Security+ exam this week!

Sharpe21Sharpe21 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

So... My security+ exam is nearly upon me (Friday). I'm Feeling fairly confident despite not taking any practice tests yet. I have spent the past 3 weeks watching the CBTnuggets 501 course, i'm hoping to finish it today and take one of the practice tests. Does anyone have any advice for taking the Security+ 501 exam? I'm hoping it will be fairly similar to the Network+ in terms of how the questions are worded.

Thanks in advance bowing.gif

Comments

• Sharpe21Sharpe21 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately i failed the exam with 610/900. Very tough exam however it did highlight my weaker areas. Looking forward to getting stuck into the content again to focus on my weaker areas. It's a shame CompTIA don't provide a more in depth "exam report", i really like how the Microsoft ones breakdown each objective and provide you with a graph. However, with that being said i do know in my mind which areas I'm weak on!
  • mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry you didn't pass this time, but it sounds like you have a great attitude and know what to focus on. Good luck on your next outing.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Buy Darril Gibson's book and online resources! Will help a TON!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Thanks for the recommendation! I have bought Darril Gibsons 501 book and i'm going to make a start on it this weekend. In addition to Darrils book i'm also going to read the sybex study guide and watch a couple of pluralsight videos.
    Fingers crossed i can be ready for the exam within the next couple of weeks icon_cheers.gif
  • shafin365shafin365 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I aslo failed this week , sy0-501 exam. Got 700. But I must say it is extremely difficult exam. Not only study materials are enough. You need experience.

I will take another chance next month.

My advise is:

Study each and every exam objective and each and every terms.

In exam you will find everything in short form, like MTBF and MTTR. If you dont study everything very well you will be confused in the exam.

Some linux, programing and networking knowledge is also necessary.

Practice exam is not that much helpful.

Darril Gibson's book is good, but remember study each and every term without any confusion and hesitation. That's the only key to pass the exam.
  • Andres BoteroAndres Botero Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shafin365 wrote: »
    I aslo failed this week , sy0-501 exam. Got 700. But I must say it is extremely difficult exam. Not only study materials are enough. You need experience.

I will take another chance next month.

My advise is:

Study each and every exam objective and each and every terms.

In exam you will find everything in short form, like MTBF and MTTR. If you dont study everything very well you will be confused in the exam.

Some linux, programing and networking knowledge is also necessary.

Practice exam is not that much helpful.

Darril Gibson's book is good, but remember study each and every term without any confusion and hesitation. That's the only key to pass the exam.

Hi!

I am sorry for your failed, but I want to ask:

Did get the new SY0-501 exam questions? It was said that the SY0-501 exam updated with many new questions, really???

Please give me your advise, I am going to take my SY0-501 exam next month.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • mrobles1mrobles1 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the SY0-401 this morning & barely passed with a 767. Disappointed, since I never just pass, but while taking the test, I realized that it assumes you have a certain body of knowledge & experience beyond just what's in the book (I used Darril Gibson's Full Access & his book). As an adult with ADHD, I work in a very challenging environment that my peers without ADHD struggle with. By the time I get home from work, I'm on the last hour of the last dose of meds I'm allowed to take & my job really fries me, so I really struggled with remembering things. For me it's not necessarily a question of understanding something, its a question of remembering what I'm supposed to understand, & I have alot of trouble putting things together in my head & relating different things that should relate to one another just from reading a bunch of concepts. I do very well in live, in person, instructor led courses where they really TEACH, but my only instructor resource was the live online class provided through my union, which really sucked. All they do is is show slides for each chapter that parrots whats in the book, they don't provide any useful charts or **** sheets. Back when I took my Net Plus test, my instructor gave us so many useful handouts & helped put everything together. I scored an 860 on that exam. I got a 97 on the MTA 98-366 exam last year. I don't JUST PASS. but learning this way puts the entire burden on the student to mentally process information that to me, is all over the place as far as how it's presented. I felt sick to my stomach by the end of the exam & I thought I failed. I was thankful & aggravated at the same time that I only barely passed. But passing is passing, I guess. By the way, I had very few performance based questions & they were basic drag and drop.
    Congrats, mrobles1! I've always prided myself on acing cert tests, but from everything I've read, I'll be happy if I pass by one point here.
    Booked the exam again for Friday 13th April icon_rolleyes.gif fingers crossed after i have finished reading Darril Gibsons book along with reviewing all of my other material i can pass! icon_study.gif
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sharpe21 wrote: »
    Booked the exam again for Friday 13th April icon_rolleyes.gif fingers crossed after i have finished reading Darril Gibsons book along with reviewing all of my other material i can pass! icon_study.gif

Best of luck! I'll be following suit for an end of April exam myself. What are areas you felt you needed to focus on the most while you're studying for this exam?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
    My weaker areas are PKI, anything to do with wireless and authentication protocols. Like one of the other guys stated experience goes a long way with any of these exams. Unfortunately i do not have much experience on the above technologies. With the CompTIA exams you need to really learn the content and how you would implement it in a real life scenario to stand any chance in the exam.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you guys keep paying for the certifications than failing then re-paying? I would guess that would cost a lot.
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sharpe21 wrote: »

Did you buy the Security+ package that comes with a FREE retake? I usually do.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
    I'm on an Apprenticeship program and i get 2 free exam vouchers per exam. This is the last exam i need to pass before i finish my Apprenticeship icon_lol.gif
    Cram is crap. use Darril Gibson's book and online resources.
    Security+ round 2 tomorrow morning! I feel excited,nervous and confident at the same time. Really hoping i pass this timeicon_cheers.gif
    Finally passed the exam with 773/900. very happy to get this one out the way with! icon_lol.gif
    Congrats!!!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Exam Cram books are really nice :P.
    I used back in time for A+ and Network+
    Cram is crap. use Darril Gibson's book and online resources.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • tallmaktallmak Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam! How was your experience the second time around? Did you feel more comfortable answering the questions?
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • WoolnutWoolnut Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the Network+ September 2017 and was intending to take the Security+ just a few months after... Well here i am over 6 months later with the exam booked finally for two weeks time icon_rolleyes.gif (not overly happy with myself on the wasted time)

I am using TotalSem / Mike Meyers videos and the book, along with Professor Messer's Study Guide so i am hoping this will be enough for me to be up to speed to pass :D, i am starting a new job next month as a Junior IS Analyst and i think it would be nice to get this out of the way before i start...

Is there anyone here who has done the Network+ and Security+ and would be willing to share what they thought of the 401? The Network+ was the first CompTIA exam i have taken and i really do not know what to expect in the Security+; lot's are saying that the Sec+ is a lot more "wordy" in comparison? I am not 100% convinced that i will pass the exam (probably more like 70%) as i feel i have a fair few gaps in my knowledge... I have been using the CompTIA CertMaster program and the questions seem a little easy, i am able to guess most of the answers that i don't 100% know?!

Congrats to everyone who has passed recently icon_cheers.gif