CEH Passed 2/18

zlykotzlykot Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I figured I would post up my take on the exam.

My employer is paying for the exams so I figured another cert couldn't hurt and I don't believe in everything you read online ;)

I have been in the industry for a good 15years so I ended up going the self study route. Provided my resume, managers contact and got the voucher the same day.

The only real resources I have used was the AIO book from Matt Walker and Boson. The book was a bit slow so I ended up doing a boson marathon with the 500 questions provided and focus my study on what categories were missed.

Here is a few tips:
* read all the Exam tips
* memorize the switches for common utilities, especially the ones that combine functionality.
* Dont think about the "best answer to fit the question", think what's the least wrong one....

For me the exam questions broke down into the following categories:
* 60% fairly decently worded questions
* 25% tool usage, output etc
* 10% misc data questions, throughputs, ranges, key lengths etc
* 5% questions next to impossible to decipher. In fact one of my questions had a backstory, a totally unrelated question and answers that fit the back story...

One more thing, the process of signing up and testing is a bit rough with ECC. You have to read all the emails carefully and try to follow along. I ended up having a few snags; you create two accounts ECC and ProctorU. The proctoru one password stopped working before the exam(had it saved in lastpass). None of the information that you use during signup is carried over, so you will need to retake your picture, exam voucher etc. Have that information at hand.

The exam interface is also a bit rough, after marking items for review you have to click around to go through all the items. I ended up using the list on top.

Hope it helps someone.
T

Comments

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • zlykotzlykot Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • anikaanika Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Party time icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the great information

I would love to share few books name that helped me a lot:-

CEH v9: Certified Ethical Hacker Version 9 Study Guide
    CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition
    Hacking for Beginners: The Complete Guide

I took the CEH certification course training from Koenig Solutions.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□