Job hunting while burnt out?

Master DelgadoMaster Delgado Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just looking for advice from anyone who was in a bad spot but managed to snag a job that got them out of it?

I've been in my first desktop support job for just shy of a year but have been burnt out over the past 7 months - am overworked (1 tech for 500 users across 20 offices?), my user base is very non-tech savvy and managers round here care more about getting a shiny new iPhone than actually listening to any improvement projects my boss recommends.

I was at the point of just walking out at the start of the year, but can't really afford zero income right now.
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Then send your resume out there. Have a feeling for what is out there. See if you get call backs. Wow.. 1 tech??
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have any new interest or hobbies? I find when my mind starts to get like this, it's not 100% the work itself but I don't have an outlet to focus and have something else to look forward too.

For some people it's their kids, others it's binge drinking, etc.....

I would consider finding something that interest you outside of work if you don't have that already and see if things pick up.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My last job had become a dead end job. I wanted out and decided that I needed to step up on my training/education. I also had to fund all of it myself even though it was for career development, which would help me in my job. Still couldn't get the boss to spend $250 for a certification exam, much less training materials. So I earned a couple of useful certifications and made some new contacts. After a few interviews, I found a great job with a great boss and a big raise.

Never walk out of one job until you have another one ready to take its place. At interviews, they'll ask why you left. They'll see walking out as a sign of a quitter. Also, you really never know just how long it'll take to find something new, and unemployment licks balls compared to the Quik Stop!
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you have any new interest or hobbies? I find when my mind starts to get like this, it's not 100% the work itself but I don't have an outlet to focus and have something else to look forward too.

For some people it's their kids, others it's binge drinking, etc.....

I would consider finding something that interest you outside of work if you don't have that already and see if things pick up.

I never considered binge drinking to be a hobby lol.

Not liking your job should be a motivation for you to study harder and improve your situation. No matter how hard it gets, don't quit unless something else is lined up first.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was in a similar boat, except I had just one campus to deal with. I kept studying and the certification I earned last Spring got me in the door with my current company.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Master DelgadoMaster Delgado Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses.
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm right there with ya MD. Me and another tech tech are the only ones in the IT dept. I maintain the ticketing system for over 300+ in scattered offices with end-users that are not tech savvy. It is a great learning experience, and grateful I got an entry-level job to begin with, but I am already over it. Working on certs to move on up elsewhere.

Keep on keepin' on, get more certs, and keep that resume polished!
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are at the point of 'burn out'....

STop Working so hard.

Seriously.
    Reduce your output by 20%.
    In a 5-day work week.... only do 4-days of work.

Let things hit the floor.
    Let tickets/SLAs breach.

BREATHE IN...
    BREATHE OUT.
    SMILE.
    RELAX.

Sooner or Later, they will let you go.

Celebrate;
    it's your PAID Vacation!!

(assuming Canada has unemployment benefits, of course)
  • technogoattechnogoat Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm on nights now and sending out my resume out since it's I'll have free time for interviews during the morning

How do people have time for interviews in the morning while they work a regular 9-5 job?

please pray that I finally land a networking gig
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

Everyone needs mental adjustment outlets. A lot of times we collapse at the end of the day and just want to mindlessly watch TV but those three days in a row slowly turn into three months in a row. We all make time for work because we have bills to pay. I find that when I make time for other activities, I feel better and less burned out. Understand the difference between a temporary surge (less than two months) and ineffective planning.
    tedjames wrote: »
    Still couldn't get the boss to spend $250 for a certification exam, much less training materials.

I will arrange for people to go to class but certs are on them. Outside of a few very specific environments, the cert itself gains nothing for the employer that the knowledge leading to the cert doesn't already provide.
    tedjames wrote: »
    Never walk out of one job until you have another one ready to take its place.

Truth
    technogoat wrote: »
    How do people have time for interviews in the morning while they work a regular 9-5 job?

They call in sick, they take 1/2 to a full day off. I's always good to leave a couple of days off available for this purpose.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just ask to meet the rest of the team, ask how many users they support, and do some quick math to see what your workload is going to be like. A 1 to 500 ratio is something I don't encounter even in my MSP.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE