Certified Blockchain Expert

hxhxhxhx Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I saw this pop up on someones feed today. An organization called the Blockchain Council has created a cert called the Certified Blockchain Expert. It looks like it costs $100 for "2-3 hours of training" and a 100 question test (60% needed (2 retakes)). I'm not sure how someone can become an expert at anything in 2-3 hours.

Here is the link: https://www.blockchain-council.org/certifications/certified-blockchain-professional-expert

Comments

• cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They even got 8 different certifications, including cryptocurrency trading or smart contracts. And a membership which gives you 30% off, for a whopping $199. Now that's some idea of riding the cryptocurrency wave icon_lol.gif
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    It was only a matter of time lol. As is usually the case, expect someone to step into the cert fray and try to cash in on the latest buzzword/trend.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hxhx wrote: »
    I'm not sure how someone can become an expert at anything in 2-3 hours.

Your uncertainty doesn't make it impossible icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    3 hours of training, 60% passing score, two tries?

LEGIT expert status
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey I trade maybe I should get the trading one. ;) Just kidding......
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    3 hours of training, 60% passing score, two tries?

LEGIT expert status

They should get mystical about it and not give you your actual score, just a pass or fail status. Straight Kentucky-Fried legitimacy.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    C|BE , must be an expert.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EthicalHacker01EthicalHacker01 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    EC-Council now offers a Blockchain Certification. It seems like it is much more in-depth training and also more expensive. 

From their website: "Introducing the first Blockchain Professional Training and Blockchain Certification Program to set the global standard in Blockchain Technology. The Certified Blockchain Professional (CBP) Course was developed to help professionals gain the knowledge they need in Blockchain technology to understand its impact on business and beyond."

Thoughts?

iclass.eccouncil.org/our-courses/certified-blockchain-professional/

• Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pfff ...
    An expert is someone who has a broad and deep competence in terms of knowledge, skill and experience through practice and education in a particular field. Informally, an expert is someone widely recognized as a reliable source of technique or skill whose faculty for judging or deciding rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. An expert, more generally, is a person with extensive knowledge or ability based on research, experience, or occupation and in a particular area of study. Experts are called in for advice on their respective subject, but they do not always agree on the particulars of a field of study. An expert can be believed, by virtue of credentials, training, education, profession, publication or experience, to have special knowledge of a subject beyond that of the average person, sufficient that others may officially (and legally) rely upon the individual's opinion on that topic. Historically, an expert was referred to as a sage (Sophos). The individual was usually a profound thinker distinguished for wisdom and sound judgment.
    This "Certificate" seems to be just bullshit to describe it in a gentle way. I noticed, that many "trendy hipster" topics place a tsunami of buzzwords and triggerwords in their ads to fool the unexperienced one (*"decisionmaker"*"economists"*) to throw away invest capital.

Same goes for K8S, Docker etc. ...later 2 are fine in their special use case, but people tend to abuse technics just for the sake of <place_your_hipster_tech_here>. Than the wrong people mess it up because marketing told them how cool the new tech is.

If one wants to really understand and use effective a technology, one has to study weeks to month (even years) to master something. And one can't master something without practice. Those wannabe certs are a punsh into the face of everyone who learns hard.

In germany, we had a "news" which claimed that refugees without prior knowledge could gain effective programming skills in 3 month. The school behind that got funded ...and a well known feminist in germany defended that "opinion" because she believes refugees can do more due to their exhausting journey from whereever to the country of milk&honey.

The result of that "news":
    The magazin portal (heise.de --> one of the biggest here for IT topics) got more than 5000+ comments, mostly pure negative.

People get fooled with false promises and Blockchain also many other "cloud" related topics caused and will cause financial loss to many companies.

Solution:
    Simply start with the basics, do your math and ROI and don'T believe in snake oil. Not every tech that works "for them" does work for you.

Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• amitaryaamitarya Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To become a Blockchain Expert, certification plays an important role. Blockchain certifications recognize you as a certified blockchain expert by adding a credential to your resume. Being certified brings more opportunities for you and increases your chances of getting at a better job. If you are thinking to become a blockchain professional, a blockchain certification will help you stand out of the crowd.

I am Blockchain Certified, used the 
    101 Blockchains CEBP course and will recommend this course to those who want be Blockchian Certified Expert.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's one way to get a buzzword on your resume without too much effort. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited September 2020
    I'm an old-school "Linked List Expert" myself.  ;)