three books to study for the exam and found that the Sybex guide was the most complete book while the Pearson was a good review type of book. I also watched the Pearson IT videos on Safari, which I found were pretty good and the Udemy total seminars videos, which were concise but also a good review.

For practice questions, I used Pearson, Udemy and a CSA+ app on android. I found the best one was actually the app. I bought the pro version for like 2$ and it had a bank of about 1100 questions. I think ultimately doing different types of practice questions was really beneficial in the long run.

I've been preparing for this exam for about a month and a half. I passed with a score of 809 but when I clicked that button to finish review I was certain I wouldn't pass. I found one of the sims to be a little confusing and one to lack some context to be able to answer the questions properly. This will be a theme in the exam where some questions were just too vague and a little bit of context would have went a long way. It also seemed to alternate between hard questions and easier ones, at least in my mind. Overall, it was not an easy exam.

Comments

• nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Whats next?
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Congrats man! I thought the sims were a little weird too but overall it decent exam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I signed up for PenTest+ in April so I'm going over CEH AIO book right now and might take eJPT just to make sure I'm not missing any knowledge at the Beginner level. I've been doing some vulnhub machines so I got a good foundation I think. I'm considering doing CEH as well in 2 months just because so many positions ask for it. I'll cap it all off with OSCP around July.
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    meni0n wrote: »
    Thanks. I signed up for PenTest+ in April so I'm going over CEH AOI book right now and might take eJPT just to make sure I'm not missing any knowledge at the Beginner level. I've been doing some vulnhub machines so I got a good foundation I think. I'm considering doing CEH as well in 2 months just because so many positions ask for it. I'll cap it all off with OSCP around July.

I highly encourage you study more then just the CEH material for Pentester+. I have CEH, GPEN, and OSCP and I can honestly say that OSCP is the only exam harder then pentester+. It will surprise you with difficulty so don't underestimate it. I still highly encourage you to attempt it as its a great exam from my experience, but do not expect the run of the mill CompTIA exam.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□