CompTIA IT Fundamentals Beta Exam

stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
For those interested, CompTIA has released their IT Fundamentals Beta exam for $30. I signed up for it and plan on taking it this Saturday. While I realize I don't need it, I am curious to see how it stacks up compared to the A+ exams, which is why I am taking it.

Cheers
The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Comments

• joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm taking it on the 6th. I think you'[ll find that it's much shallower, but wider, than the A+. To quote the Comptia description "The CompTIA IT Fundamentals exam is designed to help you learn more about the world of information technology (IT)"

It's really designed for people who aren't in IT yet, but trying to decide if they might want to get into IT, but also which track they might want to be in (systems, network, security, programming or database/data science). I know in the WGU reddit, we often see people who know they want to get into IT in some form, but don't know enough about IT to know where they might want to go. This often leads to people failing out, changing paths, etc. I think this test is going to be very useful for people in those positions, or high schoolers who know they want to get into IT but don't know which path they should pursue. I'll be interested to see what TE members think of the test.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm looking forward to it. I find it interesting that it covers so much ground.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While I had a lot of the other CompTIA certs years ago, I took IT Fundamentals "cold" one weekend just to see how I'd do. I passed with something in the 90th percentile (I don't recall the scoring), but it was a tougher exam than I expected. I've encouraged a couple students considering A+ to try IT Fundamentals as it will at least give them that test taking "look and feel", at a discounted rate....the beta price is all the better.
    I took the exam earlier today. I had two performance questions at the beginning of the exam and another question that had an exhibit button/graphic that needed to be viewed. Overall, 110 questions with a 90 minute time, which I completed in under 30 minutes (for reference).

My impression: there were at least half-a-dozen database related questions and at least half-a-dozen programming questions. I get the database questions but the programming questions threw me off a bit as I don't view application programming as being something fundamental to IT. I wouldn't mind hearing from CompTIA on why they include programming questions, especially since most IT professionals I've met don't program, nor have they taken a programming class.

For $30 it was a good investment. I am looking forward to finding out what my score will be in a few months. Now on to CASP!

• ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. Interesting on the programming-related questions. I know techs who have worked in IT for decades who know nothing of scripting, much less programming. So, for the Fundamentals that is interesting topic.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't want to do a basic cert personally, even at a really cheap price. Nothing to gain from it other than the frustration of not getting a perfect score and then wanting to challenge the author of those questions to correct them.

Well maybe from an instructor researching his of her training material perspective I suppose.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    ThePawofRizzo...you are welcome. I might encourage a few folks to jump on this cert since the price is right. I realize that it won't add significant value when looking for a job but it is rather comprehensive in scope, though certainly not in depth.

yoba222...I agree with you. Besides curiousity, I also teach IT classes (A+, Network+, Security+, ITIL Foundation) and I get asked what the differences are between the IT Fundamentals and the A+ exams. This gave me a bit of insight that was a bit eye-opening (programming). I think I might address this with CompTIA directly, as I am curious as to why they have included it there but not in the A+. The school I work for is talking about starting youth-oriented summer classes and we might offer this exam, so taking the exam helps me understand the value it might bring to high school or college-aged students.

To be fair, I did warn you that programming wsa included. :)

I'm not sure how programming is not part of Information Technology. I'm sure a lot of programmers would be offended by that, not to mention the devops/netdevops guys. ;)
  • fire692fire692 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Folks,

Could someone provide a link or let me know where we can find out more information the IT Fundamentals Beta exam?

I opened a ticket with CompTIA earlier this week and they responded by sending me to the Pen Test exam. icon_sad.gif

Thank you
    CPT+ is certainly the beta getting more attention, so I can see why they'd be confused.

The test is described here

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/it-fundamentals

If you're just looking to take the test, simply login to comptia section of Pearson Vue, click View Exams, Comptia IT Fundamentals Exam, and choose FC1-U61 Comptia IT Fundamentals Certification Beta Exam
    Thank you much!
    joelsfood wrote: »
    CPT+ is certainly the beta getting more attention, so I can see why they'd be confused.

The test is described here

https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/it-fundamentals

If you're just looking to take the test, simply login to comptia section of Pearson Vue, click View Exams, Comptia IT Fundamentals Exam, and choose FC1-U61 Comptia IT Fundamentals Certification Beta Exam
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't get the purpose of this exam other than for CompTIA to make more money. In theory, the A+ certification was already targetted as an entry level cert, so this is entry-entry level?
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
    jamshid666 wrote: »
    I don't get the purpose of this exam other than for CompTIA to make more money. In theory, the A+ certification was already targetted as an entry level cert, so this is entry-entry level?

This is aimed, in many ways, at creating a certification for the High School market.

• techbitstechbits Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The beta exam is now closed, I think they are bringing it back as a proper exam later this year. From the key objectives, it looks almost identical to the FC0-51 (non-beta exam) except for the IoT section. Was thinking of applying for this myself but then went for the FC0-51 because there was more study material to cover it.

I too, would like to know how it compares the A+ and if I should have chosen that one instead (probably yes). Keep us tuned.
    FC0-U61 is a LOT broader than FC0-U51. Old test basically had systems, network and a touch of security. New exam has systems, network, security, programming and database/data analyst. This test is for preprofessional(high school or someone coming from a non-IT career) who is considering an IT career and wants to have some exposure to the various specialties in IT to get an idea of what they might enjoy. Particular niche I see this being useful for is people like WGU students coming from non-IT careers. VERY often on WGU reddit/slack I see people choosing one BS and realizing in 3 months that it's not for them and then changing majors. This test can help people avoid that.

FWIW, A+ is the basic exam in the trifecta, but it is not meant for entry level. I believe the objectives recommend 2-3 years experience in a helpdesk/desktop support type role.
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT Fundamentals+ Beta exam resoults

It looks like CompTIA finally closed review phase for this BETA exam. Dates for releasing exam resoults was changed at least twice. I haven't received any formal e-mail yet but after checking CompTIA's Cert Tracket portal today I have noticed that this certification was added to my profile.

I can confirm that this exam was definitely harded than I expected from really entry level one. As for programming part - some of the questions made me scratch my head althoug I do have Software Engineering background. In general it was a preatty decent experience.
    In case I have to pay full price for this certification exam - I would not dare to cover it from my own pocket. BETA exam option was definitely an excellent choice from financial perspective and to get an understanding CompTIA's requirements for this exam.
    Thanks for the update. I just checked the portal and it was added to mine, as well. I agree with your assessment, though I do not have a developer or database admin background at all.

Same here on the cert showing up in the CompTIA portal in the last few days.

No notification from CompTIA so thanks to owieczka_ma and stryder144 for the heads up.
  • owieczka_maowieczka_ma Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just another update ....

Around 3 hours ago I have received an e-mail confirmation from PearsonVue:
    [FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for taking the CompTIA IT Fundamentals+ certification beta exam. Your score report has been mailed and contains an overview of your score and other relevant information.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for taking the CompTIA IT Fundamentals+ certification beta exam through Pearson VUE and for supporting CompTIA’s ongoing exam development efforts![/FONT]

So it looks like sending official notifications with Beta exam resoults has finally started.