Network+ - Ready but not ready?

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I keep reading posts on here about how hard the 006 exam is, how CompTIA is reevaluating it, how it's getting replaced around September of this year, and how 2 out of 3 people are failing it ( which is kind of crazy for an "entry" level exam). On the flip side I read posts on here of how easy it was and people breezed right through it.

I guess I'm having a hard time gauging the complexity of the exams. I've been doing the Exam Compass tests and averaging 89%-94% on them, plus i have Certmaster which I've been working through, as well as Skillsoft Network+ video training and lastly the Mike Meyers book and Bill Ferguson review guide. I'm feeling pretty confident but I've only been studying for a week.

I've also seen people say to go take Security+ and Project+ first before Network+

What am I missing here?
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure to understand all the topics, like try to explain to a child every single thing from the objective.
    It happened for me once while taking the Sec+.

The second question is that for me you can skip Net+ and go directly to CCENT and CCNA which has more weight.

I recommend that after you pass Net+ go for Sec+ and then move forward to Cisco.

Good luck!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Make sure to understand all the topics, like try to explain to a child every single thing from the objective.
    It happened for me once while taking the Sec+.

The second question is that for me you can skip Net+ and go directly to CCENT and CCNA which has more weight.

I recommend that after you pass Net+ go for Sec+ and then move forward to Cisco.

Good luck!!

I'm actually studying for Network+, Security+ and Project+ all simultaneously. It's amazing how much stuff overlaps between them. Once I wrap up these three, I may move on to Cloud+ but I also want to continue my ITIL training.

I will say, when people say that Network+ is 10 miles wide, they aren't lying!
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Be careful about giving into hype for certifications. It's true that some people will grasp material easier than others but that is with any subject. A real world example is the CISSP exam...it just changed it an adaptive test (the next question is either harder or easier based on if you get the question correct/incorrect) and people went insane for months in anticipation...fast forward and people are still passing after all that worrying.

Taking Security+ and Project+ first aren't going to really help you as they are different subjects (and project+ is completely unrelated about managing projects not networks). There are reasons for taking the other exams but they are always employer driven (required for their job). I personally believe that some people are so used to CompTIA exams being quick study options <1 month, so now that people actually have to study more the world is all of a sudden ending.

A real question is how much of a challenge do you feel up to? The usual path is for people to do Network+ > CCENT > CCNA:R&S, which allows for a nice building block approach. Another path is CCENT > CCNA:R&S but it will be more difficult hands down...you will learn the same things but it will be expedited and you have to learn the Cisco command line interface (CLI).
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Be careful about giving into hype for certifications. It's true that some people will grasp material easier than others but that is with any subject. A real world example is the CISSP exam...it just changed it an adaptive test (the next question is either harder or easier based on if you get the question correct/incorrect) and people went insane for months in anticipation...fast forward and people are still passing after all that worrying.

Taking Security+ and Project+ first aren't going to really help you as they are different subjects (and project+ is completely unrelated about managing projects not networks). There are reasons for taking the other exams but they are always employer driven (required for their job). I personally believe that some people are so used to CompTIA exams being quick study options <1 month, so now that people actually have to study more the world is all of a sudden ending.

A real question is how much of a challenge do you feel up to? The usual path is for people to do Network+ > CCENT > CCNA:R&S, which allows for a nice building block approach. Another path is CCENT > CCNA:R&S but it will be more difficult hands down...you will learn the same things but it will be expedited and you have to learn the Cisco command line interface (CLI).

So are you saying that people are starting to hold more validity towards a CompTIA certification or do they still get the bad rap they've always gotten? I just did retakes on the A+ exam just to see what they were like since it's been 7+ years since I last passed it and while I sailed through it with less than 3 days of studying, I will say that the question structure and layout definitely can trip people up.

I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I've been an IT Manager/Director for 8 years now, and on a help desk/sys admin role for 4 years before that, but I really want to shift gears into the security world however can't afford both financially and mentally to go backwards to an entry level position. My plan right now is to get A+, Network+, Security+, Project+ and maybe Cloud+ and then just go shop myself around and see what I can find.

It's really hard to tell if CompTIA is trying to make the barrier a little more challenging or if they are going to revert back. I haven't taken a CompTIA exam in 4+ years so this is based on observation, but back when I took Network+ and Security+ each was about a month or so of studying...it seems like now more people are taking longer to study.

