Looking for ultrabook recommendation

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I am curious if anyone has bought an ultrabook recently. I find myself travelling more than usual and needing something fairly light to carry in addition to my work-issued laptop.

I am looking for something with these specs:
- i5 or i7
- at least 8GB RAM
- at least 256GB HD
- around 2.5 lbs.
- Win 10
- no interest in touch anything

So far I'm looking at HP Spectre, Dell XPS 13, Asus Zenbook, and Lenovo Carbon X1. If you have any good or bad experiences let's hear them.

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a Lenovo 900 and it's been stellar. Just bought a USB-C monitor (power and video through USB) to pair it with. I Would assume the most current version is also worth looking at.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What are you going to do with it (Other than browse tech exams? :) ) We use the XPS's here and I hear good things. I have a Precision that I'm fond of but it's definitely not ultra light weight.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On the XPS13 the webcam is terrible, though Linux support is there in case you get fed up with Microsoft.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Primary use is look for ****.. I mean... MS Office type work, spinning the occasional VM. Nothing major.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Primary use is look for ****.. I mean... MS Office type work, spinning the occasional VM. Nothing major.

You no get latest **** with this model. Not eligible to browse ****, or get to *********.

(In all seriousness, the only beef I have with ultrabooks is the lackluster keyboards/touchpads if you are going to do a lot of typing/browsing.)

If you want a swaggy display and are willing to pay a little more then this is a decent price:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11417679-dell-xps-13-9360-xps9360-7326slv-pus-laptop-999

If it's just a toy, then:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11420675-hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-laptop-ryzen-5-2500u-15-6-1080p-ips-touchscreen-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-vega-8-win-10-599-99-free-shipping-best-buy
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure if Microsoft's Surface Book is considered an ultrabook but that is the laptop I decided to get in a couple of weeks.

The first time I tried the first gen Surface Book i wasn't too enthusiastic about it but that was probably because I kept hearing about the screen or GPU issues.

I went to a Microsoft store last weekend and I fell in love with it now though. Was going to get a Macbook Pro but I can't get excited about current lineup of Apple laptops. The Surface Book will replace my iPad and my aging desktop at home.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    tpatt, that new Surface Book is the hotness. I would get one right now if I didn't have an amazing SP4.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Primary use is look for ****..

I knew it! Looking at CEH **** is actually your guilty pleasure...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh ya, I actually had something to contribute. I rock an Asus Zenbook UX303UB that has served me well through multiple SANS courses.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was looking at Dell XPS, Lenovo X1 Carbon, and Razer Blade Stealth last year, and ended up buying a Macbook Pro 13". Can't beat the screen, trackpad, and native Unix.

That said, I mainly work with Linux, with personal projects in Python, and occasionally help people with Java based projects, so Windows is kind of useless to me. Running Linux as your main OS screws your battery life, takes it out back, and shoots it, and you can't run any nice software since it's only available for Windows or Mac.

I know a few people with Zenbooks, and I wouldn't buy one. The trackpad is pretty atrocious to the point of being barely usable.

I'm also extra impressed with my MBP now... Spilled beer on it last week and thought it was toast after it died literally as I was giving it first aid with paper towels.

... then plugged it in yesterday for one final try before taking it into a store and preparing to shell out my kidney for repairs. Voila! It works like a charm, except for some keys being a little sticky.
    LeBroke wrote: »
    Was looking at Dell XPS, Lenovo X1 Carbon, and Razer Blade Stealth last year, and ended up buying a Macbook Pro 13". Can't beat the screen, trackpad, and native Unix.

That said, I mainly work with Linux, with personal projects in Python, and occasionally help people with Java based projects, so Windows is kind of useless to me. Running Linux as your main OS screws your battery life, takes it out back, and shoots it, and you can't run any nice software since it's only available for Windows or Mac.

I know a few people with Zenbooks, and I wouldn't buy one. The trackpad is pretty atrocious to the point of being barely usable.

I'm also extra impressed with my MBP now... Spilled beer on it last week and thought it was toast after it died literally as I was giving it first aid with paper towels.

... then plugged it in yesterday for one final try before taking it into a store and preparing to shell out my kidney for repairs. Voila! It works like a charm, except for some keys being a little sticky.

I too think the MBP is the best overall laptop. I'm actually going to pick up a 13" to use just for dev stuff. I've tried to do things with virtualization on my primary MBP 15" but I decided to just keep Windows and MacOS separate and picked up an SP4. I love the SP4. It's an amazing device.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Thanks for the feedback. I hate Macs as much as I hate EC Council so that's why I didn’t even mention it. I think I’m going with the new XPS 13.
    XPS13 is solid. I got some good hands on time with one at a store and if I didn't go with a SP4 or SB, the XPS would have been my choice.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good call. We had them at my old company for non-tech people and they are pretty nice.