Options

Interviewing with VP of technology

techie2018techie2018 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I recently applied for a Lead Network Architect role and I did very well in two different technical interviews and they were impressed by my technical background. I've interviewed with about 7 Sr. Network Engineers, a couple of Sr. Systems Engineers,
the Director of technology, as well as 2 managers of two different systems engineering teams and the manger of network engineering.

So now the final step for me is an interview with the VP of technology. I've only done one VP interview in my career many years ago. The HR guy stated VP interview normally aren't required but since I will be leading a new area in company they scheduled some time for me to speak with the VP. They will be building this team out and I will be the lead.

Any tips on how to prepare for the VP interview. For people that have done VP interviews is there any common thing VPs focus on in interviews. Obviously the duties of the position. Anything else?

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dood this is big.

I've been down this path a few time and instead of talking about my successes I want to bring up something that cost me a position.

Note I had interviewed with the CISO and CTO and was literally getting ready to walk out the door and the CIO had some time available to speak.

I was on cloud nine I had nailed it and I got over inflated. I started to go outside my ability level in terms of conversation and added needless risk to the conversation. I didn't get it.

One other thing, these folks are sneaky. Think of the Sam Walton scenario, where he would bring his potential executives to breakfast and if they didn't taste their eggs before salting them, they were deemed unfit for the position. Due to them not being detailed enough or something like that....

With all that said, be yourself do your best and try to control only things you can control.

Good luck
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought it was Admiral Hyman Rickover that pulled that crap with people who were meeting with him.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I thought it was Admiral Hyman Rickover that pulled that crap with people who were meeting with him.

You are probably right and I blew it.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't do what a guy did to our IT VP several years ago. He was exactly where you are right now and then messed it up.

- VP: "So $candidate, where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
    - $candidate: "exactly in your chair"

Awful move.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't do what a guy did to our IT VP several years ago. He was exactly where you are right now and then messed it up.

Awful move.

Yeah. Not a good move at all.
  • Options
    Dood this is big.

I've been down this path a few time and instead of talking about my successes I want to bring up something that cost me a position.

Note I had interviewed with the CISO and CTO and was literally getting ready to walk out the door and the CIO had some time available to speak.

I was on cloud nine I had nailed it and I got over inflated. I started to go outside my ability level in terms of conversation and added needless risk to the conversation. I didn't get it.

One other thing, these folks are sneaky. Think of the Sam Walton scenario, where he would bring his potential executives to breakfast and if they didn't taste their eggs before salting them, they were deemed unfit for the position. Due to them not being detailed enough or something like that....

With all that said, be yourself do your best and try to control only things you can control.

Good luck

Good info. Thx.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□

Awful move.

Ouch...sheesh!!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I actually talked with the President of the company. It was such a odd experience interviewing with this company anyway. This was like my 5th interview for this position. Evidently it was between and another person. The president said ' I like both of you, but what makes you different from the other guy?' yada yada. I got the feeling that maybe the other guy got it anyway because he said 'he had another position that would be great for me' Yeah, right I thought to myself. Then would get emails that they were still thinking about it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

Awful move.

LOL, sounds like something I would try and say as a joke and immediately regret.

(I loved that you used the $ to represent a variable as well)