How to think in the "MALC" way?

Jens_1Jens_1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm struggling hard with the MALC exam. I've been working with ITIL for 15 years and did the intermediate exams without any significant problems. Now I'm learning already 4 weeks day by day without going to the office. But MALC drives me cracy.

Of course I did the necessary MALC class. But the trainer was extremly poor. He sat the whole 3 days in his seat and simple read the sample questions and explanations. Word by word icon_sad.gif I've a recording of this sessions and recogniced that while I repeated the sample exam.

My trouble is, that almost I'm not capable to identify the connections between the options, the szenario in the question and the case study. I've read the book "Passing your ITIL Managing Across the LifeCycle Exam" more than 3 times. And of course also the 5 ITIL books. And I searched a lot of tips and hints in the internet. And yes, I also read the questions 5 or 6 times. But it doesn't help.

For example ITIL MALC Sample1 QUESTION BOOKLET v5.1, question three or six:
I classify around 50% of the options in a wrong manner because even if I know what up in the case study - I do not bring it into context and the the bulk of options confuses me completely. Even if I read the answer from the ANSWERSandRATIONALES sheet then, it is hard for me to understand it.

I've tried to solve the questions with reading the chapter in the books - but after reading I've found many useful things for the job - but for MALC however I'm as stupid as before.

I guess, I don't think "MALC". How can I acquire this?
I am despairing....

Jens

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Jens

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with your training. As a trainer, that's always sad to hear.

I am making an assumption here but from your detailed explanation I wonder if you are worrying too much and actually over-preparing for the exam? Sometimes it's possible to think too hard, and that creates stress which makes it harder to make the links.

I would recommend asking your training company for the samples exams from all the intermediate courses you didn't do, and going through them as an exam technique refresh.

Then, carry out a business analysis on the case study. Approach it like a consulting problem to help you understand it - put the exam out of your mind and just think about the organisation. What would you recommend to them?

And finally...read through the MALC syllabus and ask yourself - are there any areas here I'm not familiar with. Could you draw a quick mind map for each area? That will help you focus your studies.

You've passed at least 4 intermediate exams to get to MALC - remember that! Your technique will be fine, so try and relax, focus on the content and good luck.

Claire
  • Jens_1Jens_1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello Claire,

thank you for your support.
    Meanwhile I decided to search for another training company. I have found a company that has sent me all the training materials in advance (without paying money!), so I can judge whether they are suitable for me. The material looks good and I've made a contract with them.
    Now I will study the training material and in the next week, I’ve a special and individual exam preparation just for me. I will take the exam then.
    So I have to pay twice – but I guess, that’s the better way.

I will tell you then.

Jens
  • chandrasekariyerchandrasekariyer Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi - I'm also preparing for MALC and intended to take the exam in the next month. Can we connect offline? Sent a request to you.
    Good luck Jens! Look forward to hearing from you about a successful result :)
    Good morning Claire,

I did it! The "new" trainer began the day by checking my basic knowledge about MALC and the case study.
    Afterwards we discussed some questions of the sample exam and I showed him, where exactly I had problems of understanding. The main reason for my fail was, that I took the questions in a more detailed way then it’s thought. For example, if I got a question where some process fails, I was confused because that’s not possible if all or some of the other processes are ok – but that wasn’t a selectable answer. In my mind, ITIL builds on each other to avoid mistakes.
    He clarified that and after 4 hours I repeated the exam. I choosed the paper exam and would do it every time again. It’s much more uncomplicated to evaluate and mark the answers or bring a table into the right order.
    I got the result by email just two hours after he send back the answer sheet by a fax machine and scored 84%.

Now it’s done and I’m very happy ��

But one thing does not get out of my head:
    If I would create a service where the business results missed by around 45% - shouldn't I investigate the root cause and change several things to reach my „SLA“?
    Same for the MALC exam. If so many candidates fail, why Axelos doesn't improve the training guidelines?

