How old where you all when you got your CCNP?

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, after just getting my CCNP at 28 i'm curious as to how old others where when they achieved it and if i'm a bit behind or ahead in terms of others. I'm not measuring myself based off others to before anyone mentions that haha, just curious.

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am not into Cisco Certs but I have a real bunch of others.. but age is not relevant to certification... I would not offer a job to a 18 old CCNP... it is surely missing work experience, or life experience to be really useful. Certs without the relevant experience just mean you can pass a test. It help to make your resume look better. Certification are not a superpower :)
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I was 29 when I got mine, got my CCNA at about 26. You are just fine. I'm getting close to 40 now I may get my CCIE by then. Once you have some serious experience in you should have no problems getting a job. CCIE will make it easier, but hey I have a CCIE working for me right now and he comes to me for advice all the time.

If you don't have any kids drill out that CCIE now than later.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    ccna at 26 . ccnp at 27. I got my CCIE when I was 31.
    Im still grinding. More to come. CISSP then another CCIE and MBA since employer will pay.

Its not hard to get these certs as you as you are willing to give up so called life and sleep.

Grind hard. There are lots of networking jobs opening right now.
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my CCNP Voice (5 exams track) at 27. Currently 29 working on getting R&S done (TSHOOT to go).
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CCNA - 29
    CCNA Security - 32
    CCNP Security - 33
    CCIE Security - employer would not fund it so I moved on to CISSP and GCIH. Then I changed jobs and only have access to Sourcefire NIDS which I don't use often so I let my Cisco certs expire.

The gap between CCNA and CCNA Security can be explained by changing jobs three times, traveling the world, getting married, and having kids. Very little studying during that period :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I was about 22 for CCNA and 23 for CCNP. I was always the youngest guy in my group at that time, still usually am, though so I don't think you're behind the curve.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not the fastest cert path, but I got lucky enough to land a job telecommuting that I liked when my enlistment ended, and I've worked there sense.

Once I joined this forum, I saw others that went from nil to CCIE in a few years, but we're all walking our own paths. However, that knowledge did light a fire under my own ambitions at this point in my career, and there really aren't many more excuses thanks to virtualization and the quality of training vendors these days.

Security+, CCNA, BS in CS - 24 (Last year of my enlistment)
    Masters - 26
    CCNA Wireless - 27
    Random CCNP Wireless exams but never finished them all - 28-30
    CCNA Security - 31
    CCNP R&S - 32 (Making plans to find another position, and needed to get pass HR filters)
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    is CCNP even worth getting for someone who is just in helpdesk?

I have my CCNA and trying to land a networking gig but it's been hard looking for a job in that area
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Robbo777 wrote: »
    i'm curious as to how old others where when they achieved it and if i'm a bit behind or ahead in terms of others. I'm not measuring myself based off others

Isn't that exactly what you are doing? icon_razz.gif Not that anyone really cares on here...
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    technogoat wrote: »
    is CCNP even worth getting for someone who is just in helpdesk?

I have my CCNA and trying to land a networking gig but it's been hard looking for a job in that area

In my opinion, no. You'd be what's known as a "Paper CCNP".

There is plenty of important things you can learn about Networking without getting a cert. If you're interested in learning more, there are plenty of non cert related books out there with information that will make your network skills stronger. Network Warrior, Ethernet: The Definitive Guide, etc...........or you could learn Wireshark for example.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think studying without the job or experience is still worth it. The guided learning will still introduce you to many networking topics you might not learn otherwise. "Paper cert" or not, do what you need to get past the HR filter and get your foot in the door.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think studying without the job or experience is still worth it. The guided learning will still introduce you to many networking topics you might not learn otherwise. "Paper cert" or not, do what you need to get past the HR filter and get your foot in the door.

I agree - studying for a cert requires getting into that learning mindset + practice to get the concepts down. Much like in school. If you pass your exam without cheating then you should be able to do the tasks that that vendor is basically vouching that you can do by having passed their "trial of fire". Most production networks don't use all the crazy stuff you learn when studying for a cert.

I usually look at certification study resources as a structured way of learning about technology that you're passionate about. Obviously the knowledge is translated into config, design and troubleshooting so that's where the practice, practice, practice comes in. Kevin Wallace had a funny saying in one of his vids about a guy having 1 year experience twelve times and not 12 years experience :) which touches upon a very important aspect: the drive to improve.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA by 27, CCNP by 30 and I felt old getting them at those times but at the time only had 5 years total experience in IT (when I got my CCNP).

Certs are just a piece of paper that validates. As much as I owe them a lot to what I know I still feel you are only as good as you how you can show your stuff in the real world.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the NetAcademy classes in college when I was 18-19, but never got around to sitting for the actual exam. I intended to at the time, but never got around to it. I finally sat for and passed the CCNA at 30 and CCNP at 32.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my CCNA when I was 23
    got my CEH when I was 23
    got my GPEN when I was 25
    GCIH I was 25
    LPT I was 25
    ECSA I was 25
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got my CCNA at 33, CCNA Security at 34. I'm 36 now, working on CCNP Security at a leisurely pace so I'll have that probably 37. I just started a new job working 100% with firewalls. I switched onto the Security track for that reason alone. Otherwise, I'd be doing CCNP R&S.

This isn't a race, by the way. It should be complimenting your experience, wherever you are in age.
  • FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    CCNA-19
    CCNA Security 20
    CCNP-21
    CCNA Voice 21
    Masters Degree 24

24 at the moment lol
  • Raden2020Raden2020 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA-19
    CCNA Security 20
    CCNP-21
    CCNA Voice 21
    Masters Degree 24

24 at the moment lol
    Will it be still really hard to get a job if i have CCNP (enterprise) and OSCP at age of 18?  being both sides of coins ;)
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited June 2020
    Raden2020 said:
    CCNA-19
    CCNA Security 20
    CCNP-21
    CCNA Voice 21
    Masters Degree 24

24 at the moment lol
    Will it be still really hard to get a job if i have CCNP (enterprise) and OSCP at age of 18?  being both sides of coins ;)
    Yes, though a small company might hire you for having the OSCP if you can demonstrate you also have the talent to back it up. Generally speaking, large companies thrive on boring and safe candidates in favor of talent, so it is unlikely for them to hire you for any role beyond entry level without work experience, even if you were the perfect employee.

In my opinion, it isn't appropriate to obtain CCNP or higher unless you're touching Cisco gear on a daily basis. It makes you look way overqualified while being underexperienced. Kind of like having two PhDs and never having held a job.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited June 2020
    Net+ - 22
    CCNA-23
    CCDA-26
    CCDP-28
    CCNP-30
    Bunch of Juniper certs in between, I didn't want to give Cisco all my money lol. Also I discovered I like the structure of Juniper certs better and a lot less cheating then Cisco. 
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Early 30s for both CCNPs.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I didn't even get started in IT till I was 30. Had my CCNA by 35, CCNA Security at 39. I'm slowly working my way toward a CCNP at 41. I feel no rush as I'm well paid at the moment BUT can still justify getting the CCNP as the work seems to fall inline with the material.