Options

Question about applying for jobs

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, so after just getting my CCNP a couple of weeks back and revising my CV i have looked applying for new roles. I have had a lingering thought in my mind though regarding some of the roles requirements i have noticed.
Quite a lot of them are varied and ask for the whole package everytime which i pretty much expected, my strong areas are OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, MPLS (pretty much everything around those) along with switching. My weaker areas are VOICE and ASA's. I'd like to ask if anyone might know, would an employer still be willing to give me a chance even though my knowledge and experience in those 2 areas are not on the same level as the others mentioned. I have studied and worked with ASA's in the past but nothing on the same level as my strong areas mentioned.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Some companies will. Apply and see if they call. It is all in the presentation of yourself. good luck
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You don't have to be an expert in every area to get a job. Know what you know and show a desire and aptitude to learn. When I'm interviewing I'm looking for someone to know the stuff they claim to know. Not to know the stuff they don't. Don't BS on your resume or interview! We can teach you if you have the desire and aptitude.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen A LOT of organizations posting job descriptions for a "Jack of All Trades", but then expect you to be an expert in each trade! It's understandable that an organization would expect you to be "adept" in several aspects of your discipline but it's near impossible to be an "expert" in each. To that end, well established IT Programs take this into account when staffing their team. For instance, you may be hired for routing and switching...and that's it. As far as Voice and Security go, maybe you'll simply rack the equipment, plug it in, and provide a management IP to the Telcom and Security Engineer, who then configure and manage the devices. Of course their are contributing factors to these "Jack of All Trade" job postings, such as lack of a sufficient budget and staff.

In any case, I'm always wary of places that expect you to do EVERYTHING...I've done it once or twice in my career and it led to burnout very fast.

Just my two cents.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    I've seen A LOT of organizations posting job descriptions for a "Jack of All Trades", but then expect you to be an expert in each trade! It's understandable that an organization would expect you to be "adept" in several aspects of your discipline but it's near impossible to be an "expert" in each. To that end, well established IT Programs take this into account when staffing their team. For instance, you may be hired for routing and switching...and that's it. As far as Voice and Security go, maybe you'll simply rack the equipment, plug it in, and provide a management IP to the Telcom and Security Engineer, who then configure and manage the devices. Of course their are contributing factors to these "Jack of All Trade" job postings, such as lack of a sufficient budget and staff.

In any case, I'm always wary of places that expect you to do EVERYTHING...I've done it once or twice in my career and it led to burnout very fast.

Just my two cents.

Yeah some very good points there, i have posted my CV around and had a few responses already. It seems like the CCNP definitely has some sway with it, i'm sticking with only networking focused positions though and staying away as much as possible with the "everything" roles where it involves... server, networking, virtual, 3rd line etc...
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,049 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I'm interviewing I'm looking for someone to know the stuff they claim to know. Not to know the stuff they don't. Don't BS on your resume or interview!

This is actually really sound advice.
    Effective interviewers generally fact-check everything on your resume.