Options

Interview Soon - Detailed Job Spec seems out of my comfort Zone

Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
I've applied for a vacancy and been shortlisted for interview, but now i have received the details of the project it seems to be a bit out of kilter with my experience/knowledge.

I'm employed as a network tech dealing with all BAU issues, but predominantly data, not VOIP. My VOIP dealing literally go as far as ensuring data connectivity to the call manager and other assorted services that the handsets need such as dhcp etc.

I applied for a vacancy as an Tech Analyst for a project role, which was described to me as being part of a large scale Cisco rollout. I've been in contact with the interviewer and it now transpires that the project is for a migration from a legacy voice system to a new provider(Cisco physical with 3rd party voice provider), with all that entails.

This seems to be a bit out of my area of expertise, should i still go for the interview regardless? I'm either going to suck badly, or maybe they are looking for someone to look after the LAN/WAN/Security side of the project.

Thoughts please?

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    I've applied for a vacancy and been shortlisted for interview, but now i have received the details of the project it seems to be a bit out of kilter with my experience/knowledge.

I'm employed as a network tech dealing with all BAU issues, but predominantly data, not VOIP. My VOIP dealing literally go as far as ensuring data connectivity to the call manager and other assorted services that the handsets need such as dhcp etc.

I applied for a vacancy as an Tech Analyst for a project role, which was described to me as being part of a large scale Cisco rollout. I've been in contact with the interviewer and it now transpires that the project is for a migration from a legacy voice system to a new provider(Cisco physical with 3rd party voice provider), with all that entails.

This seems to be a bit out of my area of expertise, should i still go for the interview regardless? I'm either going to suck badly, or maybe they are looking for someone to look after the LAN/WAN/Security side of the project.

Thoughts please?

What are you out if you interview? Is it work you would want do or learn to do?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    YES! Go.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    i am out nothing, its even fortuitously fallen on a day i am not in work
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    should i still go for the interview regardless?

Of course!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Speaking for me, if a job I am applying for doesn't scare me a little, then it's probably not going to help me grow. We only grow when we are outside our comfort zones, that applies to fitness, and that applies for our career.