Isaca cgeit

STEMGirlSTEMGirl Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm requesting information/guidance re: the CGEIT certification/exam. I don't hear much about the CGEIT designation - it doesn't appear as popular as the other ISACA certifications. My professional role is now primarily governance (data, IT, etc.), so I'm considering sitting for the CGEIT exam (I currently hold both the CISM and CRISC designations). Please share, your thoughts:

1. Is the CGEIT regarded highly in the market?
2. As the CISM and CRISC also cover governance, I'm assuming the CGEIT is a deeper dive into the subject-matter, correct?
3. Are the standard ISACA study materials sufficient to pass the exam - Review Manual and QA&E Manual (i.e. of course, taking into account the required 5 years of professional experience)? NOTE: For the
CGEIT, there doesn't appear to be an ISACA QA&E Database like the offering for the other ISACA certifications.

Thanks in advance! icon_lol.gif

Comments

• jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    STEMGirl wrote: »
    I'm requesting information/guidance re: the CGEIT certification/exam. I don't hear much about the CGEIT designation - it doesn't appear as popular as the other ISACA certifications. My professional role is now primarily governance (data, IT, etc.), so I'm considering sitting for the CGEIT exam (I currently hold both the CISM and CRISC designations). Please share, your thoughts:

1. Is the CGEIT regarded highly in the market?
    2. As the CISM and CRISC also cover governance, I'm assuming the CGEIT is a deeper dive into the subject-matter, correct?
    3. Are the standard ISACA study materials sufficient to pass the exam - Review Manual and QA&E Manual (i.e. of course, taking into account the required 5 years of professional experience)? NOTE: For the
    CGEIT, there doesn't appear to be an ISACA QA&E Database like the offering for the other ISACA certifications.

Thanks in advance! icon_lol.gif

Hi there,

Passed this last month. I don't hear of it too often in the market, I would agree there. I had budget $ to spend plus I thought there would be value somewhere down the line for this. As for what it covers, it covers governance yes but also risk. I used the Q&A guide and that was sufficient, if you already passed CISM and CRISC this should work fine.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Official Q&A is all that you need to pass the CISA/CISM/CRISC/CGEIT. Just remember - if I'm hiring you for governance, I'd prefer you learn all the material and not just pass the test for some letters behind your name

An interesting quirk about the CGEIT IMO is that it's a bit of a limited job market for it. Small/medium/local/regional businesses won't really have a need for it since they don't really do governance anyway. My opinion is that the CGEIT is for larger, multinational corporations, if that's your end game. Never hurts to have it at a smaller org, but I assume you'll get less benefit out of it there.
  • STEMGirlSTEMGirl Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jumblerr wrote: »
    Hi there,

Passed this last month. I don't hear of it too often in the market, I would agree there. I had budget $ to spend plus I thought there would be value somewhere down the line for this. As for what it covers, it covers governance yes but also risk. I used the Q&A guide and that was sufficient, if you already passed CISM and CRISC this should work fine.

Thanks Jumblerr!
    Official Q&A is all that you need to pass the CISA/CISM/CRISC/CGEIT. Just remember - if I'm hiring you for governance, I'd prefer you learn all the material and not just pass the test for some letters behind your name

An interesting quirk about the CGEIT IMO is that it's a bit of a limited job market for it. Small/medium/local/regional businesses won't really have a need for it since they don't really do governance anyway. My opinion is that the CGEIT is for larger, multinational corporations, if that's your end game. Never hurts to have it at a smaller org, but I assume you'll get less benefit out of it there.

Absolutely, I'm one for learning all of the material AND moreover making sure I can functionally put the material to work professionally (I know plenty of people who pass these exams just to have the letters behind their names, and who are incapable of performing on the job)! I'm currently employed for a large/major corporation with a huge international presence, so indeed the CGEIT will serve me well. Thanks 636-555-3226!
  • scankloudscankloud Member Posts: 47 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely, I'm one for learning all of the material AND moreover making sure I can functionally put the material to work professionally (I know plenty of people who pass these exams just to have the letters behind their names, and who are incapable of performing on the job)! I'm currently employed for a large/major corporation with a huge international presence, so indeed the CGEIT will serve me well. Thanks 636-555-3226!

@STEMGirl, no knowledge or professional accomplishment is wasted. That's why some candidates get chosen over others, just because they have that one ingredient to spice up the exact requirement for the job the other candidate never had. I am also sitting for the CGEIT Exam and CISSP in between this February, I have bought my review Manual and the Exam QAE hard cover book version. We can connect real time and form a study partner for the exam, Governance is all that this is about.
  • scankloudscankloud Member Posts: 47 ■□□□□□□□□□

@STEMGirl, no knowledge or professional accomplishment is wasted. That's why some candidates get chosen over others, just because they have that one ingredient to spice up the exact requirement for the job the other candidate never had. I am also sitting for the CGEIT Exam and CISSP in between this February, I have bought my review Manual and the Exam QAE hard cover book version. We can connect real time and form a study partner for the exam, Governance is all that this is about.
  • Dan-in-MDDan-in-MD Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the CGEIT is more of a personal learning challenge or objective. There's not many people who get hired based on this cert.
    Thanks Dan-in-MD; based on my research, I concur. If I proceed with my plan to pursue the CGEIT, it will indeed be a personal/additional learning goal/objective to round out my knowledge in my current governance role! icon_cool.gif
  • tripskrectripskrec Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Stemgirl @scankloud: i am preparing for CGEIT and with the dearth of @Stemgirl @scankloud: i am preparing for CGEIT and with the dearth of material I am struggling to what to read and not, there are few links available for sample question but it has material from agile methodology to VAL IT and RISK IT, do we have to learn all that?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
    Well, well . . . I guess the CGEIT just became more popular - it is now at the top of the list: https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/content/articles/top-paying-certifications/icon_lol.gif
  • jumblerrjumblerr Member Posts: 101 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good news! Hopefully recruiters and employers catch on!!!!
  • DextraDextra Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Finally, someone who agrees with me. What's the use of having the certification if you can't apply it? I see this all the time: someone with a ton of certs who never seems prepared.
  • FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, well . . . I guess the CGEIT just became more popular - it is now at the top of the list: https://www.globalknowledge.com/us-en/content/articles/top-paying-certifications/ icon_lol.gif

I expect CGEIT's pay average is skewed by being one of those certs that people already in senior governance positions pursue.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • tjkobertjkober Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see for 2019 it dropped off the top 15 list (I'm not tenured enough to post links I guess LOL but the existing link still works from the previous post)

I'm pursuing it now regardless as the governance and framework fundamentals will tie in nicely with my current role and career objectives anyway and thought some others may find the 2019 salary update interesting.