Exam 70-698 - is college course enough?

NoctilumNoctilum Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am about to conclude an eight week course at a community college designed around the 70-698 exam. It is using the Microsoft Official Installing and Configuring Windows 10 book along with Microsoft Online Labs for the homework. Our instructor states that many of the quiz and test questions she gives us are from the cert test itself, though reading around these forums it seems hard to believe. Do you think it would be worth a try to take the test after this course or should I do additional prep work? Should I try for the MTA instead first?

Comments

• logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How did you do in the class? Were you getting good grades and leaving with a solid understanding of the material? I wish I could have taken a course instead of self studying. I'd say check out Microsoft Virtual Academy and watch the videos for the exam just to review and I think you should be good to take the exam.

When I was in community college working on an associates degree I made the mistake of not getting certified in the courses I was taking. I was in a similar situation where the class was using the official Microsoft books and labs. At the time I wasn't thinking about certification I was just interested in passing the class. Had I been more focused and took the certification at the same time I would be much further ahead in my career.
  • NoctilumNoctilum Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tomorrow is the final exam. I have a 93% in the class. 100% on the homework, but quiz and test scores are what I got marked down. They were open book but I forced myself to not look up the material. I've been in IT for 20 years now and already have my degree so I am not concerned about the grade itself. Plus work is paying for it all. I have been doing the practice tests the instructor gives us and I am getting about 50/60 questions correct each time. She said there were 400 questions that it will randomly choose from each time I take it. The final exam will have all 400 questions. I think I have a good understanding but I have test anxiety and will inherently struggle because of that.
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    400 questions on a final exam?! That's crazy. How much time do they give you to take it? The actual Microsoft exam only had about 50 questions on it and they give you 150 minutes.
    Turns out it was 486 questions and we had 3 hours to complete it. I received a 93% on it.

I am trying to register for the exam on Microsoft's site and it is giving me the error:

50041: Sorry, we are having a service interruption and we are unable to complete your transaction. Please contact customer support.

Of course, the customer support link goes to a 404 error page. I have been trying to register for the last couple of weeks with the same results. Is there another way to register besides the registration button on the exam page?
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tried going through https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/learning/exam-70-698.aspx and use a browser with no pop up blockers enabled.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

That is the exact page I've been using. I tried with different browsers and no pop-up blockers but I get the same error. If I try and register through other companies it redirects me to that site so it's an endless loop. Thanks for your help though.
    Well I talked with Microsoft and they fixed the problem on their end and I can register now. I'm going to take it tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if the college course was of any use!
    Good luck!
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

Reporting back that I passed!
    Another pass! Congrats!
    Certifications: