Is it too late?

eightbitmeeightbitme Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, here's my story.

I wasted my youth with arts degrees. Now I am 33, and I am working part time while trying to finish my first novel. I am looking for a CAREER that is sustainable.

I LOVE working with computers,the problem solving, the installation, the tinkering, it is fun for me! However, it has been about 5 years since I have worked basic IT. I have started reading a comptia a+ textbook and I have recently signed up for a year of test out, which I am loving.

Here's my problem, I am feeling severely intimidated that it I am too old and too inexperienced to get into IT.

What do you guys think?

Also, I am starting with a+ due to my lack of experience but where do you think I should go from there?

Comments

• Andy2mAndy2m Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's Never too late. If you have the drive and determination then you will succeed ;The A+ will get your CV looked at by employers and be a big help to getting your foot in the door.
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never too late. Do it.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This reminds me of some of the audit reports that I participate in reviewing. Even with their inconsistent grammar and dry content that is ultimately beyond my control, these reports are literally worth thousands of dollars. Having the skill to be able to write those in an entertaining and digestible manner would certainly not be a waste of time and effort.

Unfortunately you're kind of at the beginning IT-wise and you can only take one step at a time. But you can make those steps short and quick. My advice is to FINISH your A+ so you can start the next step soon.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    I remember those days when I got my A.A degree and tried to become a Screenwriter. My dream job is not IT actually. I still want to become a screenwriter like James Cameron or M Night Shamalan. If I asked what is your dream job to all the members on here, I wouldn't doubt that half of them will say their dream job is definitely not IT.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    coldbug wrote: »
    I remember those days when I got my A.A degree and tried to become a Screenwriter. My dream job is not IT actually. I still want to become a screenwriter like James Cameron or M Night Shamalan. If I asked what is your dream job to all the members on here, I wouldn't doubt that half of them will say their dream job is definitely not IT.

What!!?!?!? IT is my life.. and dream job :)
  • eightbitmeeightbitme Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You guys are all awesome! This has given me a massive burst of confidence.

And my dream job is being a novelist but my second dream job is working IT. It always has been, I just haven't had a chance to get to it until now.
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    <---- 32 and just getting started. Get to it.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    coldbug wrote: »
    If I asked what is your dream job to all the members on here, I wouldn't doubt that half of them will say their dream job is definitely not IT.

This is definitely my dream job. I love this stuff!

Of course, I'd also love to do other things (astronaut, physicist, pilot, etc.), but I don't think I'd have as much fun as I am now. IT really is a fun career choice and is truly a dream job. Of course, when I tell my wife the cool stuff I got to play with or fix or configure, she thinks it's boring nerd stuff.

Some of us are real IT nerds... New Intel CPU, new router/firewall, new devices or software... We get excited!
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    32yrs old is the cutoff to enter IT field. You were so close. So sorry. icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's never too late and the only one that can give up is you!! You can do it!!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Reviewed my thoughts. I remember seeing these people on here with multiple certs..loaded! If they didn't go for these certs without passion and commitment to IT industry field, they would never had those. It's not about being too late or too early..it's all about what drives you to your goal. No matter whether it is IT or Liberal Arts..Just Do It!.
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    I think its pretty clear from a lot of other people on this forum that your age will not be an impediment to you getting into this field. This is a field that, at least for the smaller companies, values actual skills over anything else. If you are willing to put in the time with your A+ and maybe volunteer to help a local school/local community institution with its IT setup or maintenance, you are putting yourself on a good path. In terms of specific advice, it depends on what kinds of jobs you have in your local area and whether you would be willing to move. One thing I recommend is to look for entry level IT positions on Indeed and see what kinds of experience they are looking for. Try to match the skill requirements of your local market as best as you can.

I'd also recommend looking for volunteering opportunities. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. One of my favorite examples is helping a church set up or maintain a website. Obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but just exemplifies how you can find opportunities to help your community basically anywhere while also proving yourself.

Once you've gotten your certs and some hands on technical volunteering experience (wouldn't take more than a couple months if you really apply yourself), you can start going for some entry-level IT positions. This is where matching the expected skill-sets really comes into play.

