Cyber Security Work Hours/Life Balance

digitalcreepshowdigitalcreepshow Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hello all. I have an offshoot question for the peeps currently in the Cyber Security field. I am getting ready to start my own journey into this industry and have an odd question. What is the work/life balance in Cyber positions? I know this is a very broad question and depends on a lot of factors, but in your experience working or job hunting, how would you say the work-time off work ratio is? I mainly ask because I see tons of Cyber jobs posted for graveyard positions (24/7 SOC positions). To me, this seems like it would make this profession difficult on those with family or other life commitments. Now, I have also seen many positions that require nothing of the sort. In your experience, would you guess that more job postings say "you work graveyard" or do more postings say "normal hours". Before anyone starts preaching about finding a different career path or whatever, please know that I ask simply because I do not know logistically what to expect out of these positions once I am qualified to even apply. A little background on me: I am getting ready to start the BSCIA program at WGU. I currently work in the IT field as a Systems Analyst and will have plenty of job experience coupled with a degree and certifications once I graduate. I guess I am just wondering what I COULD expect after graduation in terms of the types of jobs and what those are like. I am told that I pretty much have to accept the fact I will work graveyard shifts/late at night. Is this true? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Cheers![/FONT]

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't believe there is any more or less of a night shift demand for cyber security work when compared with other IT type work.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This is word for word the exact same post you did before...why did you not just bump the old thread?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can expect to work the type of jobs YOU decide to work. Late shifts in cyber are usually SOC type jobs.

Other professions have similiar shifts, doctors, surgeons, construction workers etc. Usually theres also a bit more money involved in those late shift roles.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with everyone else, if you pick 24/7 support shift work, then you get shift work hours. Security isn't only SOC, isn't only pentesting, etc. With that said, like other areas of IT, if not even more, if there is a problem or a breach that affects you, you're on. This might not be a concern but also be aware you'll likely spend as much, if not a lot more, time than most other specialties trying to keep up on new developments and security related news. If you don't keep up on what's going on in that space you're going to have a hard time.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    [FONT=&amp]I am getting ready to start my own journey into this industry and have an odd question. What is the work/life balance in Cyber positions? I know this is a very broad question and depends on a lot of factors, but in your experience working or job hunting, how would you say the work-time off work ratio is? I mainly ask because I see tons of Cyber jobs posted for graveyard positions (24/7 SOC positions). To me, this seems like it would make this profession difficult on those with family or other life commitments. [/FONT]

Since Grave yard shifts are the most undesirable (although some people like them) this is were your seeing the most job openings, when a position opens on day shift, I would expect internal employees get the first shot at it, so this is why you do not see as many positing for these day shift positions, they are filled before posting them to the general public. It's pretty much a universal thing when starting out in any career, you have to put your time in to get the better shifts, days off, higher salary, more interesting work, etc. So I would expect things are going to suck for you (unless of course you enjoy grave shift) for a couple years till you get the chance to move to a normal shift, then on to a non-shift position.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Agree with everyone else, if you pick 24/7 support shift work, then you get shift work hours.

True, but for an entry level position, this is the easiest to get your first job. They will be willing to over look you lack of experience, the few certifications you have or the fact you don't hold a college degree. I really had to tough time getting into IT, because I wasn't going to accept a position less then a director, so I didn't have experience, certifications, or a fancy college education, I knew what I wanted and I wasn't going to settle for less! Eventually reality curved my career ambitions, and I settle for a slightly lower position (computer operator on Grave shift, two years of non stop fun).

On a serious note, the ideal career progression for someone getting it IT security with limited Education/Certifications/Experience would be SOC grave shift work, SOC day shift work, IT Security 9-5 job. You of course can skip to the nice 9-5 job with the right education, and/or Certifications and a little luck. I was able to make the transition from regular IT to Cyber Security IT 9 to 5 position, but I did have 20 years IT experience, did two years grave shift and another 6 years swing shift work.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.