Registered for PenTest+! Who else registered?

Comments

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    _nessie_ wrote: »
    I guess you only have access to the beta exams if you have obtained a Comptia cert before?
    no
    this could be your first Comptia exam
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    So are there any benefits to taking a beta exam besides the price being so low? I'm assuming they will evaluate the exam results and determine what's a passing/failing grade. If you have a passing grade from the beta I guess you get the cert?? If you fail do they give you a discount on the official exam? Will CompTIA then adjust/change their official exam based on what the outcome of this is? I'm just curious how this works.

I have taken a few beta exams from CompTIA. I just see it as a fun, cheap way to gauge my skills. No study guides available, so I just go for it and roll the dice. If you pass, you are certified. If not, you decide if you want to go after that cert later.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just back from exam.
    Its hard but doable.
    I wont pass as I did not study at all. One month of study should be enough.
    Lot of sims, code examples and log extracts. Very little theory.
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    There is nothing in the current PentTest+ objectives that refers to log files or interpreting logged events. The output of pentest tools would be the closest match. It may be that this beta exam is not a good representation of the PenTest+ objectives as currently published, but instead is more of focus group testing of specific types of exam items to determine which are best to include on the initial released of the PenTest+ exam.

For those looking for PenTest+ study material: http://www.pentest-standard.org/index.php/Main_Page
  • ELSADDIQELSADDIQ Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just signed up, but pushed it out to April. If you guys could keep us updated as you take the exam on what study materials you believe what be most beneficial that would be great. I'm currently using CEH books. Thanks and good luck to all.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    meni0n wrote: »

From listing of tools, the objectives seem comprehensive and up to date. Have signed up for this in March. FWIW, I was asked to do JTA (Job Task Analysis) for CPT+ last September.
  • waffle conewaffle cone Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,
    I wish to register for the CompTIA Pentest Beta exam, but I have a doubt. Once I attend and pass the Beta exam, will I be considered as a successful candidate and get original certification/CPT+ Certified in future OR will I be given a Beta Certified/Certification OR do I have to take the exam again once it is comes out as a full certification.
    Thankyou Guys.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Signed up and scheduled for April 7th.

@Wafflecone

Beta exams do not inform you of pass/fail when you complete them, they thank you for your participation and inform you that you will be notified at a later date of your status regarding this exam. Once they decide the passing scores and filter out any questions which were problematic/issues. They score all the exams and set the passing score cut off, and then notify all participants if they passed/failed based on the threshold they set. If you recieve a notice of a passing exam you will become fully certified for the CompTIA PenTest+, and assuming you keep up with any CE requirements, you'll never need to worry about it again.
  • waffle conewaffle cone Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thankyou verymuch for clearing my doubt HellScream.
  • backtothegrindbacktothegrind Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    About to register now... I'm just finishing up with OSCP so it should be interesting to see how Comptia did with this...
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My son and I are both registered to take it on the 28th. I don't think I will pass this one, but it's only $50, so worth it for an early peak to see the format and content of the exam so I can focus my studies to take it for real sometime later.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just sat for the Pentest+ and it is a brutal exam if you don't know a lot of coding. Echoing what others have said it is tool heavy and the output of those tools. I have done Pentesting in the past but the way they used some of the tools and the way I used them varied. Read up folks read up on common pentesting tools
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so I've seen lots of people saying to know coding.

I've done stuff like .NET coding before as a job, and I'm doing a pretty good bit of powershell scripting.

Are these the kind of coding your talking about? or just coding in general like you might use in a pentest, or.... ?

As I study up before I sit, definitely planning to refresh on common pentest tools.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard, Bash, Ruby, and Python...
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Section 4.4 Given a scenario, analyze a basic script (limited to Bash, Python, Ruby, and PowerShell).

1. Logic
    - Looping
    - Flow control

2. I/O
    - File vs. terminal vs. network

3. Substitutions

4. Variables

5. Common operations
    -String operations
    -Comparisons

6. Error handling

7. Arrays

8. Encoding/decoding
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Also know the structure and functional components of programs in all four of those languages. Realize how scripting languages differ from pure programming languages. Understand some of the common "best practices" of writing in all four langs too. It may all come in handy.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It may all come in handy.

Understatement. :)
  • bhuvanesh2016bhuvanesh2016 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where can i find the CompTIA Pentest+ pdf materials (Official)

or anything covers the complete contents of VA/PT!
    On the CompTIA web site under PenTest+
    Anyone used the Mobile Tool under the PenTest+ 4.0 Penetration Testing Tools objectives called Androzer? Cannot find anything on Kali OR the internets about it...please and thank you.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Drozer (formerly Mercury)
    https://labs.mwrinfosecurity.com/tools/drozer/
    Comprehensive security and attack framework for Android.
    Drozer helps to provide confidence that Android apps and devices being developed by, or deployed across, your organisation do not pose an unacceptable level of risk. By allowing you to interact with the Dalvik VM, other apps’ IPC endpoints and the underlying OS.
    Drozer provides tools to help you use and share public exploits for Android. For remote exploits, it can generate shellcode to help you to deploy the drozer Agent as a remote administrator tool, with maximum leverage on the device.
    Ahhh, they were trying to fool the script kiddies, LOL. Thank you!
    Good luck with PenTest+ and CCNA Cyber Ops! CCNA Cyber Ops classes (especially the labs) helped me keep my head in the game for that PenTest+. Enjoyable!
  • LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I opened my email and saw that CompTIA sent me a "congrats on your new cert message". I was thinking Holy Crap. I passed Pentest+!. But nahhh....they just updated CSA+ to CySA+ and wanted to send me the new cert with the name change.
    You got me CompTIA! crash.gif
    I was expecting that this summer. Glad to hear they finished it early!
  • aliasilyasaliasilyas Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do you know it was the update on the certification?
    I got an email today as well.
    I also have CySA+ certification, but there is no indication in the portal that the certificate has been updated. But it's also no reference to the PenTest+ icon_sad.gif
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No email from CompTIA, no message in the CompTIA portal, but I see now that the pdf version of the certificate now shows CySA+, where it showed CSA+ only a few days ago. Perhaps no messages because I haven't ordered a print version.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

3hrs away - not really ready for this beta exam, but I will continue going through the objectives & lab - that way when the real exam is released I will be prepared to take it again. Don't really have any expectations if I am going to pass or not.

Will definitely will need a drink after this test! LOL
  • LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aliasilyas wrote: »
    How do you know it was the update on the certification?
    I got an email today as well.
    I also have CySA+ certification, but there is no indication in the portal that the certificate has been updated. But it's also no reference to the PenTest+ icon_sad.gif

Under the Fulfillment tab it had a new entry for CySA+ dated this week. Also, the PDF cert was updated.
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing that I like about the Betas is that the financial outlay isn't so large. I'm still what I would consider poor, so saving up a few hundred $$ takes me like 3 pay periods

but these $50 betas I can afford to lay out in one period. So I'm not as stressed over the cost and passing so so hardcore.
    Counter that with the fact that there aren't yet practice tests that I can take because it's only the Beta, but I still feel somewhat better about wasting the $50 if I fail, and if so then I've got a window into the test for next time and areas to bone up on.