Anytime I ask I ask for days off...

Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
My Direct Supervisor says 'Sure as long as you're not interviewing for another job' and starts asking questions...

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It is none of his business. Say you are going to a urologist or something.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take a half day and come in wearing a suit and tie.
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□

Half day was taken before - questions were still asked...along with that joke/comment
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just look him in the eye with a sly grin and say, "I'll keep you posted..."
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "I'm getting my prostate examined. Wanna see how enlarged it is?"
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    My Direct Supervisor says 'Sure as long as you're not interviewing for another job' and starts asking questions...

Just say him that if he is afraid of that, he should do things required to keep you.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□

definitely an insecure boss
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well... Are you?? Kinda sounds like you might be wanting too... ;)

If not I would definitely joke about it with something like this:
    tedjames wrote: »
    Just look him in the eye with a sly grin and say, "I'll keep you posted..."

Or something like "Well I have heard X Company has pretty good benefits..."

Or if you have decent relationship I would even joke about getting promotions or getting training paid for. Sounds like he doesn't want you to leave by him asking that so I think joking about those would be safe. But I tend to make awkward jokes to see how people react and it would really depend how comfortable you are with your manager. I'll leave you with that judgement call.
    Working at a company where there is no raises and what I negotiated at the beginning is what I'll make until the end of time - I dont have the luxury of them taking jokes like that
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sure you do, just back it up with actually interviewing and getting another job. Watching your own salary become worth less and less each year makes no sense.
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do this every once in a while just for fun. My company can't afford to lose me, so they start to scramble if they even feel like there's a chance I might be looking. icon_lol.gif
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Working at a company where there is no raises and what I negotiated at the beginning is what I'll make until the end of time - I dont have the luxury of them taking jokes like that

You sound like a state employee (me, too).
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do this every once in a while just for fun. My company can't afford to lose me, so they start to scramble if they even feel like there's a chance I might be looking. icon_lol.gif

Not sure OP understood that I was being serious...... It works, seen it happen. Co worker got his whole MCSE training certs etc paid for because of one of these "Stunts".

Funny thing was he really did have an interview......
    Not sure OP understood that I was being serious...... It works, seen it happen. Co worker got his whole MCSE training certs etc paid for because of one of these "Stunts".

Funny thing was he really did have an interview......

Speaking to other coworkers and being from an at-will state. I can see them being petty about things that didn't matter previously or letting me go as they see me as a liability.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just do what I do when I have interviews. Get super sick so when you say you're taking off for half a day for a doctor appointment, people think you're actually at the doctor :D

...joke's on me, I was actually at the doctor.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just tell him... “Sarcasm loading...” and then give him a blank stare.