CIPP/E Advice

senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited July 2019 in IAPP
Hi - newbie here, with a request for assistance!

Unfortunately, I failed a resit of the above on Friday. My scores across the 3 Domain's were 83/59/83 and a score of 274.

I'm trying to find out how close I was, 1, 2, more questions? Obviously domain 2 is what has done me. But I'm a bit stumped.

There were a few ambiguous questions that threw me as well but to be that close is sickening.

Any thoughts/help appreciated? I passed the CIPM back in July and am desperate to get through the CIPP/E but the thought of paying out for a second resit (work sponsored the first one) due to the cost is holding me back - but I keep thinking I must have been so close to passing?

Comments

• senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also - is there a minimum score you need to get in Domain 2? A colleague of mine passed CIPP/E with a score of 33% in Domain 1, but she did get 71% in 2 (and 83 in 3)
    Managed to get an answer from the IAPP to my questions

Basically I was 4 off passing in Domain 2. I could have scored 100% in 1 & 3 but still failed as only scored 34 out of 57 in Domain 2. At least I know now and need to focus on getting more right in that domain
  • epl79epl79 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, Is the waiting period for the 2nd resit an additional month?
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yes it was a month for the 2nd resit.

Delighted to say I took it today and passed! I was going to reschedule earlier in the week but luckily have been able to cram heavily as the week has gone on.

The crazy thing is though - I only scored 16% in domain 1 (from 83% last time!) but still passed. This seems odd and a very low score where you'd expect a minimum was needed. Not complaining though. I did fear this though - study section 2 but forget the other stuff

As it was I scored 16/82/66 and got through
  • riverstyxriverstyx Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing, senwar, CIPP/E! Ha!

I sat the exam in French (because I speak enough to get by and it was only $100!) about 10 days ago and am awaiting my results. I wasn't aware of the three domains (I'd studied based on the 18 sub-domains), but, given that Domain #2 is "European Data Protection Law and Regulation," which is, arguably, the one that really matters, I suppose it makes sense that they'd be sticklers for that one.

Congratulations once again--with both the CIPP/E and the CIPM, you're probably in a pretty good position to take on some DPO work!

By the way, how was the CIPM? How did you prepare for it?
    In case anyone's curious, I ended up passing--barely. (There was not a lot of daylight between my score and the minimum passing score!)

I prepared by taking the IAPP online course, reviewing its transcripts, watching and almost memorizing Phil Lee's GDPR video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgZ57BTkFQ), and skimming through the IAPP textbook.

(Next up is the CIPP/US...)
  • c.iacobescuc.iacobescu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for all these info. I would have one additional question - are the exam questions similar in difficulty as the ones of the sample questions provided on the IAPP website? Or are they more difficult? Thanks a lot!
  • sunk318sunk318 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    riverstyx wrote: »
    In case anyone's curious, I ended up passing--barely. (There was not a lot of daylight between my score and the minimum passing score!)

I prepared by taking the IAPP online course, reviewing its transcripts, watching and almost memorizing Phil Lee's GDPR video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxgZ57BTkFQ), and skimming through the IAPP textbook.

(Next up is the CIPP/US...)

Congrats! I passed the CIPP/US couple months back, and now I feel that I need CIPP/E.

Was the test heavily tested on GDPR? I won't be able to take the online training as the price is steep and have no sponsorship. How would you advise preparing for one?

Thanks!
    Congratulations on passing the CIPP/US! (It looks to me to be more challenging than the CIPP/E.)

The CIPP/E focuses almost entirely on the GDPR. There's a bit about the EU institutions (Commission, Council, Parliament, etc.) and some of the history of the EU and data privacy there (Treaty of Rome, Treaty of Lisbon, Data Privacy Directive, etc.), but the vast majority is on the GDPR.

If I couldn't take the online training, I'd probably dig into the textbook pretty hard. (It's much cheaper than the whole course!) Also, it wouldn't hurt to read and have pretty good familiarity with the first 30 or so articles of the GDPR; as I recall, lots of questions came from there. Of course, as I mentioned, Phil Lee's video is a great place to start.

Good luck! When are you planning to take the CIPP/E?
  • lizette1121622lizette1121622 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the CIPP/US exam yesterday and am planning to take the CIPP/E exam in a month. Thanks for sharing the resources that you used. It looks like there is alot of information to grasp in comparison to the CIPP/US Exam.
    It's my pleasure! I wish you every success!
  • sunk318sunk318 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's my pleasure! I wish you every success!

