MCSA ->How do I get started :-)

DelmirocDelmiroc Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know the requirements, passing scores, electives, books, ect..

my question is, how does Microsoft know that you are attempting to become a MCSA?

Do I just follow the exam path, and I'm set?

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    when you take your first exam with Microsoft, there's a certification planner that tells you what exams you gotta take to fulfill the next certification. And it figures out what certifications you're working on automatically for you.

As you take more and more exams, the planner is updated to reflect the possibilities.

Enjoy.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • DelmirocDelmiroc Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cool, Thank you!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You just speak clearly into the chip Microsoft has installed in your skull. No, but seriously, you just register for the exams, as BigHornSheep explained. You also might have to go and notify Microsoft if you're planning on using one of the CompTIA exams as your elective. I forget if it's on CompTIA's website or Microsoft's, but if you take a peek at each site, I'm sure you'll find it. Just do a search for "CompTIA" on Microsoft.com, and a search for "MCSA" on CompTIA.org, and it'll probably be listed.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • CicadaCicada Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    You just speak clearly into the chip Microsoft has installed in your skull. No, but seriously, you just register for the exams, as BigHornSheep explained. You also might have to go and notify Microsoft if you're planning on using one of the CompTIA exams as your elective. I forget if it's on CompTIA's website or Microsoft's, but if you take a peek at each site, I'm sure you'll find it. Just do a search for "CompTIA" on Microsoft.com, and a search for "MCSA" on CompTIA.org, and it'll probably be listed.
    i'm currently studying for 70-290, and doing exams in this order:

A+

for MCSA, then perhaps go on to complete MCSE. now, when I complete A+ as my elective [kill two birds with one stone!] will i be able to use it/notify microsoft of it? or does that choice only apply to people who already hold an A+ cert before they start on the exam track?
    You'll need both A+ and Network+ as an elective for MCSA, or Security+ by itself. Keep in mind, the A+/Network+ combo doesn't fill the requirements for MCSE, only MCSA. If you want to use a CompTIA exam as an elective for both, I'd say take a look at the Security+.

Cicada wrote:
    for MCSA, then perhaps go on to complete MCSE. now, when I complete A+ as my elective [kill two birds with one stone!] will i be able to use it/notify microsoft of it? or does that choice only apply to people who already hold an A+ cert before they start on the exam track?

you need to have both A+ and Network+ before you can notify MS to use as an elective for MCSA. You CANNOT use A+ and Network+ as an elective to MCSE, only Security+ or the others from MS's list of electives.

http://certification.comptia.org/mcsa/ms_signup_form.aspx
    Slowhand wrote:
    You'll need both A+ and Network+ as an elective for MCSA, or Security+ by itself. Keep in mind, the A+/Network+ combo doesn't fill the requirements for MCSE, only MCSA. If you want to use a CompTIA exam as an elective for both, I'd say take a look at the Security+.

dang it, you beat me!
    I've been saving that burst of typing-energy all year.

And yes, Cicada, you notify Microsoft of it at any time after you've become an MCP. I believe it's actually done through CompTIA's site, under a section called "CompTIA and MCSA".