How hard is it to get an entry level job at big Tech companies Microsoft, Facebook?

stark4stark4 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm just curious to know how hard is it to get an entry level helpdesk type job at big tech companies like Microsoft, Facebook, amazon etc? Are they very picky even if you have experience? Anyone here apply for entry level job at those companies before?

Thanks

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    a lot of the basic work is outsourced. A friend of mine worked there as a service engineer which is like a step between NOC and Engineering and on top of having to be proficient in Cisco and juniper they also expected people to have a basic understanding of code. So the challenge is high, but its doable. If you feel you aren' good enough, just make yourself good enough.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think this is tough at any big employer that offers good pay and benefits, even the government. Getting a contract gig at a large employer is very doable, but to transition that into a full time gig, this often every difficult. One of the reasons is simply that the number of full time jobs in IT are shrinking, increasingly companies are shifting IT to the "cloud", especially with Cyber Security, if they can push the risk off on a outsourced third party, it looks great on paper to upper management.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've only worked at one big tech company, Intel, and that wasn't even in IT lol.
    It does seem to be a high barrier though. I heard at Amazon an applicant can go through as many as 17 interviews and any one of them can nix the application. And I heard it gets even harder when you hit 35...
  • SkryblzSkryblz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just applied at Amazon as an IT Support Administrator, and the qualifications were not difficult. Whether I get an interview is another thing though!
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    I've only worked at one big tech company, Intel, and that wasn't even in IT lol.
    It does seem to be a high barrier though. I heard at Amazon an applicant can go through as many as 17 interviews and any one of them can nix the application. And I heard it gets even harder when you hit 35...

I think that is more applicable to developers.

Those companies usually look for fresh guys to make their internship there and if they are good enough they get hired.
    chmod wrote: »
    I think that is more applicable to developers.

Those companies usually look for fresh guys to make their internship there and if they are good enough they get hired.
    Well I was referring to entry level jobs specifically, but apparently it does apply to all levels and fields.

The median employee age at top tech companies in America: CHART - Business Insider
  • azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    umm.... 17 INTERVIEWS? WHAAAAT?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have some factual information in regards to tech companies and Amazon in particular.

Not taking credit for this, several different publication came out listing the top tech companies and the life expectancy of an employee. Out of ~20 of them, including Facebook, Amazon, MS, etc... 2.02 years tops the class with Facebook and I believe Google was just over a year at the lowest.

My former boss and friend took a position with Amazon in Seattle ~1 year ago. He had to sign an NDA before interviewing. He wouldn't go into detail about the projects but he said they would blow your mind. R&D stuff....

He passed ~ 4 interviews and received the position of Senior Data Scientist.

Expect a lot of off the wall questions

Note: This guy has a legitimate IQ north of 140.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amazon is opening a new data center in Bahrain, there are lots of positions if any of you is willing to relocate and Amazon is willing to sponsor you.

I was approached by an Amazon recruiter for a data center operator position, I am older than 35 and have no data center experience.

He told me that you only need to be willing to learn to get the job.

I didn't follow up with him because it is a 24/7 shifts job and my wife wouldn't let me apply for it because of this :D

So I guess it depends on the location and the company needs at that time.
    azi90 wrote: »
    umm.... 17 INTERVIEWS? WHAAAAT?
    I read that in a Forbes article, I think it may have been Forbes anyway. It didn't state that every applicant went through 17 interviews, and I should have phrased it more clearly. Every candidate could get interviewed by as many as 17 people, some of the interviews would probably be done with multiple people on them.
  • adaliadellaadaliadella Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When it comes to customer service, the candidates are selected for both IT related jobs and also for BPO technical support jobs.try you level best prepare yourself
  • RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's stupid. Their pay and benefits aren't even that great considering the high cost of living areas these companies are typically in. I've never done more than 2 interview, technical was basically what do you know about this or that.

Source: 6-figure income in low COL area with incredible benefits and no on-call. No, not free dinners to entice you to work 70 hrs a week. 401k match, 3-4 weeks of trainnig, pension, on-site gym, WFH, flex-schedules, too much vaca, and tuition and cert 100% reimbursement.

These tech giants and their recruiting gauntlets are overrated.