Current GIAC/SANS cert goals?

fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious to what GIAC certs people are currently working on. Anybody thinking of challenging an exam? I'm currently working on GCIA/503.

Comments

• nebula105nebula105 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Starting on the GCIH next week!

All the best for your GCIA icon_lol.gif
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    I thought about challenging GCIH but the price just doesn't justifiy it. I would love to actually take a SANs course since I haven't been able to as of yet, GCIA and GCFA seems very interesting to me.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I submitted a request for the GPEN course so currently awaiting approval.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm wanting to challenge GCIH. Currently sidetracked by cloud (CCSK/CCSP) but hoping to hop back to it sooner than later.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Next on my SANS list is the GPEN, but probably will not be able to get the company to pay for the course until 2019. Till then I want to knock out the CCNA certification and take some type of Pentesting course, probably not the OSCP, more likely one of the Jr. Pentester courses/certs.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GICSP. A bit basic for me, but a good resume booster.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Right now my 2018 goal is GSTRT. I have two work study applications in flight so hopefully one of those pans out.
  • globalenjoiglobalenjoi Member Posts: 104 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll be taking the 542 course in Baltimore next month. Working through the ELS PTP course material in the meantime, with the goal of completing both before the 660 course this fall.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    In the middle of GPEN!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Currently working on GXPN, which is the first exam I've ever extended. Hoping to do GCWN or GNFA later in the year.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    None. Not likely, but maybe SANS SEC760, who knows.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just started the Sans master program so I have to take GSEC (currently in) > GCIH > GCIA. For my 3 electives I am thinking: GPEN, GWAPT, and ??
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working on: GCTI
    Planning on: GREM, GASF, GRID, GISP*

(*unless I qualify for CISSP directly at the time)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Right now my 2018 goal is GSTRT. I have two work study applications in flight so hopefully one of those pans out.

Just got turned down for my first attempt at work study yesterday, I'm waiting until my current employment possibilities shakes out before submitting more applications.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just started the Sans master program so I have to take GSEC (currently in) > GCIH > GCIA. For my 3 electives I am thinking: GPEN, GWAPT, and ??

That's awesome Yuck! Is your employer paying for the program?
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Current: I have to take GWAPT and GLEG in basically a span of 3 weeks together. Eek.

In the Next 6 months: GNFA, GCFE, GCTI and then the new SIEM one they just put out

My brain is melting.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Signed up for the Penetration Testing & Ethical Hacking Grad Certificate and going to use company tuition reimbursement at the rate of 1 class/year.

Transferred in SEC504/GCIH since it was within their two year transfer deadline. Taking SEC542/GWAPT this year at Sec West.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Cuse0311 wrote: »
    That's awesome Yuck! Is your employer paying for the program?

Yup! I'm in more of a network role but I was still able to convince them to pay for it :)
    Current: I have to take GWAPT and GLEG in basically a span of 3 weeks together. Eek.

In the Next 6 months: GNFA, GCFE, GCTI and then the new SIEM one they just put out

My brain is melting.

WOw, why are you taking so many courses?
  • quogue66quogue66 Member Posts: 193 ■■■■□□□□□□

My brain is melting.

wow, you may break my record of 5 SANS certs (and 3 vendor certs) in 11 months.
    Yup! I'm in more of a network role but I was still able to convince them to pay for it :)

That's impressive! I don't think I can convince an employer to pay for a degree, not common in Australia anyway..

quogue66 wrote: »

It takes me 4 months to do a single SANS cert icon_lol.gif

• Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOw, why are you taking so many courses?

GI Bill for the Pen Testing Cert Track + Work is paying for me to go to more so I can become our Training Director are the main factors. This is predominately GI Bill though. I have enough formal education, and these are definitely much more fun!

quogue66 wrote: »

If we go back to Fall 2017: GCIH, GPEN already with hopes of GWAPT, GLEG, GNFA, GREM, GCTI and GCDA all by Feb 2019. Not doing too well on the GWAPT practice tests though. Need to step up the learning on that.

UnixGuy wrote: »
    That's impressive! I don't think I can convince an employer to pay for a degree, not common in Australia anyway..

Hence the GI Bill mate! I tried to use my time wisely and have taken heed with Eric Conrad's mantra when he lectures on joining SANS as an instructor: "Never stop learning and every time you are doing something mindless...you could be learning something new."

My Background is predominately DFIR. But since doing the Pen Testing cert it really opened my eyes to the other world and I have really enjoyed learning all the tricks and tools. Next up are the management certs just to appease the HR people. I don't do the certs for anything other than that: the classes are the real gems, not the pieces of papers.

Hence the GI Bill mate! I tried to use my time wisely and have taken heed with Eric Conrad's mantra when he lectures on joining SANS as an instructor: "Never stop learning and every time you are doing something mindless...you could be learning something new."

^^ This will be my new signature!!

Well done mate!!