New CCNP self-study materials

skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
Hello all,

I've been somewhat busy with non-cert related stuff, so I haven't really been here in a while. I'm starting to gear up for a CCNP run. I was wondering if anyone knows when the new self-study materials are going to be released?

Hopefully it's soon, because I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'll be ready to give CCNP my full attention.

Also, what type of equipment is necessary for BSCI? I want to just look at this one exam at a time, and buy the required equipment as I go along for financial reasons.

Thanks

Comments

• pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    I'm planning to do the same thing m8, new 642-812 CCNP will be release 22 at this month i think.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are the cisco press books going to be the only "up to date" books for new the material? I noticed you can pre order on their website already so it must be soon.

Im not sure how much time I will have next year but I would love to pursue the CCNP at some point.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    I just noticed Amazon has them available for pre order as well. The Self-Study Guides will be available Dec. 27, but the Certification guides won't be available until Jun 29.

Is this how it typically goes?
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    skaeight wrote:
    I just noticed Amazon has them available for pre order as well. The Self-Study Guides will be available Dec. 27, but the Certification guides won't be available until Jun 29.

Is this how it typically goes?

I guess so!
    Now working full time!
  • crtplaguecrtplague Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "The Self-Study Guides will be available Dec. 27, but the Certification guides won't be available until Jun 29. "

I think you are correct. I just pre-ordered the new Cisco Press BSCI study guide (3rd edition) from Amazon.

Amazon says it will arrive by Jan 7th but I would not be suprised if it doesn't show up until the 2nd or 3rd week of Jan.

I hope I get by the 7th because I'm anxious to get cracking on my CCNP.
  • Brain-DrainBrain-Drain Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my hands on the new official CCNP Cisco Student Guides about a week ago.

The BSCI has much more IP6, OSPF 4, more security (MD5 authentication for all routing protocols) configuring DHCP (which wasn't on the 642-801 test at all) and multicast routing (which also wasn't on the 642-801).

I haven't looked at the BCMSN guide yet to see what's been changed.

ISCW covers teleworker connectivity (Cable, DSL PPPoE and PPPoA,) Frame mode MPLS implementation, MPLS VPN, IPsec VPNs, Site-to-site VPNs, IOS IPsec High availability, Cisco Easy VPN and Easy VPN Server using SDM, implementing the VPN client, Device hardening, Disabling unused router services, router hardening, mitigating threats with ACLs, Secure management and reporting, AAA, Implementing the IOS firewall, and configuring IOS IPS. A lot of this material is very similar to the "Securing Cisco IOS networks" material from the CCSP track.

ONT is VERY heavy on QoS. It's virtually all QoS. I'm not looking forward to this oneat all!
    It covers VoIP implementation, IP QoS, DiffServ QoS Model, NBAR, Queuing implementations, WFQ, CBWFQ and LLQ, Congestion avoidance, Traffic policing and shaping, WAN link efficiency mechanisms, Implementing QoS preclassify, and End-to-end QoS.

I can't speak to the Cisco press books, but I have had very good experiences with the Cisco student guides for learning this material, both from a test-taking perspective, and from an overall learning and implementation perspective. I do find having a lab or a lab sim like Boson is invaluable for putting the material to practice. I bombed ISIS on the BSCI on my first test attempt. I spent a week with a couple old 1751s actually running ISIS and aced that protocol on the retest.
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very good info Brain Drain. Ill have to start thinking about what to read first :p
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    nice info, they did good changes back there in cisco, very interesting material, more security topics, a lot of qos. For me BCMSN is my number one priority :D
  • Brain-DrainBrain-Drain Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read thru the new BCMSN last night. Cisco has expanded the Campus network section adding IIN and SONA (which is discussed in the ISCW as well), non-heirarchical network issues, a CatOS review (which struck me as odd since there were no CatOS questions on the 642-801). There's still lots of VLAN, VTP, and trunking, and heavy spanning tree including PVSTP, RSTP, and MSTP. Etherchannel aggregation, Inter-VLAN routing, CEF based MLS, High-availability, HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.

The 642-812 has added a lot of wireless. WLAN topology, technologies and standards, lots of configuration of the Aironet 802.11A/B/G card and ADU client, implementing and configuring WANs.

This new test also has voice. Configuring switches to support voice, planning for VoIP implementation, and accomodating voice traffic on the campus.

Lastly, there is a good amount of Security. Minimizing data theft, understanding switching security issues, protecting against VLAN attacks and Spoof attacks, understanding STP security mechanisms, preventing STP forwarding loops, and securing access to switches.

This track has been revised significantly from the 801. I would say there is far more new material in the BCMSN than the BSCI. I will probably read it in detail once I finish the ISCW and ONT.
    CCVP in progress

QoS - studying
    cVoice -
    TUC -
    CIPT -
    GWGK -

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    I read thru the new BCMSN last night. Cisco has expanded the Campus network section adding IIN and SONA (which is discussed in the ISCW as well), non-heirarchical network issues, a CatOS review (which struck me as odd since there were no CatOS questions on the 642-801). There's still lots of VLAN, VTP, and trunking, and heavy spanning tree including PVSTP, RSTP, and MSTP. Etherchannel aggregation, Inter-VLAN routing, CEF based MLS, High-availability, HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP.

The 642-812 has added a lot of wireless. WLAN topology, technologies and standards, lots of configuration of the Aironet 802.11A/B/G card and ADU client, implementing and configuring WANs.

This new test also has voice. Configuring switches to support voice, planning for VoIP implementation, and accomodating voice traffic on the campus.

Lastly, there is a good amount of Security. Minimizing data theft, understanding switching security issues, protecting against VLAN attacks and Spoof attacks, understanding STP security mechanisms, preventing STP forwarding loops, and securing access to switches.

This track has been revised significantly from the 801. I would say there is far more new material in the BCMSN than the BSCI. I will probably read it in detail once I finish the ISCW and ONT.

A good book for ONT is the QoS Certification Guide by Wendell Odom. This will cover just about everything for the ONT except Wireless Security which you can probably find docs on cisco.com/univercd for this.

Also I have been informed Chris Bryant / Train Signal will be releasing new videos for CCNP curriculum....
    Now working full time!
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Just received new Cisco Press BCSI Self Study and have a copy of the Cisco Student Guides also, I am going to go over the new material and try that new exam.
    The new BCMSN exam will be fully IOS based.
  • peterd51peterd51 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I bought the BSCI from Ciscopress and it was delivered in a very quick time...

came from Lebonon in four days.

It worked out a bit cheaper than buying from Amazon UK but they used FedEx who scam us here in the UK for 'taxes' a few weeks after delivery so it'll work out about the same price eventually.

So I had a quick look at the book and there's 3 - 4 extra chapters on the 'safari' web-site, with a code printed in the book to get '45 days free access'...

but I can't see how to register for the free 45 days without subscribing at vast expense to the full service.

Has anyone achieved it yet please?

I'm certainly not going to pay extra for these chapters when they should be included in the book that I've already bought...

Regards
    Peter