Resume of a ccnp / ccna

sunjiivsunjiiv Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I recently completed my ccna + ccnp. I am working in an ERP based position and don't like my profile at all. I was a network admin initially and had completed my MCSE in 1998. I got a break in middle east in 2000 and after that life became dull. I reluctantly took the additional job responsibility of user support on JD Edwards and now that has become my main profile. I want to shift out desperately.

Can anyone post the resume of a ccna or a ccnp with experience in cisco products.. Based on the experience I see in the resume ,I want to practice on some simulators so that I have the necessary confidence when going to attend cisco interviews. Recently the 7200 simulator has been kicking much dust. maybe I will use that..

I am more of a paper CCNP i.e I have studies the theory and passed but nothing sticks in my mind.. I think I have forgotten most of what I studied..

Sorry for the long post.. Will somebody help?

Sanjeev

Comments

• SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Not to be rude, but it sounds like you're looking for a resume to copy. If you're looking for an idea of what to study...look at the exam objectives for the certs you sleezed your way through.

If you're not and you have a CCNP that you consider "paper" buy real routers and put the time in. All you're doing is assisting in plunging the real world value of those certifications that people work really hard on. Thanks to paper certified individuals those who interview them (you) and maybe even hire them (you) only lose respect for others with that same certification.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    SRTMCSE wrote:
    Not to be rude, but it sounds like you're looking for a resume to copy. If you're looking for an idea of what to study...look at the exam objectives for the certs you sleezed your way through.

If you're not and you have a CCNP that you consider "paper" buy real routers and put the time in. All you're doing is assisting in plunging the real world value of those certifications that people work really hard on. Thanks to paper certified individuals those who interview them (you) and maybe even hire them (you) only lose respect for others with that same certification.

I have to agree here. Why do you even want a job, if you can't do whats required? You're just going to bomb on the job, and look stupid. Personally, I would retake the exams again. This time, actually study using the routers/sim's. You obviously didn't truely know the material, if you're asking for help....
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You should seek a professional resume writer. Your resume should be a brief description of your past duties and list of current certs.
  • sunjiivsunjiiv Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Orion and SRt,

dont prejudge a person and sit in judgement..

These technologies are not rocket science and everybody learns it on the job.. No body gives a newcomer on any technology critical tasks. All learn it by experience.

Yes, I called myself a paper cert.. I am proud of it. I studied and cleared these exams.. If I don't have the luxury of buying new routers - so be it. I didnt know the abc of J.D Edwards ERP. But now I support a userbase of 120 users working through Frame Relay Lines.
    I have also worked on PIX as well as 2500 routers - initial setups for 2 companies - One was for a VOIP company called Vonova based in USA which was later taken over by some other company
    I was an MCSE in 1998 when the value of MCSE was real high. So dont give me this sh*t of people like me bringing into disrepute ccnps etc.. It's true that at my current position I dont have cisco routers as we are completely on Vanguard routers.. Yes, I am very good on vanguard routers

If you guys don't have any positives to contribute then zip it up

garv,
    Thanks man!! at least u didnt try 2 put me down

Proud 2 be a CCNP

Sanjeev
    You posted on a forum that, for most of us, value certifications and wish they had more respect in the workplace. While they do, there are plenty of employers who have run into paper certified individuals (paper MCSE, CCNP, CCNA, MCDST...doesn't matter).

If you didn't know have access to routers or sims, I don't even see how you passed the CCNA, let alone the CCNP, hence why I believe you're fishing for a resume to copy.

You cannot expect not to have a little mud thrown your way when you openly admit you're paper cert'd. And like I said, if you want experience, reevaluate the objectives of the certifications that you "have" and relearn those. I'd even suggest taking them again if you really want the respect you feel you earn for "passing" them.

PS - I've worked with some sharp guys, who know routing and switching inside and out and the CCNA and NP exams kicked their ass, they passed them and got respect for their hard work.

Now let's not turn this into a **** match.
  • tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I myself am ony 16 tears old. I have only had about 6 months of excellerated technical training. Truthfully, I have worked hard just to keep up wih everybody, and now I can say that I deserve any position I get. I have no certs in my belt, but I will work hard to learn.

Practicing doesn't put food on the table for your family. I cannot judge an individual that put in all that effort to get his CCNA and CCNP. If he gives all his effort in his job, acts ethically, and becomes a leader, then he will succeed.

If anyone has any imput, or needs advice, then email me at tonycleaveland@yahoo.com
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't want to sound mean or pissy. But I guess I'm going to anyway, but it's very annoying that someone comes to a forum and talks about themselves on the posts and trying to get praise of some sort... So Tony, nobody cares that you're young and "making it". I did the SAME sh*t you did but I have certs... I know me speaking about this is hypocritical, but damn I just had to say it!!! lol. Get over yourself boy!
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    sunjiiv wrote:

If you guys don't have any positives to contribute then zip it up

Sanjeev

icon_lol.gif

You're on a web forum. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one... Why were you fishing for a response with such a stupid question like that?

Deal with it.

You come into a place where if you spent 5 minutes, you would see the we don't like brain **** or cheating your way through exams. If you passed congrats... now take your same method and copy someones resume from online.

Don't worry, you'll do fine (sarcasm)

"Proud to be a CCNP"..... I liked this part. You're proud to be something that is simply a name. It's not the certificate that defines you, but what you can do with it. You obviously don't know where to begin for an interview, what are you going to do what poo hits the fan on the job, and there is no one there to ask?... Hmmm
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
    Sorry for coming off arrogant. I am not making it as much as you interpret. I never mean to be arrogant, just trying to be inspirational. In my neighboorhood, you don't talk about stuff like this. You give advice, you come off soft and get robbed/shot. I try to live by good ethics, that is why I don't disrespect you in front of all your colleages. Try saying something like that to the wrong person. This is the reason why ethics in the workplace, no, in general are so important. A real professional knows
    that an "effective leader don't disrespect others, especially when the matter doesn't concern you". I only said those things to give an opinion. not to annoy everyone. Sorry for trying to help others by telling them something about myself.
    TONY Cleaveland
    Sorry for coming off arrogant. I am not making it as much as you interpret. I never mean to be arrogant, just trying to be inspirational. In my neighboorhood, you don't talk about stuff like this. You give advice, you come off soft and get robbed/shot. I try to live by good ethics, that is why I don't disrespect you in front of all your colleages. Try saying something like that to the wrong person. This is the reason why ethics in the workplace, no, in general are so important. A real professional knows
    that an "effective leader don't disrespect others, especially when the matter doesn't concern you". I only said those things to give an opinion. not to annoy everyone. Sorry for trying to help others by telling them something about myself.
    TONY Cleaveland
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No worries Tony, I have no idea where hackdugood was coming from with his comments directed at you.

If I understaood your post correctly, you are 16 years old w/ no certs but learning and working for the past 6 months. Good job, I hope you continue to progress and even though it might not seem worth while, certs are only going to help you down the road.

@sunjiiv
    Good job on the certs. Some of us have the same problem of studying for and earning certification that, for whatever reason, does not get put to use on the job and therefore doesn't "stick". Don't worry about it. Just work on the things that you can apply on the job, and try out some labs for the rest - which is what it sounds like you were originally asking about before getting jumped on. I am not defending the guys who jumped on you, but I also have to admit your request was worded oddly. Shrug it off and hang out for a while. You'll find that most folks here are helpful.

BTW - I consider a paper cert one who has cheated by using illegal material to pass an exam. If you studied and worked hard enough to pass, you are not a paper cert, just inexperienced in that technology.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sunjiiv wrote:
    Can anyone post the resume of a ccna or a ccnp with experience in cisco products.. Based on the experience I see in the resume ,I want to practice on some simulators so that I have the necessary confidence when going to attend cisco interviews. Recently the 7200 simulator has been kicking much dust. maybe I will use that..

Can I suggest you post a new topic asking what the typical day-to-day job responsibilities of people holding Cisco certifications are? You'll get a better response than asking for resumes. If you want to see what some high level CCIE type jobs entail, search the CCIE forums for posts by Darby Weaver. the Cisco moderator, MikeJ will also be able to give you a lot of good insight. Good luck!
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For sunjivv,
    Just ignore these eragant men that think they know more than you. If you have one less day of experience then your not in "the league". I had the same question at one point. I was wondering how to format my resume. I wanted to get an idea as to what was good keywords to use in the resume. I doubt i would have used "nameless" experiences on my resumes, nor would i have used anyones certification listing or there schooling. I would have used mine. try doing searches on the net. You will find some examples to help you get started. there are few that show how to get an idea for an IT resume, emphasizing keywords. So if you put it out on monster, or dice or whatever. Hope this helps to answer the question that you asked in a forum.
    lungsucker.jpg
    I used career builder to post my resume. You have so many more qualifications than I, so get to work and write an effective resume. Even if you have to buy a book on writing resumes, do it. $70000 a year is a good incentive to bulk up your resume. Also, leadership skills are so important when finding a job. Work with a team regularly, act as a leader, then say that you have been known as an effective leader on your resume. I wouldn't become a senior Admin yet, maybe a good junior position. I just got a new job today, look for my new post, just because I have experience with leadership development and such. You have alot of potential. Believe in yourself, and write the best resume of your life. I just hope I will be certed like you someday soon.
    TONY Cleaveland
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wait a minute SRTMCSE and Orion you’re telling me you know everything??? You must be god don’t judge a person immediately, after graduating you need experience then you will be fine, every job you start of with includes training, so don’t go and spoil other people chance to stardom, stop hating so much take a deep breath your not god either I bet you have weakness you need to work on as well.

Sunjiv: good luck don’t put of by these rude people who don’t want you to succeed I hate people like these but bring your enemies closer
    icon_lol.gif
    Now this is turning into a **** match. No I don't know everything, please show me one post in which I claim to "know everything", or even a lot? I know what it takes to pass my cert tests and do the job that I was hired to do. I didn't judge anyone, except by their post. Sunjiv posted a request that smelled an awful lot like someone fishing for a resume to copy, if he or anyone else doesn't like it and wants to get all hurt I'm sorry but I made no personal attack I only posted what I felt regarding the post, just like you did. It's the internet and if he, or anyone else, only wants to be told what he wants to hear then maybe an internet forum is the wrong place. Moms and dads are good for telling people what they want to hear.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    sunjiiv wrote:

let me be first to say, welcome to the site!
    It's rare that you will find a forum anywhere else with the quality of people and the quantity of things those people know. Trust me on this one! It is equally rare that you will find a forum where "service" is provided. A forum is a place for people to talk, not necessarily for Q&A sessions, generally, you open a topic with an issue of discussion, and you wait for people to comment....not throw a request, and wait for feedbacks....

anyway, a simple google search gave this:
    http://web.syr.edu/~ashasan/Resume.htm
    see also: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=ccna+resume&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

tony0101 wrote:
    I myself am ony 16 tears old. I have only had about 6 months of excellerated technical training. Truthfully, I have worked hard just to keep up wih everybody, and now I can say that I deserve any position I get. I have no certs in my belt, but I will work hard to learn.

I am 16........5 years ago....age is your best quality right now, but it will be gone before you know it. If you're determined, you should take necessary steps to achieve your goal. Your decision today will have much implication on the outcome in the future. If you could perhaps explain "excellerated technical training", someone might be able to point you in a direction about where you could head in order to take the next step.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    BTW - I consider a paper cert one who has cheated by using illegal material to pass an exam. If you studied and worked hard enough to pass, you are not a paper cert, just inexperienced in that technology.

good point~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    sprkymrk wrote:

good point~

I guess that goes for many people these day, but the term paper MCSE, for example, existed before braindumps were even an issue. It refers to someone who hasn't learned by hands-on practice, but just read the material from a book (paper). Before certs like MCSE were used to get into the IT industry, you had to have at least a year or two experience before even starting with the MCSE, otherwise you would have learned it from the books and not by experience, hence be labeled a paper-MCSE by those who had. (Yes, MCSE once implied the individual had experience.) So that means a CCNA/CCNP who never touched a router and switch would be a paper-CCNA/CCNP as well. Obviously it includes cheaters because they used the **** to pass the exam.

I'm not interested in using the label at all, but I will say that imo regardless of how hard and long you study, if you don't plan to touch the equipment and use the technologies to learn (even a sim can only help you partly), you should not try to become certified to implement and troubleshoot the technologies in a professional environment either, especially for MS and Cisco certs. The Cisco Net Academy is a good example showing it became more common to get the cert 'before' the experience/job, but one of the reasons it's a successful program is that it includes a lot of hands-on practice. Without that, it would be just a piece of paper. But even it's common now to (mis-)use certifications as traditional education it's still better, from every angle, to get (some of) the experience before the cert. I.e. get any job in IT, helpdesk, pc repair, anything to built up your resume with some experience, or at least built a practice lab that you can use to impress your interviewer. Then, get (more) certs, better jobs, more experience, higher certs, even better jobs, CCIE, great jobs ;)
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sunjiiv wrote:

I am more of a paper CCNP i.e I have studies the theory and passed but nothing sticks in my mind.. I think I have forgotten most of what I studied..

Sorry for the long post.. Will somebody help?

Sanjeev

This thread is too funny, dumpers beware! there is a difference between studying for an exam and studying for knowledge.I would love to be a fly on the wall during the interviews,read up about administrative distance and you should be sorted. icon_rolleyes.gif

"You reap what you sow"
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$