Do you have experience with MS Server or Cisco technologies? Do you want to be a technical person or manager still? The technical aspect will definitely take more work because you are going to have to start diving into the technologies, but if you want to be a manager and have decent experience, you might just be able to get the CISSP and transition. There is also the compliance aspect of Security, which is a lot more about making sure everything overall is secure and focuses a lot more on projects than in the weeds technology.
    It's really hard to tell if CompTIA is trying to make the barrier a little more challenging or if they are going to revert back. I haven't taken a CompTIA exam in 4+ years so this is based on observation, but back when I took Network+ and Security+ each was about a month or so of studying...it seems like now more people are taking longer to study.

Do you have experience with MS Server or Cisco technologies? Do you want to be a technical person or manager still? The technical aspect will definitely take more work because you are going to have to start diving into the technologies, but if you want to be a manager and have decent experience, you might just be able to get the CISSP and transition. There is also the compliance aspect of Security, which is a lot more about making sure everything overall is secure and focuses a lot more on projects than in the weeds technology.

Yep, experience with both. Lighter on the Cisco stuff but I would say more than familiar around MS Server. Technical person or manager, tough call. I love the management role, but also love doing the technical work. I guess given my current career path I should probably stay on the manager side, but I still want to learn the technologies. Can people really just study and go take the CISSP without any of other intermediate certifications? I've never heard of that being doing but I'm intrigued to learn more. I'm definitely interested in the compliance aspect of Security, and certainly would love to run projects in the security realm, that sounds more right up my alley and more feasible for something to me to transition to.

For what it's worth, the baseline CompTIA exams are actually worthwhile for me. Regardless of whether it will help me land my next job, it's giving me a good idea of what I still know and what I've forgot, which sadly is quite a bit but it's coming back to me. I certainly don't miss long handing binary addresses without a calculator and calculating the number of subnets, etc., but it is somewhat fun to a degree.

I love project management, but how big of a sector is that in the security field?

Squished wrote: »
    1. Can people really just study and go take the CISSP without any of other intermediate certifications? I've never heard of that being doing but I'm intrigued to learn more.

2. I'm definitely interested in the compliance aspect of Security, and certainly would love to run projects in the security realm, that sounds more right up my alley and more feasible for something to me to transition to.

3. For what it's worth, the baseline CompTIA exams are actually worthwhile for me. Regardless of whether it will help me land my next job, it's giving me a good idea of what I still know and what I've forgot, which sadly is quite a bit but it's coming back to me.

4. I love project management, but how big of a sector is that in the security field?
    1. Sure it's possible if somebody has been working in technology. Of course milage will vary but you probably have had exposure to a decent amount of the information. The exam is conceptual, just make sure you think of things from a security mindset instead of pure availability (like most IT people will).

2. Technology projects are technology projects...they aren't really any different in how they are run in IT vs Security although there might be different things getting completed.

3. Taking them is fine just be aware they aren't going to do a whole lot for you at this point.

4. Project management specifically is not a massive job area if you want to simply focus on projects. With that being said, a large amount of managers (and sometimes senior level engineer/analysts) will constantly be completing projects...changing security tools, audits, etc.

Honestly being a manager in IT vs Security is going to be quite similar but with a different focus. One major difference though is IT generally is pretty clear cut, where Security can get very fuzzy (and things tend to be very volatile by changing constantly).
    1. Sure it's possible if somebody has been working in technology. Of course milage will vary but you probably have had exposure to a decent amount of the information. The exam is conceptual, just make sure you think of things from a security mindset instead of pure availability (like most IT people will).

2. Technology projects are technology projects...they aren't really any different in how they are run in IT vs Security although there might be different things getting completed.

3. Taking them is fine just be aware they aren't going to do a whole lot for you at this point.

4. Project management specifically is not a massive job area if you want to simply focus on projects. With that being said, a large amount of managers (and sometimes senior level engineer/analysts) will constantly be completing projects...changing security tools, audits, etc.

Honestly being a manager in IT vs Security is going to be quite similar but with a different focus. One major difference though is IT generally is pretty clear cut, where Security can get very fuzzy (and things tend to be very volatile by changing constantly).

Thanks. With regard to your response on #3, I agree to disagree. While yes they are entry level certs and might do anything for "me" per se, there's still a chance I may end up transitioning over to overseeing a help desk or client services department at a larger company so it might help to show I can still play the basic technical game that is sometimes needed in those roles. I'm a believer that no training/education can hurt, if you can do it, then do it.

You said you are already an IT Manager and previously were a system administrator...it’s going to be implied that you know at least A+ and Network+. I’m not saying don’t do them...it’s a personal choice...but they aren’t really meant for somebody who has been in the field, they are meant to help somebody break into the field.