Jens
    Hi Jens

Congratulations! I'm delighted to hear your hard work paid off. I don't know if you saw but AXELOS have just announced an update to ITIL itself, so I expect that will lead to some review and improvement of the associated training and exams. There's not much detail yet but you can read more here: https://www.axelos.com/news/axelos-announces-update-itil-itsmf-us-fusion

Kind regards

Claire
  • Jean76Jean76 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there,
    Does anyone know if Peoplecert exams are identical to BCS exams? it seems that there is a set of 3 different exams. I failed the first attempt of MALC with BCS, so I wonder if there is any chance that I got the same question with Peoplecert. Can't get this info anywhere. I would really appreciate to get in touch with someone who pass his exam with peoplecert. And again is it the same scenario in BCS that Peoplecert is using i.e. case study 1, version 1.1? thank you.
    Jean
    Hi Jean76, the case study you get via Peoplecert will be exactly the same. The exam questions will also be from the same question pool so you could see some (or all) of the same questions again.

Good luck, Claire
    Hi Claire,
    I did not get the same question at all, only 32 points for this attempt. Just need get a new voucher now.
    Thank you anyway
    Jean
    Hi Jean, that's good that you didn't see any questions repeated. Did you get any feedback after the exam about weak areas? kind regards Claire
    Hi Claire,
    Yes I got the feedback but it is difficult to share on this forum, I can send to you the result by email if that okay with you.
    I was out a couple of week for work so did not get a chance to reply to you before.
    Thanks
    Jean
  • AshraelAshrael Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Jean,

I’ve also had my 4th attempt today on MALC with no luck. Failed by 1 pt twice.

Was wondering if we can connect to discuss?

I’m retaking tomorrow again
    Jean76 wrote: »
    Hi Claire,
    Yes I got the feedback but it is difficult to share on this forum, I can send to you the result by email if that okay with you.
    I was out a couple of week for work so did not get a chance to reply to you before.
    Thanks
    Jean
    Hello Ashrael,

I can understand your frustration!
    Any feedback on the previous exam that you can share? Like which part you did not make it?

Regards,
    Jean
  • kevinm74kevinm74 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi Jean

I have now taken MALC 3 times and failed 3 times. I just dont get where I'm going wrong. All I can think is i'm not selecting best answer for the scenario as I'm sure ITIL wise the answers seem ok.
    My first attempt I got 33, resit got 30 and then on 2nd resit got 33 again. It's becoming really frustrating. Any advice?
  • csmrscsmrs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi kevinm74

I just presented ITIL MALC for the third time with bad luck. You could give me tips to try again. Thank you
  • John9909John9909 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jens_1 said:
    Good morning Claire,

I did it! The "new" trainer began the day by checking my basic knowledge about MALC and the case study.
    Afterwards we discussed some questions of the sample exam and I showed him, where exactly I had problems of understanding. The main reason for my fail was, that I took the questions in a more detailed way then it’s thought. For example, if I got a question where some process fails, I was confused because that’s not possible if all or some of the other processes are ok – but that wasn’t a selectable answer. In my mind, ITIL builds on each other to avoid mistakes.
    He clarified that and after 4 hours I repeated the exam. I choosed the paper exam and would do it every time again. It’s much more uncomplicated to evaluate and mark the answers or bring a table into the right order.
    I got the result by email just two hours after he send back the answer sheet by a fax machine and scored 84%.

Now it’s done and I’m very happy ��

But one thing does not get out of my head:
    If I would create a service where the business results missed by around 45% - shouldn't I investigate the root cause and change several things to reach my „SLA“?
    Same for the MALC exam. If so many candidates fail, why Axelos doesn't improve the training guidelines?

Jens

Hi - Could you share who the new trainer is for MALC? My trainer didn't give me any case study, does anyone knows where I can find one ? I just have people cert coupon to register the exam
    John9909 said:

Hi - Could you share who the new trainer is for MALC? My trainer didn't give me any case study, does anyone knows where I can find one ? I just have people cert coupon to register the exam
    Hi John,

the case study you can download at AXELOS if I'm not wrong. It's no secret. My trainer is in Germany. Where are you from?

Regards
     Jens
  • John9909John9909 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jens_1 said:
    John9909 said:

Hi John,

the case study you can download at AXELOS if I'm not wrong. It's no secret. My trainer is in Germany. Where are you from?

Regards
     Jens
    Thanks for the response. Let me check Axelos. I am from Canada