Options

Just took SY0-401

SHiNiNg4EvErSHiNiNg4EvEr Member Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
I took the exam yesterday but I failed icon_sad.gif.
I got 735 scores icon_cry.gif
Some reviews for you:

- There are 25 practice questions on comptia website. DON"T rely on them or you will underestimate the live exam because it is much harder. In my opinion, Those questions don't reflect how hard the exam is.

- I got 72 questions and answered 71 questions when the time was up and had no chance to review the hard questions. While studying I focused on Knowledge about security but I failed on managing 90 minutes. So, time management is important.

- I utilized Darril Gibson's study guide and some online resources in a 45 days. I think the book is enough for the exam if you have some experience. However, Gibson book is easy to understand & he use straightforward language while the real exam has some long questions and sometimes with high-level language which make it harder for those who aren't native English speakers.

- If you have Darril Gibson's study guide, don't buy the practice questions book because the questions in both books are mostly similar.

Now I'm thinking about retaking the exam and buy comptia bundle which is 2 vouchers & CertMaster.
At least I won't have stress because I can retake the exam :)

Comments

• Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you failed the exam.
    I haven't taken this one yet. I still need to pass my 220-902 before i can take the 401. I plan on starting to study for it after my 902 though.
    Thank you for the input on what you used to study for the exam.
    Best of luck next time.
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear this. I bought the bundle with Certmaster solely to take the pressure off myself regarding a retake.

Thanks for the reminder regarding time management. I've read that previously, too. Back in my CNE/MCSE days, the tests were adaptive, and sometimes they were 8 questions total. So this scenario is going to be very new to me.... Best of luck to you on your retake.

Does anyone know the best source for exam questions similar to the real test? I don't want and won't visit a brain ****. But I can just tell from Gibson's book that his questions have fewer layers than the real exam likely will.
  • Options
    BTuck2112BTuck2112 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mmcabe You can find some practice test questions similar to the real exam here: exam-labs.com/exam/SY0-401
    These are very wordy confusing questions just like the exam and there are a lot of them. They were very helpful for me to pass the real thing.
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    odog007odog007 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when i took the exam. 72 questions, i checked a few to go back and review. I had to skim through to keep from running out of time. I was clicking on the last question when the time was up..
  • Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BTuck2112 wrote: »
    mmcabe You can find some practice test questions similar to the real exam here: exam-labs.com/exam/SY0-401
    These are very wordy confusing questions just like the exam and there are a lot of them. They were very helpful for me to pass the real thing.
    Hope this helps!

Thank you, BTuck2112--very helpful. Congrats on your pass!
  • Options
    BTuck2112BTuck2112 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is great advice by Skyliinez and this is exactly what I did yesterday. In fact, if I had to read a question more than twice then I just flagged it until the end. This allowed me to never be in trouble with the clock. I only had 2-3 simulation/performance based questions though.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,
    No worries ( I passed on the second). Read the weak areas in where you fail. Dont rely on practice questions, make sure you understand how things work and Darril Gibson and Mike Meyers are a good combination, check also Professor Messer Vids on Youtube.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I failed the first time as well. I then purchased Darill Gibson's book and online resources and my score jumped from 700 -> 890. Well worth it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....