GCIH Passed

Buckeye222Buckeye222 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
First SANS cert.

Read, read, read, read. Update, update, and update your index. Knowing your index is key. Keep it light worded and to the point. Take your practice test and focus on weak areas. CEH book by Matt Walker actually cross references a lot of stuff on GCIH such as ADS, DDOS, Netcat, Evasion, Recon, Metasploit. It gives a different perspective to help with weak areas but 97% of the focus should be on SANS material. Read it and practice. Over and over.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, This is the most valuable SANS certification to have in the marketplace in my opinion.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! The GCIH pursuit has been my favorite certification experience.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on what E Double U said. After who know how many certs in 20 years GCIH is still my #1. I just renewed it and it didn't even hurt spending the money.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How were the practice tests in comparison to the actual exam?

Congrats by the way!

I took my first practice and got 76 on it. About to take my second one next week and my exam is on the 28th :)

I'm having a tough time with DNS related topics for some reason, mainly zone transfer stuff.
  • Buckeye222Buckeye222 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late response. The quiz was relative to the exam. Know your material, know why they are asking what they are asking, and know where to find it in the index quickly. A lot of information is available online for things you need more info about. I used to CEH book to further study anything I didn't fully understand. It was helpful and a great reference. The SANS GCIH topics can be fairly vague.
  • wrickazwrickaz Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done! Any tips in making good index?
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Congrats....I am repeatedly hearing great reviews on this certification. This is definitely on my list next. Need to get the company to pay for the training somehow.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wrickaz wrote: »
    Well done! Any tips in making good index?

Index the slide titles (to something you can relate if it isn't something that makes sense)
    Index the slides keywords
    Index the Notes sections of any specific topic that is being discussed
    Index the tools (hell even take screenshots of what they look like) and DESCRIBE what they do

Seriously, if your index's are not 10 or so pages...you're doing it wrong IMO.

The whole point of the index, outside of a quick reference, is to help your short-term memory remember concepts and topics without needing to look at it.

My smallest index was for GCIH at 22 pages. My largest was for GAWN which was 80 pages. I never looked at either book more than a handful of times.
  • andrea76andrea76 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Index the slide titles (to something you can relate if it isn't something that makes sense)
    Index the slides keywords
    Index the Notes sections of any specific topic that is being discussed
    Index the tools (hell even take screenshots of what they look like) and DESCRIBE what they do

Seriously, if your index's are not 10 or so pages...you're doing it wrong IMO.

The whole point of the index, outside of a quick reference, is to help your short-term memory remember concepts and topics without needing to look at it.

My smallest index was for GCIH at 22 pages. My largest was for GAWN which was 80 pages. I never looked at either book more than a handful of times.

I am probably going for this certification (not sure if my company would pay for the course or not) So thanks for sharing the tips to make a good index, I am in need of every suggestion on this exam. Thanks again!
  • krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed GCIH today. It was a little more difficult that I expected. A lot of obscure information in the materials. I've found that the key is to do exactly what Buckeye222 stated ("Read, read, read, read. Update, update, and update your index").
    "The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

Did you take the course or simply challenged the exam?
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did take the course and had the "On-demand" videos.
    "The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A late congrats to Buckeye222 and congrats to krucial85. I am currently (self) studying on that cert now and will attempt it next month. Thanks for the tips, especially since materials directly for the GCIH seem to be scarce, so I will be checking out that CEH book by Matt Walker.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • kboadu22kboadu22 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the PAss!
  • despacitodespacito Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree. you have to read a lot to understand all the concept in book. Practice test will only show u what kind of question will be out, how good your indexing is, and which area you need to read more on. I find the real exam questions are much harder, as it makes you think harder and to find the answer u must know the concept very well. Along with a good indexing, it can lead you to the answer in book. Make sure to highlight on the keywords and keep the remarks short and simple as you need to glance through very fast during exam. I also include a command and tools indexing listed in alphabetical order as I find it hard to remember where to look for them in my book index.