Options

COMPLETE Newbie

schaccschacc Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

This is my first time here. I am a complete newbie to this CompTIA A+ thing. Although I've been around PCs for a good while. I purchased the A+ Certification All in one exam guide fifth edition sometime last year and just finished reading through it this past summer. Took an OS Technologies course at a local college and passed that class with an "A". But I still feel somewhat uprepared to take these tests after seeing some of the sample questions.

Now I'm frustrated because I found out that the exam is changing and I have already invested all this time and money. I don't know what to do to start with. I'm confused about vouchers and signing up....can anyone who has done this give me advice on what I should do?

Thanks,
schacc

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    First, Welcome :)

Second, the time you have invested into preparing isn't a waste. You will need this information moving forward and should consider it part of the process. All exams upgrade as time progresses to meet the current trends. The good news is that the exams are usually behind the times of current technology, so you won't need the things released next week ;)

Get a copy of the objectives and prepare from those.

I don't use vouchers, but you may follow the link on the left and search for a voucher that matches the exam you will take. Vouchers may offer you a price break and/or study material to prepare for your upcoming exam.

So you may get a voucher or not.
    Sign up for your exam at Prometric or Vue websites and follow the instructions and location options there.

Not too difficult, but yes that first time can seem strange. We've all done it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    schaccschacc Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply Plantwiz. Couple of more questions for you:

I've seen the objectives and I think I have a good feel for a lot of the stuff but when I take the sample questions, they seem like they have nothing to do with what I've studied. So, I don't know if I'm studying wrong or what...I only come close or not close at all to the passing score.

What's the deal with the vouchers anyway? I've seen around that they are supposed to be a good thing...but you say you didn't use them. Is it a matter of preference?

So what happens if you don't pass? Are you out a couple of hundred bucks just like that?

Sorry for being such a bother...but I don't have dollars to be wasting and I'm trying really hard to make something of myself here....

Thanks!

BTW: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this "The good news is that the exams are usually behind the times of current technology, so you won't need the things released next week ". Sorry..could you elaborate?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The vouchers can save you a few bucks on your exams. I just don't want to bother with it. Absolutely nothing wrong with using them, but I don't.

To write exams, it takes the vendors a long time to assemble their questions, test the questions for coherence, meets whatever other guidelines the vendor has established. So, technology that is release today, or tomorrow for example won't likely be on the first releases of the new exams....though near the end of the life of the exam....it is possible you will see today's technology being tested as the vendor prepares for their next upgrade.

Don't worry about it....it's really not that important. Stick with the objectives and you will be fine.

As far as learning that what you know doesn't match the practice exams....well welcome to IT Certifications. The vendors are looking for the best answer....not always your answer. Book Authors/Publishers like Meyers and Sybex have been in the game a long while now and can help prepare a candidate by giving hints/tips about what the exams may be looking for.

Nothing is absolute....take your time/read the questions/answer and move on.

While it stinks to 'fail' an exam, it is bound to happen to just about everyone at some point. Relax, all the exams can be retaken and it is just part of the process...it doesn't mean the candidate doesn't know the material. I know several extremely talented Techs who have never taken an exam and really have no need to take one....they are proficient and no exam will prove or disprove it...their work speaks volumes. I also know too many tech who have certificates and cannot troubleshoot a PC problem let alone a network issue.

Do your best....as you have likely heard throughout your life...that's all you can do.

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?