Options

Finally - time to start the Muddles CCIE Journey!!!

MuddlesMuddles Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well.. the time is finally here. It is time to start dedicating my time to the CCIE RS track!

Just a quick heads up, but this post is going to be a scattered mess - using this as way to get my thoughts out there and perhaps get some feedback/suggestions. icon_thumright.gif

A bit of background information.. the CCIE certification has always been in the back of my mind since starting on the CCNA back in 2013. At first I did not think it would be something I could realistically tackle due to hectic work and family life. I am married with two boys, the youngest can be quite a handful.. however it helps that we have them on an amazing schedule since the beginning.

I am currently working as a Network Operations Engineer at a NOC environment for a very large financial enterprise for the last 3+ years which has provided great exposure to both older and brand new technologies. It is an ever changing and demanding environment. Technologies that I deal first hand range from standard Cisco routers/switches/Nexus/CRS to F5/Packet Sniffing/Firewalls (Cisco and Checkpoint) and many many more. From ATM/Branch/Administration/International circuits (56k/T1/T3/DS3/4G/etc) to 100G+ circuits between Data Centers.

One thing to note is that I have recently been working the night shift, Wed-Saturdays with a schedule that does not change.. so during slow nights (granted we don't have many) I will be able to squeeze in my CCIE studies.

I just completed the WCNA (Wireshark) Certification yesterday, which I have to say it truly helps understanding in-depth packet structure - this will definitely help with any future studies.. not just CCIE.

Anyways.. lets get on to the fun stuff! CCIE!

Lab Resources:

ESXi Server (T7500 - 96 GB Ram) for CSR1000v images and other operating systems
Physical switches: (2) 3560-TS with 15.0+ loaded and (2) 3750G-TS with 15.0+ loaded
1x 2911 Router - 15.6 Code with SEC Package (Granted this is to be used as my home router mixed with Lab)
Wireshark - to dig deeper in to communications

Learning Resources:

Books

Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2 (Both Second Editions) - Currently reading Volume 1 now.
Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development series) - This is an older book but still some good info.
Cisco IP Multicast Volume 1

Training Opportunities

Global Knowledge classes (Offered through my workplace)

BGP - Configuring BGP on Cisco Routers v4.0 (Currently booked for March)
MPLS - Implementing Cisco MPLS v3.0
QOS - Implementing Cisco Quality of Service v2.5
ICM - Implementing Cisco Multicast v3.0

Once I done with the written exam, and closer to the end of my Lab studies - I will also be able to book a spot in both the CIERS-1 and -2 bootcamps with GK.

CBT Nuggets and INE Video courses (I will be mostly modeling my lab environment to match INE's)

There a are a billion things that I want to learn more about at the same time, but I have to work on curbing those properly - from Cloud technologies to Python/Linux. So much to do and so much to learn.. but so little time..

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck in your endeavor Muddles!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Muddles wrote: »
    Books

Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2 (Both Second Editions) - Currently reading Volume 1 now.
    Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development series) - This is an older book but still some good info.
    Cisco IP Multicast Volume 1
    As you probably know, there is a fairly lengthy list of reading for the CCIE - many of the book titles can be found on Safari, it's a worthwhile investment if you want to do a lot of reading & research in that area.