Passed Sec+ but now the 501

elbennettelbennett Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I passed my Sec+ exam in Sept last year. I just got an email talking about the renewal and the 501 exam. i thought if we got the ceu units that was how to keep everything current. Am i looking at the the wrong way or do they just want to get an extra $175 outta me?
2018| CEH | CYSA
2019-PROJECT + | VMWARE CERT

Comments

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    elbennett wrote: »
    So I passed my Sec+ exam in Sept last year. I just got an email talking about the renewal and the 501 exam. i thought if we got the ceu units that was how to keep everything current. Am i looking at the the wrong way or do they just want to get an extra $175 outta me?

Since you passed Security+ last year, you can wait 2 more years until your renewal date comes up. When the year in which your cert will expire comes around, you can pay $175 to take the renewal exam to renew it (if you pass).
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They just want to get an extra $175 out of you. I certified on the 301 and it's very much still valid and unexpired.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Plus if you have CEUs you can add that to your account (I got my 301 in 2013, but have renewed twice with the CEUs). I am good until 2023.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    If you want to maintain the Security+ce certification - you can pay each year the fee and take FREE courses from Cybrary to gain those CEU's you need.

You might not have to maintain the cert - but if you do maintain it over the next 3 years - you don't have to worry about a future employer asking for a valid certification.

For example, DOD requires active certification - so, we all maintain the highest cert in the vendor house we have certifications in.

I pay yearly so it's not a huge bill. Then it's good for another 3 yrs after the initial 3 yrs and I don't have to re-test ever again.

What every CEU's you've gained from Cybrary or Udemy training -- apply to all the different vendors you have cert's under. It just shows that you are still active in learning and that you are seeking self-improvement.

If you land another cert - that also counts as CEU's as well. If you get the CASP next year - those CEU's count towards any cert you have with CompTIA or another vendors - just make sure to upload the training cert's or system cert into your account and pay your maintenance fees yearly - and you'll be fine.

For US govt position, they have to be maintained - it seems private industry just wants to see that you got it. It's up to you.
  • elbennettelbennett Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for all the help. Working on my CEH now so thats the new move.
    2018| CEH | CYSA
    2019-PROJECT + | VMWARE CERT