Going Gold?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
Have any of you guys/gals taken your cert to the next level by going gold?

How was your experience?
Is it worth it, as in, does it hold more weight?

My manager told me to search for another conference to go to and I brought up my interest in going gold, so he said I can research it to see if it's something I would like to do.

Comments

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL!

Glad that was safe for work haha
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Have any of you guys/gals taken your cert to the next level by going gold?

How was your experience?
    Is it worth it, as in, does it hold more weight?

My manager told me to search for another conference to go to and I brought up my interest in going gold, so he said I can research it to see if it's something I would like to do.

I have it for 3 certs right now. You don't get a different certificate for completing it, just designation that you are SANS Gold in the respective cert. Overall, it is pretty painless if you don't mind writing. I went back and forth with my advisors on the topic and refining it.

But here is where this comes in handy: You are going to be published on the site and it is technically peer-reviewed before it is published. This is big if you are trying to push towards management (or the courts) you do have higher credibility as not only have you passed a tough test, but you also can show how you applied it to a real-world application.

Just don't expect it to be like "Okay I passed it, I want $5k raise" type stuff.
    Yeah, I was looking it up more and I think I want to go for it. It seems like it will really solidify what I learned, which is the main reason I'd be doing it.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Do the SANS Gold on your own dime and time. It's plenty cheap enough compared to the conferences. If your boss is willing to send you to a conference again ($8k+ all in), don't waste the opportunity and have him pay a few hundred bucks to turn one of your existing certs Gold. Just my opinion.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Oh yeah, conferences are no questions no matter what (unless it's one that is out of the country, then it'll be like pulling teeth a little)

We are allowed 2-3 conferences a year, and anything local is fully supported no questions asked (conferences and gatherings for infosec people)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Damn you've got the hookup man. Wish I could find an org to pay what I make now and send me to SANS conferences. Seems like it's either or, not both.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Damn you've got the hookup man. Wish I could find an org to pay what I make now and send me to SANS conferences. Seems like it's either or, not both.

I get one training a year, and it can be a SANS training, but I have to manage it like buying a house. This year I think I'm going to do MCSE.
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Yeah, I was looking it up more and I think I want to go for it. It seems like it will really solidify what I learned, which is the main reason I'd be doing it.

It is a fun experience if you're a glutton for punishment. I like it because I testify quite a bit. Having that type of stuff on my CV that I've written complex research papers that are reviewed by SANS Institute is a tip of the cap when the opposing side tries to push their expert over me. That is the main reason I've gotten mine.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In the job market, I don't think gold is worth the investment. So few HR departments even know what a GIAC is, a Gold GIAC isn't going to impress them any more. Hell it might even disqualify you, You have a Gold GCIH? Sorry the positions calls for a GCIH, when you get that let us know.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • al88al88 Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it, give back to the community, let that be your drive not only for a shiny badge on your CV.

Plus, it's a shortcut to the mighty GSE if you are planning that too ;)
    TechGromit wrote: »
    In the job market, I don't think gold is worth the investment. So few HR departments even know what a GIAC is, a Gold GIAC isn't going to impress them any more. Hell it might even disqualify you, You have a Gold GCIH? Sorry the positions calls for a GCIH, when you get that let us know.

I honestly don't know why you would think that? Most peers of mine in various private sector companies all make their Job Postings and have a say at the table with HR in relation to what certs qualify as what and help HR when it comes time to figure out compensation and other factors. HR doesn't know the difference between CISSP and Sec+.

But ya, as I said earlier, Gold won't get you a pay raise or anything other than what the cert itself would give you. It is great for CV related creds.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    .... have a say at the table with HR in relation to what certs qualify as what and help HR when it comes time to figure out compensation and other factors. HR doesn't know the difference between CISSP and Sec+.

I think your missing my point, you need to get in front of HR to inform them of these facts. If HR is looking at a resume and the job specifies a CCNA, but you only have a CCNP list on your resume, there's a fair chance your resume can end up in the garbage, most of them haven't a clue a CCNP is a higher cert than a CCNA. I would wager the same would hold true of a GCIH GOLD vs a GCIH.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I see an HR minion who is looking for a CCNA discarding someone who has a CCNP, sure. However, discarding a GCIH Gold holder when the job asks for GCIH is pushing it. At least it would pass the evil ATS.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I think your missing my point, you need to get in front of HR to inform them of these facts. If HR is looking at a resume and the job specifies a CCNA, but you only have a CCNP list on your resume, there's a fair chance your resume can end up in the garbage, most of them haven't a clue a CCNP is a higher cert than a CCNA. I would wager the same would hold true of a GCIH GOLD vs a GCIH.

To play devils advocate with you for a moment, would you really want to work at a company where your hiring manager isn't sitting in the room when these decisions are made OR prior to the decision being made? This is also why many job postings out in the wild now have a section called "Nice to Haves" where they just list out all the different certs within the track they are looking at. For instance if they want a person with pen testing experience they would probably list out every certs that GIAC lists on their roadmap (GCIH, GPEN, GMOB, GAWN, etc.). Adding the world Gold at the end of the cert, I just don't see how that would get flagged and thrown out.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I see an HR minion who is looking for a CCNA discarding someone who has a CCNP, sure. However, discarding a GCIH Gold holder when the job asks for GCIH is pushing it. At least it would pass the evil ATS.

I agree with this pretty much. You are not changing the entire acronym