Another thing I would recommend is going to career fairs in your local area. Those are awesome for finding jobs, learning about expectations, and for pushing your resume. I think you should try to find career fairs in your area that include IT jobs and attend as many of them as you can. You really can learn a lot from them.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lots of people leave the military every year in their 30s and 40s and transition into an IT career just fine. And I'm not referring to those whose primary job in the military was IT-related. I was in my early 30s when I left the Army, and I transitioned from Psychological Operations to IT, and I didn't have any kind of degree, just a couple of self-taught Microsoft certifications. I had a former workmate that was Infantry with a Bachelor's degree in Textiles Management and he was an amazing Unix system administrator. The hardest part of getting into IT is getting your foot in the door, so be willing to do anything. One of my first jobs after I left the Army was with one of the shittiest web hosting companies in the world, low pay, long work hours, low morale, high turnover. It was awful. But, I spent every day in that environment honing my Linux skills and learning everything I could, and after six months it led to an awesome job and it just kept getting better from there. My best advice to you: accept any position just to make your break into this field, always be learning and try to accumulate a wide variety of skills and certifications, and most importantly: never burn bridges, those friends you make today can lead to an amazing job later in your career.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its never to late. I taught for many years normally older students are some of the best. However instead of A+ why dont you start with IT Fundamentals and if you enjoyed that and want more A+ then. I only recommend that because you may not like IT world. This way your out less than $200. You can get the book cheap and lots of sites have online videos covering this stuff cheap.
  • techbitstechbits Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Get A+, then do what you feel you are interested in. Network+ and Security+ usually are the next certs to get after A+. Don't worry about this age thing, it's merely psychological - if you find yourself gravitating toward computers then do the A+ cert. Don't doubt yourself mate, you're probably already qualified without having the cert to prove it.

As for the novelist idea, I'd say do both at same time. You can't do one all day long, do one while you are having a break from the other. Give yourself a couple of months to study. Pass the exam, then re-assess on your next move. Sound do-able?
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll chime in and add that I didn't start in IT professionally until I was 40. I've always been a PC hobbyist and worked with computers at work as an end user, but I was in telecommunications, which as some crossover with IT, but I was old school telecommunications, which not so much. I leveraged my background and emphasized skills such as troubleshooting, engineering telecom networks to my advantage which has worked largely in my favor. It helped that I had completed a BS degree in IT also, but at least you have a four year degree.

A+ was my first cert, followed by Net+, and from there I got my first IT job as system admin, my experience though not help desk, was enough to get me a decent head start. You'll have a tougher road ahead than young 20 somethings, but if IT is your passion, your age will not be a factor.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+ is a big requirement by HR in a lot of businesses. If you can grab that to understand the basics in IT, you can then add more certs around it depending on what you want to go for. If you're looking for Service Desk or Desktop Support roles, go for a few Windows certs i.e Windows 10. If you prefer working with Servers go for the Server 2016 certs. You can also add a couple of network certs to support your knowledge or even go for a Security role.

100% agree about A+

A+ is really a big deal in some HR departments. I have a friend who is an system engineer III for a large privately held company and his only certification is A+. It's undervalued by a lot......
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    IT is my life... icon_wink.gif By the way, it is never too late to do anything.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can only echo what others have said, you are not too old and it is not too late. If you want it bad enough, you will succeed.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • JamesBarkerJamesBarker Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never to old or young mate, 33 is nothing, get your A+ and it will open doors, it did for me.
  • yourtechcareeryourtechcareer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not too late at all. The tech industry is rife with opportunities. I started in IT in my mid-thirties with very little experience in IT and became a Director of IT with in 5 years of my first job. Get certs, go to industry meetings and network, be good at what you do.
  • NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Might not mean much, but I'm just getting started at 26. I also wasted my early 20s on a BA at a crappy university that didn't even offer a networking or IT security field or concentration. Even more so, my mom was the first one who pointed out that she could see me excelling in a computer or engineering field back way back when I was 15-17 years old lol (used to do lots tinkering with computers and was the 'computer person' in my family). And yet, here I am.

But yeah, the IT field has way too many 'unfilled and high-in-demand positions' to be picky about crap like age.....
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At 33 years old you still have a 30 year career ahead of you. You have to start small but that is plenty of time to explore and succeed in a new career.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    33 years old is not too late. Start to learning and good luck!
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never too late, My boss has BA in English, and he started in IT lately.