blancoj17blancoj17 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Team,
Now that a new switch is been moved to the lab, I have the following question....

I do have a 3750 and a 3550...Do you think that I should be fine for my lab or do I need to get the new one....

Regards,

J.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? (CCIE to be...)

Comments

• PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    I would look at rental time. For the things that are different, you can learn fine on a little rental time for a lot less money.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    those are some not cheap switches.. they'll work great for you home lab.. i tend to agree with pch on the rack rentals and at the same time i understand why you want to have the lab at home you can turn on and off anytime
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • blancoj17blancoj17 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have not problem with the rack rental...ofcourse is not the same thing like wakeup in the middle of the night do some work and go back to bed again without having to worried about what is going on on the other end.......btw I just wonder if the same features available on the 3560 will be available on the 3750.....btw in another topic...I have been monitoring this forum and I have to tell you that it rocks....I like what I see...

J.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? (CCIE to be...)
    i believe the 3750 should be compairable feature wise to the 3560s.. i couldn't find info on the 3750 support for ospf ver 3.. but that doesn't mean it doesn't until you try
  • HELLZxPHADERHELLZxPHADER Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sw1(config)#in fastEthernet 1/0/24
    sw1(config-if)#no switchport
    sw1(config-if)#ipv6 unicast-routing
    sw1(config)#ipv6 router ospf 1
    sw1(config-rtr)#
    (from my 3750 hehe)

3560 and up will have support ospfv3
    blancoj17 wrote:
    I have not problem with the rack rental...ofcourse is not the same thing like wakeup in the middle of the night do some work and go back to bed again without having to worried about what is going on on the other end.......btw I just wonder if the same features available on the 3560 will be available on the 3750.....btw in another topic...I have been monitoring this forum and I have to tell you that it rocks....I like what I see...

J.

B4 you invest in any type of cisco equip, if you are looking for specific features in hardware and are unsure of which one does what, goto cisco.com type feature navigator in search, save to favorites. here it is put in fav http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=featSelect&task=init&featStartsWith=All. Whoever is not familiar with this link should really check it out. explore it lots till you have a good idea of what hardware can or can't do, same for ios try to stay within the 12.3 - 12.4 adventerprise stuff- thats where the important stuff is.

R&S = 12.4 ADVENT IOS FOR ROUTERS AND 122 ADVIPSERV FOR SWITCH.

If you are curious bout the ios feature differences between the 3560 and 3750 just goto that link find the best ios for each and compare em. You can also compare documentation for each switch, but with documentation theres lotta blah sometimes. For CCIE both will work, since u have 3750 already stick with another one.
    HELLZxPHADER,
    Thanks for the link, I had used it before....according to your link and according to the ios image download site....the 3750 does not support ipv6... 12.2.35-SE1 (ED) is the latest ios available for download...there is not images for 12.3xxx or 12.4xxx if you do not mind and can you share the full image name in your 3750 or show version in order for me to find that specific image that you are using on the cisco web site....below is what right now I have on my 3750

System image file is "flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-35.SE.bin"

Thanks....
    HELLZxPHADER,
    I went back again to image tool...and I saw that my current image should support ipv6 but it does

System image file is "flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-35.SE.bin"

See below and you could see that there is not option for ipv6
    do I am missing something here?

ip Global IP configuration subcommands
    ixi IXI Config command
    kerberos Configure Kerberos
    key Key management

sw2(config-if)#no switchport
    sw2(config-if)#ipv6 unicast-routing
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

sw2(config-if)#
    sw2(config-if)#
    sw2(config-if)#exit
    sw2(config)#
    sw2(config)#
    sw2(config)#ipv6 unicast-routing
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

sw2(config)#
    sw2(config)#
    sw2(config)#
    use this command in global...
    sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 default

then make sure everything else that is required for ipv6 is enabled

sw1(config)#sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 default
    sw1(config)#ipv
    sw1(config)#ipv6 ?
    access-list Configure access lists
    cef Cisco Express Forwarding for IPv6
    general-prefix Configure a general IPv6 prefix
    hop-limit Configure hop count limit
    host Configure static hostnames
    icmp Configure ICMP parameters
    mld Global MLD Snooping enable for Catalyst Vlans
    neighbor Neighbor
    ospf OSPF
    prefix-list Build a prefix list
    route Configure static routes
    router Enable an IPV6 routing process
    unicast-routing Enable unicast routing

sw1(config)#ipv6
    also to add .. i got some quotes for a 3750 and a 3560.. the 3560 is cheaper but if you going to ebay it its all gonna be cheaper than the purchase direct path
    I bought my from ebay....when looking at the prices I noticed that the 3560 and 3750 were running for almost the same price...that is why i got the 3750 from this group in china.....
    blancoj17 wrote:
    I bought my from ebay....when looking at the prices I noticed that the 3560 and 3750 were running for almost the same price...that is why i got the 3750 from this group in china.....

i guess my post got lost.. icon_redface.gif

i was asking how it is working. I have heard some horror stories from people that have bought cisco gear that happened to be knockoffs
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keenon wrote:

i guess my post got lost.. icon_redface.gif

i was asking how it is working. I have heard some horror stories from people that have bought cisco gear that happened to be knockoffs

I bought 2 divx portable players from China, neither worked, Paypal retrieved my cash.
    Needless to say i wont be doing ebay business with china again.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    So far so good...I bought as well some serials cards and cables....and still not problem...I did have small problem inserting one of the cards on a 26xx router slot but finally i was able to do so....let keep my finger cross.... :)
    HELLZxPHADER
    Thanks for your tip, the sdm prefer dual-ipv4-and-ipv6 default did the job...ipv6 is working wihout problems....I just download the the entire ipv6 pdf for this specific switch....you are the man....
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Twins have arrived! :D

2 3750s to go with my 2 3550s
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • romainromain Member Posts: 222
    mikej412 wrote:
    The Twins have arrived! :D

2 3750s to go with my 2 3550s
    What the new babies names ? icon_lol.gif
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    We just upgraded all of our 3550s/48s to 3750s and have 34 left over for us to do with as we please...we're in the process of making beautiful IE lab :D
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    romain wrote:
    What the new babies names ? icon_lol.gif
    I named them S3750-1 and S3750-2..... but I'll probably just call them SW3 and SW4 when I do the NMC DoITs.... and SW1 and SW2 when I do InternetworkExpert Labs icon_lol.gif

They work great!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!