Passed CWS and CWT

ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed the new foundational CWS and CWT exams from CWNP this week. All in all a good path to learn fundamentals of new wireless technologies, if you're like me and your job requirements are more "jack-of-all-trades". I used the Sybex CWTS, CWS, and CWT book, which covered a lot of the material, and the CWNP practice exams. I also used some of the CWS online eLearning because I received a coupon to get it free. I'm not really a sittin' and watching videos guy, but if that type of learning works better for you the course seemed well taught.

I already have the CWTS, but since it is being phased out it doesn't really deal with some of the latest 802.11 standards, including 802.11ac. And since the CWS and CWT have to be renewed every three years, that will help motivate me to keep aware of the progression over time.

Comments

• Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Care to share how this will benefit you in your current position, or how you plan to implement your new knowledge? (assuming you perform some sort or wireless management/design) I enjoy the wireless side and hope to take the exam in the future.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Neil86 wrote: »
    Congrats. Care to share how this will benefit you in your current position, or how you plan to implement your new knowledge? (assuming you perform some sort or wireless management/design) I enjoy the wireless side and hope to take the exam in the future.

Thanks.

My current role is an IT Systems Engineer, and the role is a "jack-of-all-trades", meaning I do a bit of a lot of different things desktop, server, network, and mobile related. So, having some knowledge of current wifi technologies is important.

There are a couple additional benefits in that I do some side work at small shops will be considering upgrades from Ethernet networks in the future, and I wanted to brush up on my wireless knowledge. So, I would see doing some small wifi network designs, Also, I have the material to pursue CWNA, so will probably do so. I figured I might as well take CWS and CWT on that path since my company will pay for the exams.

Ultimately, I generally pursue certs in a variety of topics, because my IT career has involved mostly the type of role I have now. And regardless if someone were to go into IT Security, Client Support, or other IT roles, understanding wifi basics is helpful. The CWS and CWT would fit that bill.
  • Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats mate go get CWNA!
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks! I have a CWNA book on my desk, and mostly through the first read through!