Looks like WGU is finally rolling out their Comp Sci degree starting in June

josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
No real details beyond the date (June 1st) as of yet. Just confirmation on twitter etc.

Anxious to see what it entails

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you link their twitter confirmation I don't see it?
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oops, sorry.

I got my streams crossed. The only twitter part were the original ones from last year stating the program was coming.

The confirmation is secondhand via mentors emailing students.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/7wfztr/computer_science_announced/
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent! Been looking to get a degree in Computer Science looks like this might be the route for me!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Excellent! Been looking to get a degree in Computer Science looks like this might be the route for me!

Same. I want to see the curriculum before I consider it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Agreed! I need to focus on exploitation so might need to go the DSU route, but definitely interested to see what they come up with.

They are going to be ABET accredited though per their Twitter feed.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I was hoping they would ditch Java and do C++, but since they already had so much java in the other problem I guess it was going to stay. I'm also glad to see they put an emphasis on math in the program. Glad you have to take Calc 1 and some discreet math classes.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    You take C++ and Java according to the link I posted:

Scripting and Programming - Applications
    Scripting and Programming - Applications for undergraduates explores the various aspects of the C++ programming
    language by examining its syntax, the development environment, and tools and techniques to solve some real-world
    problems.

I agree about the math! Hoping someone with experience in their math courses might chime in with the difficulty of those courses.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Looks like they took down the curriculum. Can you post a different link?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see it covers a traditional undergraduate computer science curriculum. Surprised to see no Python or anything else besides Java. (Hello Go?)

Should be a good basis for getting a master's in computer science in the future. (Hello GATech $7K MSCS?)

I believe they plan to be ABET accredited as well.
    jdancer wrote: »
    I see it covers a traditional undergraduate computer science curriculum. Surprised to see no Python or anything else besides Java. (Hello Go?)

Should be a good basis for getting a master's in computer science in the future. (Hello GATech $7K MSCS?)

I believe they plan to be ABET accredited as well.

Data Structures and Algorithms I/II utilize Python
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer Java over C++, but that's just me.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Java and C++ are both gross. I would hate to be a Java dev for a living. I wish they would just do C++ and Python for the entire curriculum. Use C++ to teach the fundamentals of computer science, programming, and OOP. Then the rest of the work in a much easier language like python. You can use python to teach the web development, data science, AI and machine learning. No other language offers that type of flexibility. (I'm a javascript/nodeguy by the way), but I do recognize the flexibility in using python as a teaching/learning tool.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    jdancer wrote: »

Exactly what I had in mind...
    I think ultimately Computer Science is meant to teach you Computer Science concepts so that you can pick up any language. I see too often people who decry their Computer Science education because they can't program in X, Y, or Z language. As an example, when I was working at Drexel a friend posted an article from a UPenn Computer Science student who complained they taught him a dead language and he was unable to get a job (PHP). If that is what he made of his education he wasted his time getting a degree because teaching you a language is not the focus of Computer Science.

I'll agree Python is definitely a great language and for learning Computer Science it's a great. But at the same time, once you pick up the basics you should be able to learn any language to get the job done. I see lots of job postings for Java and C# in my area though I don't know of any schools using C#. I've found I can pick up just about any language now that I devoted time to one language.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, have a question- Is it possible to simply take some of the courses in the cs program and after apply to the omcs program at georgia tech? I already have a bachelor's and would like to just take some prereq courses to get accepted at georgia tech. Would my mentor force me to take courses in a specific order or can I actually choose what to take?
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    denis92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, have a question- Is it possible to simply take some of the courses in the cs program and after apply to the omcs program at georgia tech? I already have a bachelor's and would like to just take some prereq courses to get accepted at georgia tech. Would my mentor force me to take courses in a specific order or can I actually choose what to take?

May want to ask your question in https://www.reddit.com/r/OMSCS/

I would think GA Tech is looking at minimum traditional undergrad CS courses from applicants.

In other news, it looks like GA Tech may be rolling out a MSCS in Cybersecurity. Cool beans.
    denis92 wrote: »

The answer is Yes*. I've seen plenty of people on the OMSCS reddit that have taken individual CS and math courses to get in, although it still depends on your overall application profile.

*In the individual classes you take, you have to show GATech admissions that you excelled in them. Since WGU only shows pass/fail and not individual grades, how will you show the GATech admissions team how you did in the classes?
    I'd be interested to see how many classes those with an bachelor's in IT would need to complete to earn their CS degree. I had it begged at about 20 courses, which I think would be doable in one year. As I was doing the math often certificates in CS or even taking the four to six courses that would be required equals to about $8000 dollars which is what you would pay for a bachelors at WGU (if you could do it in a year).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly the best offering they have had thus far. A true STEM degree, which companies are requiring more and more......

I wish I would of made the right decision to begin with and just got the dang CS bachelors out of the way. You literally don't need another degree after that...... Still the case to this day.
    Honestly the best offering they have had thus far. A true STEM degree, which companies are requiring more and more......

I wish I would of made the right decision to begin with and just got the dang CS bachelors out of the way. You literally don't need another degree after that...... Still the case to this day.

Agree 100%! Biggest mistake in my career was not getting a CS degree and I'm reminded of that on a daily basis haha
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff

the_Grinch wrote: »
    Agree 100%! Biggest mistake in my career was not getting a CS degree and I'm reminded of that on a daily basis haha

Same lol. I want the GATech OMSCS. One degree to rule them all. I'm looking at moving more towards dev/appsec/pentesting for my career, but wouldn't mind a full dev job.

I looked at UF's online BSCS but I am loathe to take 3 calc classes and 2 physics classes when I can teach myself everything in them and more, for free, and in far less time. Most other brick and mortar schools require the same too. So I'm going to submit my transcripts to WGU and see if I can get all the gen ed stuff transferred in and just do the bachelors level CS stuff.
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the computing systems specialization meant to be like a general specialization? I would like to get a general degree since I am young and don't know what ill end up doing in the far future. I don't want to pigeon hole myself with something like cybersecurity.
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Same lol. I want the GATech OMSCS. One degree to rule them all. I'm looking at moving more towards dev/appsec/pentesting for my career, but wouldn't mind a full dev job.

I looked at UF's online BSCS but I am loathe to take 3 calc classes and 2 physics classes when I can teach myself everything in them and more, for free, and in far less time. Most other brick and mortar schools require the same too. So I'm going to submit my transcripts to WGU and see if I can get all the gen ed stuff transferred in and just do the bachelors level CS stuff.

Let me know how you make out. Considering applying, but won't be able to start till January.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So are you wanting the classes just for the degree or to learn how to code? There are numerous cheaper and better ways to learn coding if that is your ultimate end goal.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    I'd like the degree and the knowledge that comes with it. A lot more to Computer Science than learning to code and for my aims the knowledge gained from a Computer Science degree is essential. I could purchase a bunch of courses from Udemy if coding were my only goal.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff