CCNA Data Center, CCNA R&S first?

boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
Real quick easy question. I was just going over the CCNA Data Center exam topics and it covers a lot of material that's covered on the CCNA.

I am thinking about changing my degree path from the Networking and Security to Systems Admin and Cloud Technologies at WGU.

If I want to get into the data center material which path is going to align me with the closest path towards mastering data center technologies?
Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Per Cisco's certification path, you don't need any prerequisite certifications like CCENT or CCNA: R&S to go for the CCNA: DC...therefore you don't "need" to get the CCNA: R&S. With that being said, it might be difficult to get directly into a data center without experience, so going for CCNA: DC first might be a risk.

I would probably do CCNA:R&S first so you can get some of the basic networking stuff down and that way you can be more diverse as far as credentials.
  • boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, so stick to the networking path for now then branch off to Data center, maybe security will tie into this as well considering I have to accomplish that for WGU anyway
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good lordy,

switching degrees would probably be pointless.
    just focus on GETTING your degree.

You can always pursue any specialty that you deem fit.
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Real quick easy question. I was just going over the CCNA Data Center exam topics and it covers a lot of material that's covered on the CCNA.

I am thinking about changing my degree path from the Networking and Security to Systems Admin and Cloud Technologies at WGU.

If I want to get into the data center material which path is going to align me with the closest path towards mastering data center technologies?

Having a degree in Networking and Security doesn't mean you have to go down that exact path. You'd be amazed how many people end up doing something different than they thought they would.

Finish your degree, get your CCNA R&S, then go from there. CCNA:DC should be much easier to knock out at that point.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • cratermancraterman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To understand DC, you should know R&S well. If you are just starting your way in network technologies, then it's better to start with CCNA R&S.