Passed GPEN yesterday

brusellbrusell Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,
yesterday I passed via self-study GPEN (90%).
I'm just now thinking what to do next, I was considering GCIH but more logical would sounds for me OCSP as continual step after GPEN.
Is that reasonable, respectively how is GCIH accepted and valuable on the market?

Regards,
Stan

[h=3][/h]

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    OSCP makes more sense after GPEN.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • brusellbrusell Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    OSCP makes more sense after GPEN.
    Hello, also for me but I wanted to check with somebody more experienced.
    Was'n sure if makes sense invest into GCIH since price is really high (as in case of each SANS exam) and I'm sponsoring it by myself.
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    I would say you will get more value out of OSCP. If you want to do more of the incident response or forensics side of things then GCFA may be a better choice. But GPEN will transition very well into OSCP.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and great score, especially considering you did self-study!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • j1mggj1mgg Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would see gcih as a step back from gpen.

I would someone to do gcih before gpen, but hopefully someone more experience will confirm, or not.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    brusell wrote: »
    Was'n sure if makes sense invest into GCIH since price is really high (as in case of each SANS exam) and I'm sponsoring it by myself.

OSCP makes more sense for price as well.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To answer your question about how accepted the GCIH is, when looking at Linkedin and Indeed...GCIH is listed more than double the amount of times OSCP is listed.

So you have to really think if you're wanting to reach more job requirements (go with the GCIH) or are you wanting to push yourself and get one of the most respected security certifcations (OSCP...even though it isn't listed as much as the GCIH, a lot of companies still ask for it)
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My answer would really depend on what your goal is. If your strictly interested in Red team Penetration testing career, then the OSCP is the obvious choice, cost effective as well. If your looking for get into a more a purple team role, then the GCIH is what you want. Using a very unscientific research method of typing in the certification name on Indeed, for all of the United States, the GPEN gets 343 hits, OSCP 470 hits and GCIH 1099 job hits. The GCIH is the most desirable certification by far in my opinion, but it's also a very general certification, doesn't get too deep in PEN testing and not too deep in Incident response.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I passed GPEN two days ago...did you notice how many certs we have in common icon_surprised.gif are you me?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE