What topic should i start next?

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, so I've just finished my CCNP and i'm going to start applying for high level networking roles very soon. I have been considering which area to start studying next though. I feel very comfortable in OSPF, EIGRP, BGP and switching, areas that i know but don't feel no where near as comfortable are QoS, ASA, MPLS. Going off today's normal networking roles demands, which topic do you think i should go in depth into next?

Thanks

Comments

• negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well MPLS and IS-IS are on pretty much any job posting for network engineers nowadays so I'd say give these a shot perhaps. QoS should be a good investment as well.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah i was thinking MPLS to be honest. I know more about MPLS than i do the other 2 topics i mentioned though which made me kind of want to go in that direction instead but maybe i should just go with MPLS next
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what kind of jobs you're shooting for. An enterprise gig? Firewalls will surely help more than MPLS. A service provider backbone gig? The opposite.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Depends on what kind of jobs you're shooting for. An enterprise gig? Firewalls will surely help more than MPLS. A service provider backbone gig? The opposite.

I agree, i suppose there are more enterprise roles going than service providers so i should focus on ASA's and QoS instead. Personally though, if you had to rank the 3 in order of importance what would they be, (depending on the role aside). I am obviously aware that all 3 are very important but if you where going to pick the 3 to study, what 3 would you do them in.

Thanks
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    For an enterprise role:

Firewalls
    MPLS
    QoS

MPLS and QoS are rarely used outside of really large enterprise networks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Would you say i have enough knowledge and certs etc... to be able to be applying for these positions now also?
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    Would you say i have enough knowledge and certs etc... to be able to be applying for these positions now also?

Really depends on how much experience you have. Don't see certs on your profile but I know you recently passed CCNP. I'd say with a CCNP and several years of experience you can safely start looking around. CCNP should be a good sign that you can grab new skills and that the commitment is there.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)