Is it possible to skip pass the Helpdesk and try apply for NOC techcian jobs instead?

I am currently attending WGU BS:IT Security. I should be done with WGU October 2019. After graduating.
Is it possible to skip the helpdesk role and apply for NOC related position? I have no experience and want to go straight to NOC technician role. Is it possible? Or do I have to pay my dues at Helpdesk?
My goal is to become a Network Engineer. Thank you so much and hope to get any advice.

Comments

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can do whatever you want.

There's no rule that you have to do "x" before doing "y or z".

Really, you just need some luck.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NOC are 24 hour operations, so if your willing to work on grave shift, yes I can see you skipping the help desk and getting a NOC job. Once you get a couple years experience, you can get on day shift and advance from there.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Thats a good idea working grave yard shift. I think I should do graveshift after graduation. Thanks.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking for graveyard shifts, you might as well start now. Those shifts typically have a ;lot of free time in which you could get some studying done. No sense in waiting around.
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    Most of the guys that I work with started straight out of college at a NOC for a major ISP.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, I think it&s possible you just have to find the jobs and apply. I think getting your CCNA or at least a CCENT will help out a lot as well.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NOC and Helpdesk, at least in my experience, have been considered basically entry level. You shouldn't have any issues.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The most important thing is to get A JOB. You should apply to anything you are close to...so anything related labeled entry level or <2 years experience and see what happens. It's not something where you can just be like I want X so I won't even pay attention to Y...at least not when you don't have experience. If you get a Helpdesk job first, then do the best you can to learn everything for a year or so and keep moving. You will see that once you start getting experience, the road to get jobs becomes a lot more attainable.

A key thing is don't be discouraged if you have to submit a lot of applications to get interviews. Early on in a career you will probably have a lot lower call back rate versus if you have 5 years experience.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you think you're capable of doing the job, then apply for the job. The worst thing they can tell you is no.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    NOC and Helpdesk, at least in my experience, have been considered basically entry level. You shouldn't have any issues.

To piggyback on the_Grinch, the NOC has many different levels, from Tier 1 to management. As such, the entry point is often equivalent to a network helpdesk (building tickets, answering customer's questions, etc). When I was tier 1 in the NOC I investigated alerts, built tickets, dispatched the field techs, and answered the phones. Most of my customers were either field techs or other major ISPs that needed assistance with something on our side. Not too much different from a traditional helpdesk, just network centric.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Consider that Help Desk experience will make you more appealing to hiring managers when applying for a Tier-1 NOC (Network Service Desk) or SOC (Security Service Desk) position. The practiced ITHD skills in handling people via phone and email are invaluable to those positions.

As far as 3rd-shift goes, search TE for the word "graveyard" and you'll find posts like these: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/131125-cyber-security-jobs-what-really-like.html