Hey, would you happen to have an outline that you used to study for the material?
  • K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, riverstyx!
    I'm sorry, but I didn't prepare an outline. I did a lot of reviewing of the online course's materials, but I didn't put an outline together. (I'd share it if I had one, though!)
  • JDL212JDL212 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All, for anyone who has recently passed the CIPP/E, can you tell me how much time you put into studying and how you passed? I'm using the official videos and books. Just curious to hear what strategies have worked for others. Also, did you find that the study materials adequately covered the subjects tested or would you recommend using any additional resources? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • schipholschiphol Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just purchased the official CIPP/E book and will use that and the recommended Phil Lee video to begin my studies. I recently met someone well-connected in the field who said that DPO and Privacy Consultant positions are going to be hot this year and in the next couple of years as companies get their bearings with GDPR compliance. I aim to put together another outline as I go along. If anyone should happen to have a CIPP/E study document already then a copy would be greatly appreciated.
  • sec_widesec_wide Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking the CIPP/E next month. Taking the online course and reading the book. Thanks for the Phil Lee video references!
    Hello Schiphol,

Your CIPP/US Outline came in handy. I am currently studying for the CIPP/E exam. I am pacing myself but there seems to be a lot of information to cover. I intend to create a short outline once am done to remember key points from each chapter. When do you intend to take the exam?
    Hello Schiphol,Your CIPP/US Outline came in handy. I am currently studying for the CIPP/E exam. I am pacing myself but there seems to be a lot of information to cover. I intend to create a short outline once am done to remember key points from each chapter. When do you intend to take the exam?
    Glad to hear it!I am pacing myself as well. I haven't yet booked the exam date, but I'm aiming for mid to late summer. The recommended Phil Lee video was a good start and provided the motivation I needed to dive into the official text.
    Congratulations on passing, senwar, CIPP/E! Ha!

I sat the exam in French (because I speak enough to get by and it was only $100!) about 10 days ago and am awaiting my results. I wasn't aware of the three domains (I'd studied based on the 18 sub-domains), but, given that Domain #2 is "European Data Protection Law and Regulation," which is, arguably, the one that really matters, I suppose it makes sense that they'd be sticklers for that one.

Congratulations once again--with both the CIPP/E and the CIPM, you're probably in a pretty good position to take on some DPO work!

By the way, how was the CIPM? How did you prepare for it?

Hi riverstyx - apologies for the late reply and thanks for your comments.

For the CIPM I used the books from the IAPP course (privacy programme management and privacy foundation) and to be honest, have a lot of background knowledge on programme management as it is in other areas. I do feel that 90% of the theory is the same whether security, continuity or programme so this helped me (I've implemented continuity programmes before).

Looking back I think I was lucky in a way as perhaps I was a little too sure of myself for the CIPM but did get through. My CIPP/E experiences has certainly changed how I'll approach future exams.

I didn't find the CIPM one hard but strangely I found the first CIPP/E exam easier - yet I failed!

I'm on the CIPT course this week so will hopefully be registering for that exam at some point in the next few months too.
    Not sure if this is helpful - but the way I studied was to genuinely record the book as an audio and split into chapters.

Its time consuming but I find I take it in more if I'm reading aloud and recording. I then create MP3's and listen back to key topics.

Was very helpful - especially when I realised which were the key domains for revision.
  • Lulu2018Lulu2018 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everybody,

I have decided to write something about my experience with taking the CIPP/E Exam, because this has been one of the few places where I found useful information about it. I have come to the conclusion that this exam is hard to pass, in part, due to the fact that there is little information about it and limited opportunities to test your knowledge and know what to expect.

First of all, I am a lawyer and have experience with taking the bar exam (but 10 years have passed :)) and had limited interaction (if any) with data protection. I have studied based on the GDPR text, the IAPP textbook (it has been recently updated, but mine is the previous version) and WPA29 opinions (mainly the opinions issued in relation to the GDPR). I did not take the online training.

First of all, I found the exam very difficult and I did take 140 minutes out of the 150. Funny enough, I had a good score: 100/85/75. I recommend taking the exam seriously and although the subject matter can be attractive and even fun, there is a lot of ground to cover. It is important to "memorise" the first 50 articles of the GDPR and make diagrams of others (especially regarding procedures between the supervisory authorities) and also of the interaction between the different articles.

I purchased the 30 sample questions, but I can say without a doubt that they are a lot easier than the actual exam questions. Some of them are really superficial and not representative. I don't regret buying them, because it gave an idea of the wording, but do not get fooled by their accessibility. Most of the exam questions are counting on lack of attention to details (so very clear knowledge about the legal text and diagrams help). There are about 10 exercises, with 4 questions each, which take time to go through carefully. However, even in those cases, many clues are in the question itself.

I was outraged by one question which dealt with history of the UK supervisory authority and created a clear advantage for those professionals with experience in the UK. The information was not in the textbook and I did not feel it tested any practical knowledge.

I am finally going to get some sleep now :). I hope you find this useful and good luck!
    schiphol wrote: »
    I just purchased the official CIPP/E book and will use that and the recommended Phil Lee video to begin my studies. I recently met someone well-connected in the field who said that DPO and Privacy Consultant positions are going to be hot this year and in the next couple of years as companies get their bearings with GDPR compliance. I aim to put together another outline as I go along. If anyone should happen to have a CIPP/E study document already then a copy would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Schipol,

I have a document ready but it is 98 pages and I think it covers nearly everything. There is some repetition and some extra info that should be deleted so am gonna take another look at the document next week. I am happy to share the document with you.:)
    Lulu2018 wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I have decided to write something about my experience with taking the CIPP/E Exam, because this has been one of the few places where I found useful information about it. I have come to the conclusion that this exam is hard to pass, in part, due to the fact that there is little information about it and limited opportunities to test your knowledge and know what to expect.

First of all, I am a lawyer and have experience with taking the bar exam (but 10 years have passed :)) and had limited interaction (if any) with data protection. I have studied based on the GDPR text, the IAPP textbook (it has been recently updated, but mine is the previous version) and WPA29 opinions (mainly the opinions issued in relation to the GDPR). I did not take the online training.

First of all, I found the exam very difficult and I did take 140 minutes out of the 150. Funny enough, I had a good score: 100/85/75. I recommend taking the exam seriously and although the subject matter can be attractive and even fun, there is a lot of ground to cover. It is important to "memorise" the first 50 articles of the GDPR and make diagrams of others (especially regarding procedures between the supervisory authorities) and also of the interaction between the different articles.

I purchased the 30 sample questions, but I can say without a doubt that they are a lot easier than the actual exam questions. Some of them are really superficial and not representative. I don't regret buying them, because it gave an idea of the wording, but do not get fooled by their accessibility. Most of the exam questions are counting on lack of attention to details (so very clear knowledge about the legal text and diagrams help). There are about 10 exercises, with 4 questions each, which take time to go through carefully. However, even in those cases, many clues are in the question itself.

I was outraged by one question which dealt with history of the UK supervisory authority and created a clear advantage for those professionals with experience in the UK. The information was not in the textbook and I did not feel it tested any practical knowledge.

I am finally going to get some sleep now :). I hope you find this useful and good luck!

Thanks for the information! I have read the entire book and created an outline that is 98 pages long. I am going to review it along with the GDPR and see whether I can cut down on the info.
    lizette1121622, I would very much appreciate it! And if I can condense it in anyway then I will certainly share with you.
  • JordankalaJordankala Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Schiphol,

I have also decided to write the CIPP/E, would by any chance have some material you found helpful?
    Jordankala wrote: »
    Hi Schiphol,I have also decided to write the CIPP/E, would by any chance have some material you found helpful?
    Hey Jordankala,I'm currently using the official text. There is another user on this thread who has put together an outline; maybe try her.And for everyone else, another possible resource could be international law firms with a cybersecurity and privacy practice. They usually have blogs on their websites as well as publications available to those who ask. For example, White & Case sent me their GDPR "book" for free. I just sent them an email asking for a copy. I haven't yet taken a deep dive but it looks promising.
  • tallen67tallen67 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lizette1121622 did you ever finish the outline? Would you be willing to share it? Thanks
  • hothotheatonhothotheaton Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have a copy of the CIPP/E text "European Data Protection" that they want to sell? I just got my CIPP/US cert and I'm starting to study for the European test. Thanks!
    tallen67 wrote: »
    Hi Lizette1121622 did you ever finish the outline? Would you be willing to share it? Thanks

Lemme know whether you can access the document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5491boq5g0sg8og/Introduction%20to%20European%20Data%20Protection%20Outline.docx?dl=0