Are the CompTIA Cybersecurity Certifications worth getting?

rakenlegacyrakenlegacy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

So I was wondering. Are the CompTIA Cybersecurity Certifications worth obtaining? I got the Security + on December 2017 and want to further advance in my career in terms of education and training, but I was wondering if the CompTIA CySA+ and CASP are worth persueing or should I focus on the (ISC)2, SANS and/or Ethical Hacker Certifications? I want to hear your advice on this is possible and thank you in advance.

Comments

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have three cert's basically useless so far but I think I'm just not in the right location. I have even tried reaching out to local tech companies just to get some info on what the local market is demanding and people just basically have a crappy attitude.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

So I was wondering. Are the CompTIA Cybersecurity Certifications worth obtaining? I got the Security + on December 2017 and want to further advance in my career in terms of education and training, but I was wondering if the CompTIA CySA+ and CASP are worth persueing or should I focus on the (ISC)2, SANS and/or Ethical Hacker Certifications? I want to hear your advice on this is possible and thank you in advance.

Definitely worth it if you are planning to work for the United States federal government. Many of those jobs require at least Security+. Some even CASP.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It kinda depends on where your at in your career. Do you have the required experience for something like Isaca or ISC2 ? Do you have the budget for Sans? if you said yes to one of those then I would go with one of those but if your in your first 1-3 years Comptia is a good option
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sec+ for the IAT 2 check in the box. So far, the rest have no real ROI unless you’re applying for a DoD technician position.

Sad too. The quality of their Cybersecurity cert exams have gone up (CASP, CSA and Pen+).
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CSA (or CySA now I guess) is CSSP approved. It's essentially occupying the same space the CEH did. Trust me, I've been watching this because after reading all about the CEH and everyone's experiences with it, I absolutely refused to get it. But as of last week, I've been studying CSA because of the updated 8570 chart. :D
    Sec+ for the IAT 2 check in the box. So far, the rest have no real ROI unless you’re applying for a DoD technician position.

Sad too. The quality of their Cybersecurity cert exams have gone up (CASP, CSA and Pen+).
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Such a loaded question....

Where do you live? How much experience do you have right now? What kind of job do you have...and what do you want?

If you want a blanket answer where money is not an issue, max out on SANS/GIAC. The answer to the above questions could cause the answer to change slightly though.
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I believe long term there is going to be great value in them. Right now in the immediate time frame not so much. People just don't know what the certs are. Most of these like CySA just came out of beta. I am seeing CASP start to pop up on job requirements on and off right next to CISSP. I have trouble explaining to my employer they should invest in us going to training for Comptia Exams. Everyone keeps pushing SANS which tears into a training budget and only one or two get the training while the others have to sit and wait till their turn comes around. I got the CySA at beta and feel it will be a great cert for me long term. I also have Sec+ and others which all benefit. Also what is surprising me is that now I have Cloud+ with my Security certs I am getting calls from companies wanting a Cloud Security guy.