Tired of software programs constantly going the subscription route

thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
I just need to vent. I’m just tired of companies trying to shove subscription based software down my throat.

I get it, software costs money to maintain. I also get that apparently subscription services are a good way for companies to increase their revenue. I just don’t think companies understand, or more likely don’t care, that I don’t want every single piece of software I use to be subscription based.

I don’t want to pay 10 subscriptions each month even if individually each one costs less than $10. Let me buy the software outright and run it into the ground until your new software version actually has a new feature I’m willing to pay for a new software version to get.

Not to mention that I really don’t want my data stored in your “cloud” because let’s face it companies are always going to skimp on security and QA in favor of getting their new features out the door or because why should they pay for a programmer to work on those things when they can be working on bells and whistles. Afterall, it’s not like anything is going to happen to them if they suffer a security breach that compromises millions of people’s information. I’m not a programmer or coder, but I’ve rubbed shoulders with a few and technical debt is a real thing.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hate this. I don't participate personally, but my data is out there without my consent regardless. I don't think there's much I can do about its apparent success though. I can't stand the fact that LinkedIn is now tied into Office365 somehow, for example, but what alternatives are there?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Agreed. There are some things that I would rather keep on my own little laptop. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Worth checking back on these kinds of things after May 25th this year. GDPR is kicking in and a lot of companies (both in and out of the EEA) are going to be affected on the data they hold on people. :)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
    GDPR?
    What is that?
    Only the largest data privacy law ever in human history. I'm actually training as the Data Protection Officer for my company on it. It effectively regulates the collection, use and dissemination of personal data of anybody who was profiled within the EU, regardless of where they are originally from (so even US citizens on holiday, for example). And it affects anyone who wants to do business with the EU.
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Just for the EU?
    It's for any business that trades in, with or through the EU.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For now it is mostly EU, but everyone who trade with EU or affiliate company will be affected. Also, it will give idea to other goverment to ask for this kind of law.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keeps share holders happy, consistent stream of revenue.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    I just need to vent. I’m just tired of companies trying to shove subscription based software down my throat.

Are you referring to your companies software or personal? If you referring to personal software, I still run Microsoft Office 2003 for all my Word and Excel needs. Lets be honest, there hasn't been any significant upgrades to these programs in the last 15 years. Sure they move some icons around, add a few features that 99% of users never use and slap a new label on the it (Office 2007, 2010, 2012 etc), but eccentrically they are all the same. There no reason you have to run out and get the latest version just because some ad says you do.

As for the cloud, while it may sense for small companies to go to the cloud, I firmly believe in the long run, it's going to cost more for larger organizations to have there data on the cloud. Lets face it, these cloud hosting companies want to make a profit, sure they can offer low introductory rates to get you to switch your data from your servers to there's, but once they have control of your data, in a few years, they will increase the costs of there services to make up for the low rates they offered in the beginning. It's not like they pay significantly less for servers than you do. So long as your fully utilizing your servers with VM's, I fail to see how they are going to be able to host your applications for less and turn a profit than you can yourself.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how much of a choice there is either way in a business environment. A one-time purchase of a software license is (to me) prohibitively expensive when I'm looking at $300 for a recent copy of Adobe Acrobat. And yet the software is going to start running into compatibility issues in a couple of years anyway if someone sends you a PDF in a new format while you're still running Adobe from a couple years ago.

Obviously in a home environment you could find a cheaper alternative, but businesses do tend to stick with familiar brands in order to keep things standardized, predictable, and eligible for MSP support.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Time to give up Windows and move to Linux and only using Open Source software, or will you save more money not needing to fight compatibility issues by just paying the closed-source subscription fees?
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd be more concerned about the time/cost of training a bunch of users who've never touched Linux in their entire lives how to suddenly use them in any competent fashion.

Also never encountered a Linux system 3 weeks into my job at an MSP, so it might be an adventure in and of itself trying to support it.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE