Options

Can i pass Security+ 501 without taking additional course ?

TasteTaste Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a few more questions. How much time i would need to prepare for Security + 501 ? and what book is the best for it ? I took Network+ 5 days ago ( prepared for it roughly 1 month and few days ) and now im relaxing a bit and planning to start reading for Security+ after 7-8 days. I'm worrying olny about the practical questions.

Thank you guys in advance for your advices !!!

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    It all depends how much you have already experienced. Me? Even though I had tons of experience, I needed to take a course, plus obtain Darril Gibson's book and online resources.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    here is the problem - zero days in the industry. I wanted to start work as a security administrator or network security administator (entry postion), but for for that i need to take security +, because i haven't graduated techinacal university. I read a lot and almost all people pointing out that security+ is great certificate for begining, but the more i read, the more i got the feeling that almost all people took some kind of a course to prepare for that exam. I thought its possible to be done by preparing by myself.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    well, that could be an issue with zero days in the industry. Anyway, how well do you retain information? Have you taken any practice tests?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Taste wrote: »
    I wanted to start work as a security administrator or network security administator (entry postion)

Those don't really exist as entry level positions... I would recommend searching job ads for positions you would like to go into and see what they are asking for.

As far as getting your Sec+ and what you need to do, that is gonna depend on experience, current knowledge, and how you retain information. Really the only judge on whether you're ready to take the exam is if you understand and can explain all of the exam objectives. If you can do that with after reading a book great! If a class is what you need, do that!
  • Options
    well you are probably right ,, NetworkNewb,, that i wont be able to start working directly on one of those positions, but i will think later about that. ,, Scaredoftests,, , i haven't taken any practice tests, because i haven't started to study yet for the exam :) I think you guys misunderstood me :) My only concerns were only connected with the practical questions - is it possible to solve them only with reading the material from the books ? That's what i want it to know :)

Best Regards
  • Options
    SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Taste wrote: »
    well you are probably right ,, NetworkNewb,, that i wont be able to start working directly on one of those positions, but i will think later about that. ,, Scaredoftests,, , i haven't taken any practice tests, because i haven't started to study yet for the exam :) I think you guys misunderstood me :) My only concerns were only connected with the practical questions - is it possible to solve them only with reading the material from the books ? That's what i want it to know :)

Best Regards

As someone who is reviewing this material right now to go take this exam I will say I'm relying more on experience than book material to do the performance based questions.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”