Firewalls

tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
Anyone running a Sonicwall NSA 3600 or Fortinet 100D? Looking for reviews on these guys, im familiar with both firewall OS's, I prefer fortinet for some things and sonic the other. I have seen fortinets new UI and dont like it probably cause Im so used to the old one but its kind of a turn off for me. I see a lot of bad reviews for sonic online but have never had problem with them in 8 plus years.

Any of you guys running either of the FW's and like/dislike?

Comments

• Welly_59Welly_59 Member Posts: 431
    we use a bunch of fortinet but not specifically the 100d. Never used a sonicwall so cant compare
  • brunagaribrunagari Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A firewall is a network security device that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and decides whether to allow or block specific traffic based on a defined set of security rules.
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    brunagari wrote: »
    A firewall is a network security device that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and decides whether to allow or block specific traffic based on a defined set of security rules.

Very good Louis, short but pointless.

OP, do you have specific requirements or features you need? Are you looking for a full-featured UTM appliance?

From what I've read, the reviews are all over the place. However, I'm seeing a common mention of terrible Sonicwall support. With all other things being near equal, costs/recurring costs and support are a big deciding factor for me.
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    k.........
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Firewalls have been a first line of defense in network security for over 25 years. They establish a barrier between secured and controlled internal networks that can be trusted and untrusted outside networks, such as the Internet.

We are copy pasting from Cisco’s website, that’s the game right? These little things is what keeps me coming back here icon_smile.gif
  • FadakartelFadakartel Member Posts: 144
    Go Fortinet because they seem cool XD
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Sonicwall's for about 5 years at my old gig. I don't mind them and overall they seem to work alright. Their support is really horrible. I rarely ever called their support team but when I did, it was painful.

I am currently totally all in with Fortinet. I prefer their interface and features. For example, there are no additional licenses for VPN's with Fortinet. You are only limited by the hardware resources of the box. Every box can do HA with no additional license. Fortinet has made items like this super easy from a licensing and feature set perspective. Fortinet support is leaps and bounds above Sonicwall's support. In addition to that Fortinet has a CLI which is pretty nice. Sonicwall doesn't have a true CLI.

I've also found Fortinet to be better as far as providing better reporting tools out of the box. You get Forticloud where you get basic information with no additional fees or licenses. You can drill down into details from your sources on the network better than Sonicwall.

Again, I don't really have a total negative view on Sonicwall but after using Fortinet for about a year now, i much prefer them.
  • Cuse0311Cuse0311 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been running a SonicWALL NSA 2600 for the last two years where I am currently at. Based on my experience with them thus far, the support hasn't been all that horrible. I think the worst part is the wait time. One time I was on hold for roughly over an hour. Other than that, I think they are fairly simple to use. There isn't really a true CLI for them though, and to get additional features like Gateway AV or Content Filtering you have to pay for it. With Fortinet, like one poster already mentioned, you get Forticloud out of the box with no additional fees or licensing.