AWS observation from my Company

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I recently went out to my companies portal page and noticed a ton of the solutions architect / engineer positions on the IT side are seeking AWS certifications. It looks like these certs are penetrating HR, looks like they are seriously becoming main stream.

FWIW, it's a observation.

Just passing it forward....

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cloud is the rage now... everyone want a part of this market and every VAR who are trying to sell cloud need certified cloud IT guy for their partner program (be it AWS or MS Azure). More certified guy = better program incentive (and better margin).

I am in this business and if I could find someone already certified, it would be a big plus for him. It is time to market...
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently went out to my companies portal page and noticed a ton of the solutions architect / engineer positions on the IT side are seeking AWS certifications. It looks like these certs are penetrating HR, looks like they are seriously becoming main stream.

FWIW, it's a observation.

Just passing it forward....

Knowing is half the battle, GI JOEEEEEEEE!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cloud is the rage now... everyone want a part of this market and every VAR who are trying to sell cloud need certified cloud IT guy for their partner program (be it AWS or MS Azure). More certified guy = better program incentive (and better margin).

I am in this business and if I could find someone already certified, it would be a big plus for him. It is time to market...

Here is the interesting part.

I don't work for a VAR or MSP, regular old joe fortune 500 company and these positions are requesting. Normally I see degrees, experience and industry knowledge.

Some of the high level architect positions like to see architect methodologies but this is almost across the board on all high level engineering jobs.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed. Many organizations have no idea what the cloud is or what they'll do with it but their golfing buddies have one so they need two.
    EANx wrote: »
    Agreed. Many organizations have no idea what the cloud is or what they'll do with it but their golfing buddies have one so they need two.

Probably what it boils down too. But I can honestly say, for at least my company if you have an AWS certification your chances of getting into our enterprise increases by A LOT.....

I don't know if I can honestly say that about another certification.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're hitting it right on the nail once again, bud.

As much as I can understand how valuable AWS CSA is (Passed the exam last month myself), Some of the hiring decisions I'm seeing lately are baffling.

Even worse, I saw yesterday a sales account manager with no prior technical (or certs) background get promoted to a Dynamics 365 Solution Architect position.

Unless some Solution architect are closer in day to day to a high level product owner, I can't understand it.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
    Azt7 wrote: »
    You're hitting it right on the nail once again, bud.

As much as I can understand how valuable AWS CSA is (Passed the exam last month myself), Some of the hiring decisions I'm seeing lately are baffling.

Even worse, I saw yesterday a sales account manager with no prior technical (or certs) background get promoted to a Dynamics 365 Solution Architect position.

Unless some Solution architect are closer in day to day to a high level product owner, I can't understand it.

It really is ridiculous but it is what it is.......

How is the environment where you are at? Does the AWS certs lead to greener pastures?
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It seems like there are 50 posts on the Internet querying into cybersecurity careers to every 1 AWS career post. Maybe I should start thinking about getting out of cybersecurity and into something not-so-stylish, yet crucial, like AWS, before cybermania causes some kind of career bubble.

Unless of course they kick off a revolutionary TV series starring a vigilante solutions architect that brings down an evil corporation by ensuring the proper configuration of S3 buckets.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    @Yoba

I don't know if I would go to that extreme, but..... If you are stalling in your career and you are working support or some sort of infrastructure job its maybe something to consider.......
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cybersecurity is definitely a big bubble, but if you truly know what you're doing you'll survive it and make out well. But I agree that AWS stuff is definitely worth doing as everyone I know is at least doing something in the cloud.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really is ridiculous but it is what it is.......

How is the environment where you are at? Does the AWS certs lead to greener pastures?

I have to admit it's strange.

On one hand, Azure is pretty strong here as most businesses run Microsoft based environments. So Azure makes more sense for them.

Now to my knowledge, I don't really see a big demand for AWS positions (on LinkedIn at least) . There's a decent demand but nothing wild as we can read left and right online.

At the same time, adopting new technologies takes time. In my experience, Office 365 had a boom in 2011/2012 in France/Belgium but it only hit Canada in 2014/2015.

I might be wrong but that's just what I see.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
    Interesting....

Thanks for following up. It's not like I am going out to every corporate website looking for senior level jobs that require AWS, haha. And to your point we are Java true and thru so it would make some sense we are on AWS.

The last environment I came from was AZURE which I really liked a lot. Never had any problems with it, but we were more .net focused from a development stack perspective except for our BI team which used Oracle and Teradata.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My organization is heavy AWS (East, West, UK and Australia) while also starting some new applications in Azure. Rackspace is in the mix as well as a couple of other unique smaller cloud apps in other countries.

Doubt the cloud is going anywhere anytime soon. Though I have to agree with Azt7 about the bubble thing having lived through several if not many during my career. Of course, your millage may vary. Though cloud is much more technical than security adding all the more difficult to understand. Will say I feel its a better longer term bet in terms of market demand. You have been warned! LOL.

Searching the board for Azure cert experiences. Thus far it appears far easier than the AWS and CCSP certs which I have already completed.

Just being curious.

- b/eads